• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by myti.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Elderly parents visiting…
  • IHN

I mean, I love them dearly, I really do, but everything….. takes….. so …… long

Just stop dithering about and get in the muddyfunking shower!

And breathe….

configuration
    Free Member

You’ll be old, one day…

IHN

I know, I know, and I’ll miss them when they’re gone.

But please, just get in the shower…

grim168
    Free Member

I wish my dad could visit…….

fossy

Worse than young adults for getting ready at glacial speed ?

IHN

Worse than young adults for getting ready at glacial speed ?

I think the difference is that young adults take ages getting ready (i.e. the activity itself takes ages), and oldies take ages to get ready (i.e. it takes ages before the activity starts).

I wish my dad could visit…….

I know, this is firmly tongue in cheek, I think the world of them and will be broken when they pop it.

ayjaydoubleyou

I think the difference is that young adults take ages getting ready (i.e. the activity itself takes ages), and oldies take ages to get ready (i.e. it takes ages before the activity starts).

for the retired with their limitless free time, the shower is the/a activity to be savoured and enjoyed, rather than a necessary piece of admin to allow yourself to go out in public.

BigJohn

Age brings a strange combination of urgency and dawdling as far as bathrooms are concerned.

We have actually upsized to a house with an en-suite in the guest bedroom primarily so as not to discourage our daughter (with partner and our granddaughters) from visiting.

fossy

Hmm, deffo the urgency and dawdling. MIL was dreadful for demanding ‘stuff’ is done “now”, forgetting we all worked full time and had a family to care for.

freeagent
    Free Member

TBF – my teenage daughters will give my folks a run for their money in the ‘dicking abut and making us late for everything’ stakes..

matt_outandabout

Having spent the weekend with my octogenarian father, you have my respectful nod.

blurty

Having worked from home through covid, I am now a regular mid-day shopper at the supermarket.

My god, it’s like Jurassic park down there. They all creep round in slow time, look at everything, squeeze the oranges etc

Then in dawned on me that they don’t give a f*ck what other people think, they all smile and chat. They’re enjoying life!

IHN

Well, just before the crack of two thirty in the afternoon, it looks like we might be approaching the point wear we’re nearly ready to leave the house…

nwgiles

just get in the shower…

you seem very keen for them to get in the shower…… what are you telling us

multi21
    Free Member

blurty

Then in dawned on me that they don’t give a f*ck what other people think, they all smile and chat. They’re enjoying life!

Yes I think they bloody love rubbing it in for all the people on their lunch breaks, the gits 😀

“Oh hi Jill, I haven’t seen you since last week, let’s stand here and have a nice old chat with our trolleys blocking the chillers, so the wagies won’t be able to get to the meal deals”

toby1

Combine my Mum’s need to ‘mother’ with her partners lack of short term memory and it’s a world of ‘Go and brush your teeth’, ‘ Have you taken your pills’, ‘Where are my glasses’. It’s best to prepare to not leave the house till 7 cups of tea have been made and breakfast is done and all teeth are at least double brushed and if you don’t rush, well then you have to ensure lunch is had as said partner is a Type1 diabetic (so this I appreciate does make it really important to keep his blood sugar up). It’s pretty taxing, although to be fair they are fine to take it easy while we go out with the doggo.

My wife’s Dad is 79 and does none of this by the way, he just gets on with stuff.

crazy-legs

I’m at my Mum’s at the moment – one of the rooms is being decorated so I’ve done much of the lifting, furniture moving etc.

Every action involves a prolonged search for the required accessories. Glasses, purse, keys, coat, phone… All need to be painstakingly found then a final trip to the loo followed by a decision to take these shoes not those which then necessitates a final final trip to the loo before – 2hrs after its first been considered – leaving the house.

Even something as simple as using the internet requires much searching to find the tablet first. Showed her the location feature (find my phone) which solved that. Mind blown!

fossy

My dad’s quite funny. If he’s off to the pub, he won’t wait for people to faff, he’s off. 3pm every day, he goes for a wander.

zippykona

And what is it with them needing to go to the supermarket every bloody day.

wheelsonfire1

I’ve got a stairlift in classifieds if that would speed things up for anyone? You can always stop it half way up, at least you’ll know where they are!

myti
    Free Member

Think we all go a bit strange as we get older. When I want to have a shower when staying at my mum’s house, invariably I first have to put my hand into cold, mucky water and drain the bath and chuck some soggy jeans or socks into the bathroom sink as my step mum insists on saving water by washing her clothes in her bath water. Despite there being a shower she insists on having a bath every morning though only allows herself about 3 inches of water. What’s the point of that?! Just have a shower! 🤯 Ps they are very well off and can afford to run the washing machine and have a proper bath if they want. See also not allowed the heating on until it’s baltic and the single glazed windows are dripping with water and only at a maximum of 18 degrees but will burn bits of old fence panel in log burner so it’s not about saving the environment.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.