Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Elderly parent and Social Services Support?
  • cb

Hi

My folks are both into their 80s now and one is really struggling (Parkinsons, mobility etc). I’m 3 hours away so can’t be there regularly.

Can anyone offer advice on what is available from social services? They own their own home but have zero savings and live on basic pension. Can things like bathroom modifications be done for example – getting showered is becoming a real issue.

Even home help would be welcome but assume more likely to get structural help rather than visitations during these odd times?

Thanks in advance.

poolman
    Free Member

My mother has Parkinson’s and would not let anyone get involved re help. A few years ago i got so miffed I applied for attendance allowance by phoning the govt number.

The forms basically interrogate needs, with a doctor’s diagnosis you just put that in as requested. All the other questions are whether you need night cover as well.

About 2 months later we got the day rate, 55gbp pw, backdated to the initial phone call. We use that to py for a daily visit to help showering.

The other big win for us was getting on the district nurse radar, instead of going to hospital the nurses do home visits to dress wounds, flu injections etc.

We also take her to a Parkinson’s club where they do mobility exercises. Best thing there is you can compare how the sufferer is doing. My mothers by far the oldest there, the youngest are in their 40s.

Hope it helps, pm me if u need more info.

tjagain

First port of call is local social services. I doubt you will get modifications done but equipment can be loaned such as shower chairs and of course visits are still being done but due to deliberate tory policy help given is extremely cursory and you will wait months to get any

IIRC attendence allowance cannot be applied for for people over retirement age.

I would be using equity release from the property to pay for care.

poolman
    Free Member

Ok just looked on govt website its 60 gbp pw day rate, 90 if night help needed. With a Parkinson’s diagnosis just fill in the form and write the doctor details who diagnosed it. Apparently it’s the most underclaimed benefit and is not taxable.

No idea re pension credits I am afraid.

cb

So getting a walk in bath (they don’t have a seperate shower) fitted is simply not an option? I would have thought that would be the easier option for keeping people in their homes rather than in care etc?

tjagain

CB – I doubt it. It depends I think on local rules. What they would be offered is a gadget to help them in and out of the bath of which there are a variety available

Contact local social services. They are bound to perform a proper assessment

I am wrong on attendance allowance – it is payable to retired

https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance

~why not use equity release to redo the bathroom? Again its what I would do. due to deliberate tory policy councils simply cannot cope with the costs of providing home care and as its privatised pay is so poor that the companies that provide the care cannot recruit

MoreCashThanDash

From what I can gather, adaptations are very much a varies by local authority issue.

Groups like AgeUK, or a Parkinson’s charity may well be able to offer advice. Definitely look at pension credit or other benefits in case they qualify, a lot goes unclaimed

theboatman
    Free Member

In relation to bathroom adaptations these would be dependent on assessment of need by social services Occupational Therapist. They can fund smaller adaptations,but over a certain amount they would have to apply for Disabled Facilities Grant from the Borough council. These are means tested, and the pace of this process depends on council.

Home care is again dependent on assessment of need in line with the Care Act. Each council will have there own charging policies, but also they should maximise your folks benefits and if one is technically carer for the other they should undertake a carer’s assessment which can also access other supports. If eligible social services could either commission services on your behalf or you could have your budget in the form of a direct payment and commission your own. Note that their idea of what is sufficient support may differ from yours, a good example being you may think the carers should cook a meal from fresh ingredients, where as they will commission the time to microwave them a meal. So you may need to self fund services they seem not essential. They will also help link.into other local preventive services.

There are a raft of community therapy/ short term services in each area, but these vary link with local NHS services.

loum
    Free Member

Parkinson’s UK were very helpful around these things. They’ll know the local setup too.
    Also, strangely, the Alzheimer’s society we’re brilliant with helping my mum around getting care help and funding. And that’s without any Alzheimer’s.

poolman
    Free Member

It does seem to vary by area, my mate in Manchester is similar to me looking after his elderly parents. He gets taxi vouchers so I asked for them where we are and it isn’t done.

The 60gbp attendance allowance is a uk flat rate, in the north a care visit is 20 gbp for 30 mins, it’s double in the south.

Also try and get a plan if things go downhill quickly or you will be chasing round looking at care homes. We re quite aware that a fall for an elderly person can change everything v quickly.

gordimhor

What TJ said + 1.  Get onto both social services and gp if possible. As far as mobility aids and adaptations to the home are concerned it’ll be the occupational therapist you want. I may be wrong but  I think OT’s are doing assessment over the phone if possible just now, and I don’t think they’re doing home visits .

fossy

We managed to get a fancy washing and drying toilet for MIL through social services. Unfortunately MILs confidence walking across the room was dented after a fall, so she had a commode next to her in the lounge. She had carers come in 4 times a day.

Bucko

First port of call is their GP mate, they are the gateway to everything

trusty

As said above contact their Adult Social Care team. You don’t needs a referral via the GP, in my experience a lot of GPs have limited knowledge of how ASC works anyway. Before contacting ASC you will need consent from your folks to make a referral.

Anyone over 65 can apply for Attendance Allowance, if both parents have needs they can both apply. Regarding Carer’s Allowance, unless things have changed drastically since I stopped working for ASC 6 months ago you can’t claim if you’re getting a pension. The easiest way to apply for Attendance Allowance is on the http://www.gov.uk website, you can do it all online. Or ring and have the forms posted.

cb

Thnaks all – appreciate it

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Some good advice above – it’s a real postcode lottery though in terms of how quickly they may be assessed, charging policies, what will be funded etc.

Just wondered if you or another relative has Power of Attorney? If not this would be well worth exploring in terms of decision making further down the line.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Elderly parent and Social Services Support?’ is closed to new replies.