Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)
  • Elderly gentlewomen's tea-drinking/riding trip in June
  • Esme
    Free Member

Several people have said they’ll come for just one day.
    I’ll need to stay indoors (BnB) because of my pesky hayfever 🙁 otherwise I’ll scratch my eyeballs out.
    Will you guys be camping, Ceefa?

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Ooh got quite excited at the idea of this . . . The realised I’ll be at Glastonbury :/

ceefa
    Free Member

Yes we will be camping..
    I’ll take a look at campsite tomorrow when I’ve got 5mins 😉

funkynick

I’m Mrs Funky Nick….*looks shy* Can I come on the Sunday please? I’ve been out of action on my bike for a while with a bit of a pants spell of fybromyalgia – happily things are starting to look up now but am far from fit. I’m also typing this whilst making the most unladylike, but quite funny groaning noises as I had a laparoscopy on Tuesday (broken innards) and the gas is being a bugger.

jambalaya
    Free Member

You need a name to match @pook’s “Peaks Pootle”. Very nice idea OP and always great to see STW isn’t entirely blokes.

EDIT:

My arse in on the back cover (whoops sorry for that worthless piece of info)

Let me search out a copy and be the judge of that 😉

Sorry to bring the excellent tone of this thread down a bit, boys will be boys.

Esme
    Free Member

But it won’t be as energetic as the Pootles, jambalaya!
    We’re inspired by Ton’s notorious famous trips . . . but without the semi-naked wrestling (we are not a re-enactment society 🙄 )

So perhaps Shecycles Shuffle might be more appropriate? 😳

Esme
    Free Member

Mrs Funky Nick: “most unladylike, but quite funny groaning noises”
    Are we talking about farting the gentle sound of a unicorn giggling?
    ‘Cos that gas has to escape somewhere, doesn’t it?

alisonsmiles
    Free Member

I tick the boxes for this. Might substitute coffee for the tea though. I may bring a suitable riding partner for Mr Bunnyhop with me.

nbt

Fantastic, Mr Smiles (he shall henceforth be known as Mr Smiles in all cases 🙂 ) can spend the ride discussing the finer points of Glossop’s transport nightmare with Binners, and explain why it’s caused him to abandon ship and move to New Mills

Bunnyhop

but quite funny groaning noises and the gas is being a bugger.

Believe me there has been many a moment on an omg mtbing moment when large amounts of wind have been passed. Usually nobody notices because I’m usually at the back.

P.S. get well soon.

BadlyWiredDog

Glowers balefully at NBT.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Can we have a blokey equivalent please? I believe ton’s lot are a bit fast for me.

funkynick

Thanks for the get well soon… Oh how I wish this gas WAS ‘the gentle sound of a unicorn giggling’…unfortunately they pump up your abdominal cavity with it and it just has to sort of disperse into your body. The temptation to stab yourself and fly around the room like a punctured balloon is great.
    However, good to good to know that if I do feel the need to ‘giggle’ on the ride I shall be in non judgemental company 🙂
    (Mrs Funky)

nbt

ahh, that takes me back to the heady days of BluTone’s description of such in the picolax thread

Esme
    Free Member

Ahem . . [polite cough] . . there’s been a distinct “lowering the tone” on this thread 🙄
    And we all know who’s responsible, don’t we, boys and girls?
    [gives stern look in direction of Bunnyhop’s arse]

allthegear
    Free Member

Young? Hmm – I’m 44 – not feeling to young at the moment, either, but thanks for the boost!

Rachel

Bunnyhop

Esme – Member
    Ahem . . [polite cough] . . there’s been a distinct “lowering the tone” on this thread
    And we all know who’s responsible, don’t we, boys and girls?
    [gives stern look in direction of Bunnyhop’s arse]

Looking forward to this now, as everyone is showing gsoh.

Esme
    Free Member

Ceefa, have you found a suitable campsite yet?
    The Visit Peak District website has a good selection.

Esme
    Free Member

Bunnyhop wrote: “I’ll look after CG, we’ll be gassing at the back.”
    Doh, the penny’s only just dropped . . . I thought you meant talking 🙄

Bunnyhop

Haha, that really was what I meant, however in light of other conversations, well spotted Esme 🙂

pinktortoise
    Free Member

Hope to join you for at least one day . . . .

I have another definite for the Sunday and a maybe.

(formally Mrs Funky aka Mrs Gassy)

Divagirl
    Free Member

count me in, please … was going to camp but a B&B sounds nicer 🙂 where are you staying Esme, could you message or text me please – it’s Lisa C here !!

Esme
    Free Member

Excellent, the more the merrier!

I’ve ridden the routes again this month, and they are both lovely. Easy enough for beginners to find a smooth line, but with some “gnarly” options for you, Divagirl.

But obviously my main purpose was to check out the teashops, on behalf of you all. The Chocolate Alabama cake was a bit sickly, and the Westmorland Pepper Cake has an odd aftertaste! I probably should go back to sample a few more, shouldn’t I? 😀

I’ll post full details at the beginning of June, but in the meantime, my gmail address is in my profile (Esme on a bike, without spaces) if anyone requires more information before then.

Esme
    Free Member

. . . oh, and Cinnamon Girl . . . you’ll be pleased to hear that all the muddy puddles have been filled in with golden nuggets. And the track along the “Edges” was sparkling with diamond glitter. Will that be enough for The Captain? Or would you like it strewn with rose petals as well? 🙄

cinnamon_girl

Gosh, I’m falling behind with this thread so furiously trying to catch up whilst giggling. 😀

Has anyone discovered a nice b & b? If you have please post up the details or e-mail in profile. Thanks! I shall be staying 2 nights so had better get myself sorted.

Esme – great news re the puddles and am sure the Cap’n will be relieved. 😉

Esme
    Free Member

Full details now posted:
    Saturday 27 June Day 1 and Sunday 28 June Day 2
    Ton doesn’t pamper the lads on his rides like this, y’know 😉

Esme
    Free Member

A few people have asked about accommodation . . . so, where is everyone staying?

The Leeds contingent are intending to camp, and some of us are B’n’B-ing in various places around Baslow/Bakewell. All the YHAs seem to be fully-booked, unfortunately.

And obviously some people will just come for one of the days (even though both rides will be lovely).

alisonsmiles
    Free Member

Think I might just pop over for the Sunday ride. I’m not good at lunch stops. I get cold and my legs seize up. Tea and cake is just about manageable!!!

Esme
    Free Member

I don’t want anyone doing anything they are not entirely comfortable with, and you obviously know your own body best, Alison.

But we can easily arrange for you to have a shorter lunch-stop on the Saturday. There’s an optional extra loop in the first section, which will leave you just enough time for a cuppa and a Tunnock’s Tea Cake (yes, they really do serve them 😯 )

I am definitely still coming to the Sunday ride – it looks fab, thanks Esme for the really good information. And easy enough that I’ll have plenty of breath for gabbing. I’ve been instructed by t’other half that I’m not just allowed to talk to the friend coming along 🙂

Esme
    Free Member

Yes, your hubby is quite correct, my dear. Etiquette demands that you mingle with the other guests. How else will you pick up the best tips for avoiding the dreaded Helmet Hair?

Or that old perennial: which nail polish is sufficiently chip-resistant to mend a puncture?
    (Trick question, silly! Obviously you ask a man to do this for you)

Oh bother . . . I seem to have turned into one of those “Superior” Lady Cyclists 😳

ton

me and mrs t have booked into a bnb in bakewell for fri/sat.
    anyone fancy a pint on friday, please let me know.

that is if gentlewomen sup pints……. 😀

Esme
    Free Member

Mine’s a dry sherry, please 😉
    (yes, I’ll be there)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My Mrs has shown an interest in this, however she doesn’t have a bike & even if she did she can’t ‘do corners’.

This could be a problem.

ton

Jim
    we have a bike she can borrow.

vickypea
    Free Member

Sounds like fun. I’d join you but I’m off to Wales mtbing that weekend, with 11 gentlemen in a bunkhouse! I’ll be attempting to keep up with them.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Cheers Tony. Another ‘slight problem’ is that Sue hasn’t even sat on a bike since 2003, & that was a flat ride round Rutland Water. (She’s 58 as well, like me)

Had a message off Esme so am in consultation! We’ll see.

Bunnyhop

Right! I’m finally back on a bike and will be at the Sunday ride.
    Tonight is my first night ride since mid April and will be interesting to see how unfit I really am. Looking forward to not having to use lights until the very last few miles.

Promise to talk to others in group not just my friend Alisonsmiles.

Will also be nice to catch up with Binners, Ton and others 🙂

I may be wearing pink (it’s not fashionable, trendy or cool with mtbing ladies but I don’t give a toss) 🙂

Esme
    Free Member

Well done, Bunnyhop – enjoy your ride this evening!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Elderly gentlewomen's tea-drinking/riding trip in June’ is closed to new replies.