Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Elderly drivers are plain scary!
  • neninja
    Free Member

Why on earth do they not insist on compulsory retests or evaluation for fitness to driver over the age of something like 75?

When I used to have motorcycles, I was always having old people pull out on me. In the last few days I’ve had 2 near misses only avoided as I saw grey hair behind the wheel and slowed as a precaution.

In both cases elderly drivers have come out of side roads from the left without even looking to the right! Once straight across in front of me from a t-junction and the other straight into my path from a side road.

I could almost understand if I was on my bicycle but I was driving a rather large orange pick-up!! How the hell to drivers over the age of 65 qualify for insurance discounts, they leave a trail of destruction in their wake!

allthegear
    Free Member

I just don’t see why it is acceptable to drive for 50 years without needing to prove you can cope in what are massively different driving conditions.

I would really like to see a requirement to re-certify every ten years, for all of us. Yes, even me.

Rachel

captaincarbon
    Free Member

You have to fill in a self declaration form every 3 years to say your still fit to drive when you reach the age of 70…

Dont see a problem with that! 8)

wrecker
    Free Member

Retests at 65+ every 5 years.

GrahamS

Just “Retests at 65+ every 5 years” would be my preferred option!

If you worked in a factory handling a heavy piece of fast, dangerous machinery that killed thousands every year then you’d be regularly trained, retested and certified to use it.

Can’t really see why the car is any different.

40mpg

linkyThere was a 90 year old doctor (I assume retired) who killed someone near me recently after driving the wrong way up a dual carriage way. Numerous people flashed him but he continued until he collided with someone.

The day before he had failed an eye test, but still deemed himself fit to drive.

He got a suspended sentence.

I despair 🙄

Edit – linky

mogrim

In Spain there’s a compulsory medical test every 10 years for under 65s, and every 5 after (I think). If you fail you don’t get to renew your license. Not sure why the UK doesn’t do something similar.

glupton1976
    Free Member

No – what is scary if the state of old people in hospital who think that they will be safe to drive when they leave.

Northwind

My grandad decided to hand in his licence after he had an absence seizure… But he found it surprisingly difficult, the DSA didn’t really seem to understand why he wanted to stop driving, and kept telling him he didn’t have to give up his licence unless he was medically disqualified. Crazy.

nickewen
    Free Member

Thoroughly agree with GrahamS’s comment. A car is exactly that: a dangerous piece of machinery. I think lots of people don’t realise this because modern cars are so comfortable and quiet and are often just seen as a fashion acccessory.

druidh
    Free Member

What should happen is that the cost of motor insurance for old folk should reflect the relative danger they pose on the roads.

Oh…….

http://www.dft.gov.uk/statistics/releases/road-accidents-and-safety-annual-report-2010

Page 157/9

Junkyard
    Free Member

What GrahamS said a million times

It is always someoen else who needs retesting and never actually me or them

mate of mine passed his test and did not drive for 20 years or go near a car until he bought one.
    thankfully he kept stalling it when he tried to drive and actually listened to the advice of having lessons- he is still a crap driver.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Grahams is spot on.
    I work as a truck driver and have to retake my hiab (fold up crane) test every 3 years, but nothing for my driving license. 😯

jota180
    Free Member

Not allowing anyone to drive until they reach the age of 30 would have a much bigger impact [ 8) ] on accident stats

glupton1976
    Free Member

Not letting anyone drive unles they can gain the RoSPA Gold standard would work.

loum
    Free Member

Not allowing anyone to drive until they reach the age of 30 would have a much bigger impact on accident stats

😉

rudebwoy
    Free Member

A year on a moped to qualify for starters, would make a lot of difference to attitudes and perception

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

I’m all for retests full stop. Passed my test 5 years ago and wouldn’t see any problem with compulsory resists every 10 years or until 60 then every 5.

Had the same thing happen a few times!

Cougar

I have a theory that anyone who wears a hat / headgear whilst driving should automatically be banned. Seems to be a common denominator.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

so thats anti helmet then cougar– you know the stats, head injuries in cars account for a lot of damage

pennine
    Free Member

I passed my driving test 47yrs ago. Held HGV licence (now C+E) since 1970. Undergone four 5-yearly medicals. So medically I’m ok and I don’t legally need to re-test (yet). For every old geezer who looses the plot there appears to be an awful lot of young uns who kill/maim themselves or others. Oops sterotyping all youngsters (how dare I) 👿

Couger: I don’t wear a hat 😉

Founder of the company I work for is 95 and drives a big 4×4. Now that does makes me nervous…..

watsontony
    Free Member

Founder of the company I work for is 95 and drives a big 4×4. Now that does makes me nervous…..

do you work for winfields?

pennine
    Free Member

Nope

crazy-legs

Can you imagine if cars had only just been invented? H&S would be all over it!

I used to work in a chemical lab and the PPE and training we had to go through to dispense chemicals was (rightly) very strict. Yet you can go to a petrol station and dispense flammable toxic liquid with no PPE or training, no facilities for washing your hands afterwards.

Then you can get into 2 tonnes of vehicle and mix it on the roads with thousands of others in a massive variety of vehicles, some of whom may not have been tested for 50+ years!

Look at it that way and it’s insane but becasue it’s “just evolved that way”, we just put up with it, accepting 3500 deaths per year as part of the price of freedom to travel.
    My grandfather became absolutely terrifying in his old age, he’d had cataracts (operated on), was awful at judging speed/distance but the doctor never stopped him driving. 😯

porter_jamie

I have definitely seen a decline in my fathers driving standards. He is 70 now. In his 50s he was a model driver, smooth, considerate, and he also used to drive a fire engine for a living, so did lots of training.

Recently i have noticed he has difficulty judging distances, and speeds, particularly pulling out of junctions and roundabouts. I suspect he is also less mobile, so may not be able to look over his shoulder as well as he could.

I am absolutely in favour of some kind of retesting. A simple one would be if the person is unable to engage the clutch without dialling in at least 7500rpm, then they should be banned immediately! (why do some old people do that? hearing loss?)

oliverd1981
    Free Member

If you go to buy a Hyundai Getz or similar that should equal a permenant disqualification as you clearly do not like driving.

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

I am all for compulsory retests – there are a lot of people who don’t know the speeds for roads, have no lane discipline and can not judge distance. Never look in their blind spots, are blinded by the sun but still pull out but the government will never enforce this as it will reduce the number of revenue they receive and they will alienate some of their voters.

stratobiker
    Free Member

On the other hand……

Some young drivers are just plain scary.

It’s not a race!
    Don’t we all want to get there safe?

Just cuz I’m old and slow, do you have more right on the road than me cuz you is young and fast????

stumpyjon

Fully agree with comments above, of course i’m better than average driver (along with 85% of motorists) but would graciously submit to a retest and medical every 5 years, mandatory eye test every 2 years ( many people have terrible eyesight but don’t realise).

Be political suicide though, the age concern lobby would cry discrimination against the elderly , many people would oppose it because they’d be scared of failure, the Left would cry discrimination of the poor (can’t see the retests being free). Then we’d have the sob stories where people are allowed to continue driving because a ban would destroy their lives (like the people driving around with 20+ points on there licence). Good ideas though.

GrahamS

accepting 3500 deaths per year as part of the price of freedom to travel

Down to 1850 deaths these days, but still way to high. And over 208,000 injuries per year!

there are a lot of people who don’t know the speeds for roads

Yep. I see a lot of people who quite clearly think that the speed limit on a dual carriageway is still 60 (the temporary 1973-1977 limit). Or who think a dual carriageway is a road with two lanes in each direction. 😯

This is one of the issues with the whole “pass a test at 17 and you’re good for fifty+ years” system: speed limits change, road rules change, new signs are introduced, safety advice changes – plus of course, bad habits develop and driving gets sloppy.

We should ALL be retested every five years as a condition of driving.

aracer
    Free Member

I have a cheaper solution than making everybody take regular retests. You could just survey every registered driver and ask them if they think regular retests are a good idea. Only those who say “Yes” get to continue driving.

samuri
    Free Member

everyone should be restested every five years anyway. **** useless bastards. I hate the drivers on our roads. God they are terrible.

YOU DON’T OWN THE ROAD!

YOU DON’T HAVE A RIGHT OVER OTHER PEOPLE BECAUSE YOUR VEHICLE IS BIGGER/FASTER/MORE EXPENSIVE.

PEOPLE DIE EVERY DAY, ABOUT TEN OF THEM ON THE ROADS SIMPLY BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE IN A RUSH OR THEY DON’T PAY ATTENTION. 40 PEOPLE EVERY YEAR DIE WHEN WALKING ALONG THE PAVEMENT. THIS IS DUE TO DICKHEAD DRIVERS.

OVERTAKING SLOWER ROAD USERS WILL GET YOU ABOUT TEN **** YARDS DOWN THE ROAD, THEN THE SLOWER ROAD USERS WILL PASS YOU AGAIN AT THE NEXT JUNCTION. GROW UP YOU PATHETIC IDIOTS. TRY ANTICIPATING STUFF

YAY LOOK AT ME, i’M WAVING A LOADED GUN ABOUT MY HEAD WHILE TEXTING SOMEONE AND MASTURBATING. THIS IS CRAZY ISN’T IT? YET PEOPLE DO IT EVERY DAY IN THEIR CARS. GROW UP YOU CHILDREN!!!!

and many more rants about cars. I like fast cars and that but IU’d happily see every single one of them rmeoved from our roads for the simple reason that out of the 60 million people in Britain I’d probably trust one or two of them to drive a car and not do some cockend stuff in it.

samuri
    Free Member

I have a theory that anyone who wears a hat / headgear whilst driving should automatically be banned. Seems to be a common denominator.

+1 plus, anyone with a fish on the boot.

Cougar

plus, anyone with a fish on the boot.

Generally, I take that to mean that they’re following their god’s example, and therefore expect them to start moving in mysterious ways.

m1kea
    Free Member

stumpyjon – Member

Fully agree with comments above, of course i’m better than average driver (along with 85% of motorists) but would graciously submit to a retest and medical every 5 years, mandatory eye test every 2 years ( many people have terrible eyesight but don’t realise).

Be political suicide though, the age concern lobby would cry discrimination against the elderly , many people would oppose it because they’d be scared of failure, the Left would cry discrimination of the poor (can’t see the retests being free). Then we’d have the sob stories where people are allowed to continue driving because a ban would destroy their lives (like the people driving around with 20+ points on there licence). Good ideas though.

+100 (and saved me typing the same thing :D)

Unfortunately this will NEVER happen as it is political suicide. However I’m sure there has been research and costings on this very topic. For example, would you do the retests on the X anniversary of passing the test, or from a driver’s date of birth?

Ed2001
    Free Member

Always felt the wearing of a hat while driving indicates the drivers heart isn’t really in it and they would prefer to be on a bus using their free bus pass.
    As for retesting the cost would be enormous and the Daily Mail would hate the idea.

rocketman
    Free Member

Elderly drivers are plain scary

There were two in front of me at the petrol station this morning

Not sure what the first one was doing he wasn’t taking fuel or paying he was just standing by his car (occupying a pump) with the doors open. The other one had pulled up on the wrong side so the fuel line was stretched over his car and the nozzle didn’t fit properly so it was pissing fuel everywhere.

We’ll all be old one day 🙂

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

samuri – Member

OVERTAKING SLOWER ROAD USERS WILL GET YOU ABOUT TEN **** YARDS DOWN THE ROAD, THEN THE SLOWER ROAD USERS WILL PASS YOU AGAIN AT THE NEXT JUNCTION. GROW UP YOU PATHETIC IDIOTS. TRY ANTICIPATING STUFF

Not everyone who overtakes is doing so in the belief that they will get to their destination any more quickly. Overtaking is allowed, you do know that?

I’m all for more rigorous driving tests and frequent re-tests.

GrahamS

As for retesting the cost would be enormous

Current practical test costs £62

I don’t think paying that every five years would be an outrageous burden – and in all likelihood the costs could be driven down by the increased demand anyway.

neninja
    Free Member

I hope the 80 year old woman that did this to ‘restore’ a classic fresco hasn’t got a driving license.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19349921

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Elderly drivers are plain scary!’ is closed to new replies.