Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • ELBNO April 2014 / MTB Marathon for a 13 year old
  • lorax

I’ve had the email about this year’s MTB Marathon series (http://www.mtb-marathon.co.uk/) but it doesn’t give any meaningful information about the Exposure Lights Big Night Out on 12 April. I’ve searched around a bit, including on here, and haven’t found anything more.

I did one of these events many years ago, back when they were sponsored by Merida, but nothing since. I like the idea of an overnight ride, as does my 13 year old son. He’s a good rider (much better than me) but I have no idea what it entails or if it will be too much for him. We should almost certainly just do the 25km course during the day, but if the overnight one is feasible it would be good to know.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

catcher
    Free Member

I’ve been doing various events with my son, now 16, for a good few years, all the old races I used to do plus a few of the more modern ones like the Ardrock. He’s a very good rider, attracting a bit of sponsorship now but it was often hard to get this across to the organisers, as obviously they have insurance issues. I’ve found the Welsh boys very friendly and encouraging – the Coedy Enduro for example just asked that I ride the same distance as my son, rather than the longer ride, so that I’d have the legs to go assist him if anything went wrong. So far they’ve all gone very smoothly and he’s now perfectly capable of racing alone. 24hr Finale is planned. I’d think carefully about the night event as obviously there’s quite a bit of potential for disaster. Nice to see though and good luck!

lorax

Many thanks! Good advice – I think the night ride would be too much 🙂

cakefest
    Free Member

I’ve been to these specific events including Builth and Long Mynd for the last few years and there are quite a few youngsters taking part. They’re great courses, with good facilities and feed stations, and they’re well attended with all abilities of riders offering help to other riders they see in trouble.

Plus it looks like they’re encouraging under 16s to take part, see any of the event pages on the left hand side.

Kids Ride for Free

Children under 16 ride free with a paying adult (terms apply)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

There’s always the North Pennine MTB Marathon

https://www.facebook.com/pages/North-Pennines-MTB-Marathon/239603412888357

Not set an age limit yet. Maybe 13 with an adult would be ok. 🙂

lorax

thanks guys – both sound good! We could do the April one as a warm-up for the North Pennines one in July…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ELBNO April 2014 / MTB Marathon for a 13 year old’ is closed to new replies.