• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by si77.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Elan Valley route
  • SOAP
    Free Member

Going this Saturday en route to north Wales.
    Has anyone got a route/gpx or strava I could have?
    Looking for 15-20 miles and 1000m accent to incorporate the trail centre bermy bit.
    Thanks

si77

Start at Visitor centre. Up puke hill, down to the river then along sunken road to Claerwen Dam. Head back along road just under 1km and head up bridleway behind Ciloerwynt farm on the left, over the top and drop onto the fireroad at the top of the new bermy trails. Don’t have a gpx sorry. Cycle trail back to visitor centre when you’ve done a few runs.

Edit: The first bit from visitor centre to the dam is all part of the Trans Cambrian Way route, so should be easy to find a gpx for that.

sri16v
    Free Member

Agree with that, but to add a bit more length and climbing, turn left over the dam bridge after the new mtb trails and follow the cycle path for a further few miles.

Cross the road, then follow the gravel path uphill through the trees before turning right before the dam at Pen y garreg and head for the black cottage climb, stick to the left and it’s all climb able(although a tough one)

Once on the top head left on the Well used grassy track towards esgair penygarreg before heading down to the road.

Turn left and take the road up to Penrhiw wen and follow the track which picks up the golf links descent and back into Rhayader

Don’t underestimate the climbing, can easily hit 1400m climbing in sub 40k

scuttler

Is this a good ‘part 2’ to the route originally described if starting from Elan Village? (Clockwise, then back on the road)

SOAP
    Free Member

Jeeez this forum has slowed down.
    I went elsewhere and am going to ride this route
    57F66240-1D1A-4C84-9DD9-2499308892B0.jpeg

Any good?

si77

Assuming clockwise:

The Roman road is a fun descent at the end. Lot of deep standing water in places, but may have dried up since I was there. The climb up from Craig Goch is a bit of a slog on the grass. The run from Rhayader to Elan is a bit dull.

SOAP
    Free Member

@si77
    Yeah it be clockwise. Not filling me with to much hope for this route full with a grassy slog of a climb.
    Would you consider any of the routes on the elan website?
    https://www.elanvalley.org.uk/explore/cycling/mountain-biking

Really need a gpx as the mrs is riding with me, so a wrong turn up a gravel track behind a farm house to a 5 mile hike won’t cut it 😂

si77

The Black Cottage route on there is probably closest to your original brief @SOAP. Goes through the Nantgwyllt trails area.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Elan Valley route’ is closed to new replies.