Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Elan Valley
  • pedlad

I’m planning a day out in the hills one weekday before the kids finish school and have never ridden the trails at Elan valley. Are they gravelly or boggy? Is it a grim moorland no-no at this time of year?

Other option may be the Gap route as that looks to be more rocky and weatherproof?

icarus
    Free Member

There are a huge choice of routes starting in Rhayader,best bet would be to visit Clive Powell’s bike shop in town and I’m sure they can help you out.

submarined
    Free Member

I rode there last summer. Beautiful place, lovely rambling ride, nothing tech but still enjoyable. Did the ‘Black Cottage’ route here: https://www.mbwales.com/agents/elan-valley/
    However, some bits were very wet even in June. Main bits I remember we’re the moor on top near the end, and the wide right of way going towards the river crossing/dam, I’d have thought it would be much worse at the moment! Lovely memorable ride, for all the right reasons.

reluctantjumper

That Black Cottage ride is great but very weather dependant. The section leading up to the Claerwen Dam before you cross the river and head back east will be either very wet right now or underwater. I love going there in the autumn but couldn’t this year, wouldn’t go there now as lots of the ground will be waterlogged. Locals may well know how to link the drier, rockier sections together in a loop, my knowledge doesn’t go that far sadly. I know the Golf Links route is very weatherproof but it’s 50% road and I always do it as part of a bigger loop, just that loop wouldn’t fill a day.

The Gap is mainly rocky as an alternative seeing as you mentioned it but if it’s cold and/or windy at this time of year you can get into trouble on the tops and the actual Gap can be a giant lump of solid ice that’s impossible to get down safely! Choose your day on that one if you do ride it!

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not really one location in the same way that a particular forest might be. It’s a pretty big area and you are doing what would these days be termed ‘adventure’ riding. Not technical, mostly, but long and remote.

IIRC the by-way descent from Penrhiw Wen down to Rhaeadr is a highlight, if that’s the one I am thinking of.

sri16v
    Free Member

I ride elan all year round as its my local riding spot, so I know it like the back of my hand.

As said before its quite a big area which can be linked up and all sorts of routes can be created, don’t underestimate the climbing, most rides will be 700m+ even around the 20k mark (or it could be all the ones I do!)

Its pretty rideable in all weathers but you will get pretty wet and cold, can be a pretty miserable place in the wrong conditions.

Biggest problem is the majority of the climbing is on grass and this time of year makes for a bit of a slog!

There’s nothing really technical up there apart from the gulley run, but it does make for some great old school mtb.

There’s a couple of man made trails above the church now which can be incorporated into a claerwen side of the valley ride.

Not sure if the rockfall has been repaired on the cycle path before Pen Y Garreg dam which would lead you to bonk Hill and take you to the mountain road and near the top of the golf links climb.

A lot depends on how many miles you want to do?

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

sri16v – How long are those new man made trails?They look interesting but I couldn’t find any info about them.

Nantgwyllt Mountain Bike Trails:

molgrips
    Free Member

Take a fat bike if you have one. I reckon the area’d be far better on a fattie.

docgeoffyjones
    cloggy

I’m wondering if the rock fall closure is legal. PROWs are owned by the council and only they can do TROs [traffic restriction orders]. From what I remember the notices were by the Elan Valley Trust. The “cycle path” is at that point a public bridleway. I’ve had dealings with them before. They were useless. I had to threaten them with the press to force them to follow their own guidance document.

pedlad

Thanks for all the info guys – climbing is no bother as do plenty on the local rides and about 15-30 miles depending on weather and conditions. But

majority of the climbing is on grass and this time of year makes for a bit of a slog!

is why I asked the question as had a suspicion it may be like this so I think I’ll save it for better weather in the spring summer.

thanks again.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Elan Valley’ is closed to new replies.