Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Elan Valley
  • shipton47
    Free Member

I’m planning on doing Elan Valley on friday and looking at the Elan Epic http://www.mbwales.com/listings/elan-epic/ route on mountain bike wales site. Anyone any ideas for alternatives? cheers

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve done most of that (that very small loop in the middle of the ride is the only bit I haven’t done). The track to Claerwen Dam – the western reservoir – will probably still be wet but apart from that now is as good a time to do it as any. The only technical descent is the one dropping to Garreg Ddu reservoir, gets a bit steep at the bottom. The climb to get to that is quite tough. The rest is classic XC style riding.

IHN

We did bits of that loop this very weekend. The track to Claerwen dam was bone dry for most of it, but some sections were under about eight inches of water for decent stretches. All rideable/get aroundable with only slightly damp feet.

It’s a big old ride to do in a one’er though, don’t underestimate it. Amazing place though, really enjoyed it.

singlespeedstu

It’ll be about the dryest it’s ever been at the moment.

Garreg Ddu is a great descent.

Freemincinglite

The climb to get to that is quite tough

Must take my Ebike up there and try it.😜

Might just be possible to make it up the top section in the heather on the left as the rut is now to deep to pedal up.

IHN

Hats off to anyone who can ride ‘that’ bit of that descent.

singlespeedstu

IHN.

It’s not very difficult.

Either wall ride the left like I’m doing in the picture or if your on a slightly less XC bike go straight over the big rock half way up the right of the picture. You do have to kind of hop over the lip on that line though but it’s better if it’s wet as the rock on the wall ride is slippy as.

Keva
    Free Member

I’ve ridden a fair amount of the bridleways round the Elan Valley. I’ll have some on my strava but not sure how the share them on the forum.

IHN

It’s not very difficult

It is if you have my combination of skill and bravery 🙂

Saying that, is that the particularly nadgery bit? It was all pretty steep, but there was one particular bit that was beyond my abilities.

shipton47
    Free Member

Cheers now to talk the OH into the longer route, just telling her it wont get much better underfoot than at the moment.

whitestone
    Free Member

From memory that’s the only nadgery bit. The bit leading to it is steep but OK but does have a drop to the right which makes it feel quite exposed and can unnerve some people.

IHN

Fair enough.

Another thing to be aware of is after the climb up out of Elan village over The Clyn and you start to work across the hillside towards (eventually) the Claerwen dam, watch out for the track splitting at Ty’n-y-pant, grid ref 263153, cos it’s easy to miss the left hand fork of the bridleway and instead take the steep. straight, long footpath all the way down to the reservoir, which means a b@$t@rd of a climb back up again, or a walk/push around the footpath around the reservoir to  Elan village and start again…

singlespeedstu

From memory that’s the only nadgery bit. The bit leading to it is steep but OK but does have a drop to the right which makes it feel quite exposed and can unnerve some people.

Once you’ve crossed the stream the trail has now got quite a deep rut in it all the way down but it only gets steep from that rock roll onwards.

I’ve never noticed any drop to the right.

There again I mainly look at the trail not the view.😋

smudge
    Free Member

That last descent is brilliant, just be careful of any 4×4’s coming up it though – Had a close call last time we did it. Cracking area for riding, also pop into Powells cycles – it’s also a licensed pub! Neil can also recommend you a few routes to do.  oh and  look out for the Red Kites.  But one of my favourite places to ride.
    If you do a weekend you could also do NyR the next day as only about 20-30mins away.

singlespeedstu

The rut has got much deeper the last couple of years but this will give you an idea.

singlespeedstu

Last descent.

Stoner
    Free Member

great videos Stu, nice one

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Elan Valley’ is closed to new replies.