Eight year old's homework puzzle (parental sleep loss)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Eight year old's homework puzzle (parental sleep loss)
  • mildred

Our daughter has been set the following puzzle to solve but none of us can solve it:

A man flew from London to Chicago on Tuesday. He stayed for 2 days and then flew back to London on Tuesday. Explain

It feels like it’s staring us in the face but it’s now beginning to bug us… HELP!!!!

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

The plane’s name is “Tuesday.”

Waderider

Don’t assume he travelled directly. What combination of time zone boundaries could he have crossed?

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

He took the opportunity for time away from his wife and went on a coke & hooker binge from Thursday to the following Monday.

mildred

Don’t assume he travelled directly. What combination of time zone boundaries could he have crossed?

This is the path we went down; we had the plane travelling easy to west, west to east but the time difference is just 6 hrs so it never really works. It’s gonna be Cougar’s answer. I know it.

mildred

Cougar’s answer has put the Mrs in an absolute frothing rage of disbelief. Mint.

Premier Icon cotic853
    Subscriber

Left late Tuesday night heading east, arrived during Thursday, stayed Friday and Saturday leaving late Saturday heading west arriving home early Tuesday. That might not work in reality as I haven’t done any calcs on distances or durations

I agree with Cotic, reckon the long way round would be a 27hr flight without refueling. And that assumes it was Tuesday when he arrived back in London, not when he left Chicago.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Yeah.

You can gain a day by going the long way and crossing the International Date Line. Ie, you could leave on Tuesday and land on Monday. But I’m not seeing an easy way of getting a second day back (or losing a few) unless it’s something wooly like “he stayed for two days, went somewhere else we didn’t mention for five and came back on Tuesday.”

But as a question posed to an eight year old? It’s the name of the plane or his favourite seat cushion or something. Betcha.

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

He’s got a Tuesday tattoo on his arse?

Or, he flew something silly like a Cessna and had to island hop round the top of the Atlantic, or solar powered plane type thing 🙂

Premier Icon phiiiiil
    Subscriber

Did they have international air travel when they changed from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar?

Premier Icon thepurist
    Subscriber

Tuesday is one of the cabin crew and he was flying a mile high. Probably not an 8yo’s answer…

Slogo

Ruby tuesday.

Cougar’s answer has put the Mrs in an absolute frothing rage of disbelief. Mint.

POSTED 9 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST
    See, that’s the problem – bleedin’ grown ups trying to do an 8 yr old’s homework.
    Life ain’t that complicated!

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I love stuff like this. I wonder if there’s legs in a “Logic Puzzles” thread?

cbike

The plane is called Tuesday. Teachers resources easy to find with google… 😉 Bet an 8year old could do it.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

He went somewhere else in the meantime, obvs.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

The kind of smart-arsed question posed by people trying to be clever but aren’t clever enough to realise the difference between cleverness and smart-arsery.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

That’s the sort of reply I’d expect of an STWer who suddenly realised they were wrong (-:

allthepies

If the answer is “the plane is called Tuesday” then that’s the w@nkiest question/answer evva.

Premier Icon thepurist
    Subscriber

Hang on Cougar – when has anyone on STW ever admitted they were wrong?

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I thought I was wrong once.

But I was wrong.

Premier Icon thepurist
    Subscriber

So in the spirit of the thread that means you’ve been wrong more than once!

gonefishin

If the answer is “the plane is called Tuesday” then that’s the w@nkiest question/answer evva.

Only because you didn’t think of it first. Personally I think it’s pretty elegant, but then that’s pretty much where my thoughts went too so I would.

The thing to remember about puzzles is that if the answer isn’t obvious then it isn’t that good a puzzle.

Premier Icon mutley
    Subscriber

“A man flew from London to Chicago on Tuesday. He stayed for 2 days.”

did something else for a few days…

“And then flew back to London on Tuesday.”

The two are not necessarily sequential. There could be a break in between.

8 year old’s homework has come on a bit since i was a nipper 😕

Premier Icon cloudnine
    Subscriber

What was the purpose of the visit??
    Did he fly economy or first class??
    What did he eat on the flight??
    Etc. etc..

There are more potential questions than answers…

peterwp

See you next tuesday? Bit much for an eight year olds

dmjb4

What was the purpose of the visit??
    Did he fly economy or first class??
    What did he eat on the flight??
    Etc. etc..

There are more potential questions than answers…

Was the plane on a conveyor belt?

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

Good that they encourage lateral thinking, but I’d hope they had some real homework to accompany this…

🙂
    It’s good though.

In chicago is every day tuesday?

Premier Icon totalshell
    Subscriber

in rochdale my 8yr daughter said they did this but it was a bloke riding a horse called thursday. must be posh where the OP lives..

tinribz

A man flew from London to Chicago on Tuesday. He stayed for 2 days and then flew back to London on Tuesday. Explain

Left 00:01 Tuesday + 8:35 hours flight time, land 08:36 GMT = 2:36 local time.

+ 2 ‘Jupitor‘ days @ 9:56 = 19:52 (+ 2:36)

Leaves Chicago @ 23:28 Tuesday.

mikewsmith

He flew Ryan air and had to walk for 5 days to get to Chicago once he landed

Suggsey

Surely it’s because he was dyslexic and it was actually Thursday when he flew back?

johndoh

If the answer really is that the plane is called Tuesday, he flew *in* it.

Or on it and was dead when he arrived.

Slogo

johndoh – Member
    If the answer really is that the plane is called Tuesday, he flew *in* it.

Or on it and was dead when he arrived.

bigrich

he went via Auckland.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Eight year old's homework puzzle (parental sleep loss)’ is closed to new replies.