• This topic has 18 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Euro.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Egypt – Winter sun
  • MountainMutant
    Free Member

Thinking of a week away at Easter with the family. 6 and 4 year old kids.

Egypt looks warm.

Can anyone recommend anywhere? Not really my thing but probs just an all inclusive sit by the pool and veg out affair.

MM

EDIT Soz wrong forum

tonyg2003

Hi

We went to Taba last year. Up near the North of the Gulf of Aqaba. Not going again. Just a sit by the pool with lots of drunk Russians place and almost nothing to do outside of the hotel compound (this is the correct term).

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Dahab – up the coast from Sharmel Sheik was a fantastic holiday with Neilson Activity Holidays (part of Thomas Cook) – BUT unfortunately Neilson have stopped doing Egypt…..

However – their beach club activity holidays ARE excellent – lots of food & excellent child care (inclusive). Have been doing Windsurfing & MTBing for a few years. Their Greece B’club holidays has some excellent MTBing!!

MountainMutant
    Free Member

I know the hotel ‘villages’ will be a bit of a ‘compound’ but I can handle that for 7 days if the pools and food is good.

Just want WARM sun and lazyness!I do so much exersise I enjoy a bit of down time now and again.

downhilldave

Agree with Tony, went to Sharm-el-shiek good weather but again too many drunken Ruskys. Try the Canaries, love Fuerteventura myself. Went five times last year. Took the bike great place to ride, off and dare I say on road 🙂

br
    Free Member

My Missus and lad went twice to Sharma. First time they had a cracking time. Second time has just horrible, from crap hotel to all the staff coming on to her constantly etc etc.

Only difference was that the first hotel was Asian run/staffed, and the second was Arab…

nealglover
    Free Member

Baron Resort in Sharm is very nice. We went last year around this time and it was fantastic.

http://www.baronhotelsegypt.com/baronresortsharm/home.asp

nickjb
    Free Member

I like Dahab but mostly because the town is quite nice and moderately unspoilt. There’s great snorkelling right off the beach, too. Those things might not be important to you. It has some big resort hotels which should fit the bill. Sharm was much more European, which might be a good or bad thing.

Should be pretty warm and sunny at Easter but you might need a sweater once the sun goes down (which it does pretty early)

vinnyeh

Jolie Ville in Luxor. An alternative to the dive towns.

nealglover
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t like to go anywhere that was actually in Sharm, we got a taxi into town one afternoon/evening and I didn’t like the town at all. Not my kind of place really, although some people love it.
    The place we stayed at was outside Sharm and nice and quiet, mega relaxing and the sea was amazing for snorkelling and diving, both straight off the beach and from the end of the Jetty where the main reef was.

Can’t wait to go back some time !

mendippete
    Free Member

I have been to el gouna kitesurfing, it’s a purposes built resort and its safe,the pace to stay is http://www.moevenpick-hotels.com/en/africa/egypt/hurghada/resort-el-gouna/overview/

Euro
    Free Member

You can’t go to Egypt and not see what’s left of Thebes, so i’d recommend Luxor or Hurghada if you want to do the fishy/sea thing.

Scamper
    Free Member

Depending how much you read into these things you may want to check the advice on FO website regarding which areas are safe to go to.

nealglover
    Free Member

You can’t go to Egypt and not see what’s left of Thebes

You definitely can 🙂

PrinceJohn

Have you considered the Canaries? Warm & you can wander off safely if you want to leave your resort

joeyj
    Free Member

We stayed at the Hilton Sharks Bay which is just outside of sharm and it was one of the best hols we have had. 5 min transfer and there is a bus between the sharks bay and the other Hilton in the town. All inclusive was great and loads to do as there is a dive centre in the hotel

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

It depends what you want to do! if all you want is hot winter sun and an all inclusive hotel with good snokelling that it relatively close you can’t go wrong with Egypt and somewhere like Sharm el Sheikh.

We went in October but we only went for the diving, we did 3 dives a day (even 4 on one day). We stayed cheap and cheerful and we were lucky (well we don’t have high expectations at all and don’t like paying money on good hotels). I would say though you have to pay decent money to get a good all inclusive otherwise the food is shizzle. Sharm is a bit Benidorm, Magalufesque there were a lot of Russian prostitutes and hideously sunburnt over weight chavtastic Brits out there and it’s full of Pizza Hut, TGI Fridays etc. It’s not “cultural”. So all in all it depends what you want!!! We had a great time but all we did was sleep, eat, dive, rest, dive, eat, rest, dive, eat, sleep!!! Perfect.

cakeeater
    Free Member

Have a look at Sensatori in Sharm. Thomson resort, great facilities. Scuba diving on site with Ocean College. Highly recommend. Also been to Taba, similar experience to tonyg23 re Russians etc. Sensatori way better, we’ll be heading back there sooner or later.

Euro
    Free Member

You definitely can

Tut tut 😉

You really should go back and see Egypt. It’s properly awesome. And you’ll still get a tan 😀

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Egypt – Winter sun’ is closed to new replies.