Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Effectiveness of flashing bike lights?
  • scaredypants

More sense being talked on here than many such threads – shining a light on yourself is exactly what I’d do if I was commuting. Ded bright flashing lights is exactly what I would NOT do (addit – except during daylight hours).

Look like a well-lit human standing out in the dark and they’ll probably not kill you 😐

simmy
    Free Member

Think I annoyed a van driver last night. I had my Luminator on flash whilst passing some stationary traffic because I was turning right and he shouted out his window ” turn that ——— thing off ”

Bit too bright I think. I normally use a Cateye on front, with a Vision 1 on flash, rear Cateye on Seatpost on flash, small Cateye on offside pannier on steady.

duirdh
    Free Member

oops. appologies for my well out of date contribution.

seems you MUST have a red rear reflector and pedal reflectors now too. is the reflector meant to replace a constant rear light to drivers?

crazy IMO

2 rear flashing Leds (1x vertical, 1x horizontal & 1 constant rear led
    bar mounted (magicshite xlm for seeing with and a bar mounted flashing led to attract attention, flashing wheel reflectors on each wheel and about 50x 3M spoke reflectors f & r.

I agree, flashers on their own make it harder for drivers to tell where you are, especially if viewed through mirrors. I hate seeing cyclists in busy traffic with just flashing leds.

shifter, ambulances have headlights, rear lights and huge sections of reflective print!

flap_jack
    Free Member

What about the idiots with flashing lights at blinding intensity on cycle paths ? Grrrr

garage-dweller

Duirdh – i thought the rear reflectors and pedal rule had been around longer. My folks always told me I had to have one anyway. Shame no clipless system can mount reflectors!

Personally i doubt the usefulness of a reflector if lit up by other means except as a light fail backup.

Pedal reflectors move and I get that a bit more. Might get some of those slapwrap things as an alternative.

duirdh
    Free Member

No. reflectors were only a legal obligation at point of sale.
    clipless pedal systems can mount reflectors BTW.
    What’s slipwrap?

steveoath
    Free Member

3 front lights – one flashing and one “always on” on bars and an “always on” on my head.

4 rear lights – always on under the saddle. Flashing on back of helmet. cheapo reflector/flashers on the corners of my courier bag.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

snapwrap are those bangle things popular with teenage girls in the 90’s, but now re-invented with reflective material for cyclists/joggers.

duirdh
    Free Member

Ah.. cheers

Sum
    Free Member

seems you MUST have a red rear reflector and pedal reflectors now too. is the reflector meant to replace a constant rear light to drivers?

Rear reflectors and pedal reflectors have been a requirement since the 1989 RVLR (Table III). Pre-October 1985 cycles don’t need pedal reflectors.

garage-dweller

Ah I stand corrected and was clearly fibbed to by well meaning parents!

antigee

hjghg5

I’m also often surprised at how dim some lights are – I’m often muttering away to myself about bikes without lights just as I realise that they do have lights, just not particularly visible ones…

when driving i’ve been (nearly) caught out by this – a couple of bikes with many many lumens flashing and then a bike with something that is legally sold as a bike light but is way way down the scale is easily missed ….. all made much worse by cars with lights that are designed for use on open roads at speed – in street lit areas i’d argue for cars to run with side lights only to make it easier to see peds and cyclists and if the default speed limit was 20mph than no real problem spotting moving vehicles

alpin
    Free Member

– in street lit areas i’d argue for cars to run with side lights only to make it easier to see peds and cyclists

+1

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Effectiveness of flashing bike lights?’ is closed to new replies.