Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Eeek – Home bike shed broken into… advice needed on next course of action :s
  • texas
    Free Member

Hello!
    Just came home from dinner around a friends and came to find our front garden’s bike shed door ajar, with with bins hiding it pulled onto the pavement.. Thankfully nothing taken other then the padlock (as everything is locked to brick walls)

Just a bit spooked, and worried that the thieves have sized up the fleet of bikes we have and how they are locked, and will be back…

I have reported this to the police.

Not sure what I can do? – Install cctv is my first thought… Does anyone have any suggestions?

meehaja
    Free Member

bikes in the house, big dog in the shed?

texas
    Free Member

thanks for that Kevevs…

texas
    Free Member

Bikes are now in house… although we now have no lounge…

Dog needs to be procured

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Same thing happened to me just before the Welsh ride thing – completely cocked up my weekend, spent it fitting bigger locks and alarms instead of riding.

Made me feel rubbish even though they didnt get anything, dont usually feel vulnerable andnit really isn’t nice

sbob
    Free Member

Kevevs – Member

get a life.

Have you posted in the wrong thread or are you a monumental cock?
    Seriously, what ahave I missed? 😕

texas
    Free Member

I already have one motocycle lock round half the bikes… does anyone recommend any heavy duty locks?

shindiggy
    Free Member

Sleep in the Shed, wait for them, own them with Bombers

dandax1990
    Free Member

Not been funny but… A bike shed… In the front garden?

Why not just put a big sign on your lawn telling people?

Out of sight, more chance of them being out of mind.

texas
    Free Member

Dandax…. Yeah, its hidden behind the front wall with a grass roof, and doors are hidden by bins. We live on a busy, well lit road. Its not been touched for 2 years. Just a bit spooked

Swelper
    Free Member

Where’s the all seeing eye Kev

joemarshall
    Free Member

I have one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIGITECK-NEW-WIRELESS-DRIVEWAY-PATROL-GARAGE-SHED-DOOR-SHOP-BURGLAR-ALARM-ALERT-/161081730385?pt=UK_Burglar_Alarms&hash=item2581382551

which means when I’m in, if someone goes into the shed, all hell breaks out in our house, so at least no one is going to nick my bikes while I’m in the house asleep.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Get a very loud alarm installed, warn neighbours so they know to be aware of anyone fishy, get a wireless webcam that stats recording when it detects movement.

Are your bikes insured??

theotherjonv

If on a busy, well lit road…..

I have a small but noisy standalone shed alarm on my bike store; picked up from a locksmith for not a lot. It’s a magnet proximity sensor, so when the door is cracked it goes off. It’s bloomin’ loud, given its size and while it wouldn’t deter a hardened thief who could probably disable somehow, would maybe attract enough attention to allow you to get out there with bombers and hand out some justice.

tmb467
    Free Member

Alarm, camera and big locks all do their bit to keep people away. Not much else you can do, other than check your insurance

Likelihood is that it was an opportunistic thief – saw you were padlocked up and left cos they couldn’t get owt. A loud alarm would help scare off somebody next time but if you were gonna be targeted they’d have left it so you weren’t made aware (in case you beefed up the security – which you’re doing now)

Kryton57

Joemarshall – does that have any kind of delay that would prevent it going off every time I went into the shed / allow me time to turn it off?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

When my shed was broken in to last year the cops said just make it as inconvenient as you can for them ie noise and bright lights (but more a strobe type thing)

I’m not convinced by better locks on bikes, try and stop them getting near them first.

When my bike went first they cracked the lock on the door. Second time they came back I put a slightly better lock on the door,and they just took the shed door hinges off. However the new shed alarm then scared them off!

This is the alarm Ive got. Shed alarms have delays that allow you time to switch it off, which also gives the thief time to find it and smash it up. With this one as soon as they do that, or cut the wire, the other remote alarm will go off! 🙂

http://personalalarms.com/acatalog/Multi_Buy_MA30_Mini_PIR_Alarm_and_External_Siren.html

Mines been in about a year now and still on the batteries sent with it.

Personally too I’m not for making the outside of the shed looking too over protected as I think that draws attention. Ive just got a decent hasp lock, all screws are rounded off, and the roof is bolted to the sides.

theotherjonv

http://www.ultrasecuredirect.com/acatalog/Wireless_Alarm_Battery_Magnetic_Door_Alarm_Wireless_Siren_007-0330.html

not the same but similar to what I have – has a delay for setting (and another when going off, so the thief doesn’t know you have an alarm until he’s well in)

plus-one

Yes it makes you feel like shit 🙁

Mine was attempted few weeks back thankfully I scared em off before they got in.. I know big locks etc draws attention.. I don’t care I’m hoping when any thieves see it it puts them off.. All bikes are insured have shed alarm fitted too and ground anchor sunk a foot into concrete ..

This chain round bikes too

http://securityforbikes.com/proddetail.php?prod=P13-x.x

The 13mm is very chunky and looks the biz 🙂

If you have power get a pair of baby monitors.. Easy to hear what’s going on if they start tampering with shed..

neiloxford
    Free Member
    FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Neil you need a SIM card for that !

Del

😯
    you don’t need that.
    couple of these would be my choice

having said that, i reckon your bikes easy to spot about town…

dazzlingboy

Alarm Mines! Wow. Very tempting but I’m amazed that such a thing is legal! I have no sympathy for thieving scrotes but wouldn’t want to end up in court cos I’ve blinded someone with a blank cartridge. Mind you, the boys in blue would probably be round in a trice if one or two of those things went off!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Busy well lit roads are fine when they’re busy, but 3am is likely still quiet and the busy road means a far greater chance someone’s seen you loading and unloading the bike.

I’m on a busy road, and backing onto a council estate with a regular patrol of police cars and helicopter, and only option is in the house (I do have a shed, it’s been broken into before but only back in the days when I had a very crap bike in there and they didn’t touch it 😀 ).

Though if they’ve not had a go at the bike stuff, could be an opportunist that didn’t think there may be bike stuff there. Often they’re looking for anything for quick money to pay for drugs etc or for suitable tools they can use to break into a house.

project
    Free Member

Shed alarm, baby monitor if there is power so you can hear whats going on there, builders band and big screws down inside of frame and inside of rood, secure to joists, decent bolts through lock into frame, big washers or thick plywood behind.

2 mortice locks on door and hinge bolts.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

This one looks perfect as mentioned above, and i’m quite tempted, putting the second alarm in the house

http://www.ultrasecuredirect.com/acatalog/Wireless_Alarm_Battery_Magnetic_Door_Alarm_Wireless_Siren_007-0330.html

maxtorque

Under no circumstances should you get an old car airbag, and wire it with a microswitch to the door…………

TuckerUK
    Free Member

…nor illegally obtain an illegal sawn off shotgun and sit waiting for them to return.

hot_fiat

Almax security chain, whatever lock they currently recommend and concreted-in ground anchor. You could also consider some really badly wired-in shed lighting, you know the kind: where the bikes make up part of the feed and the door’s wired to the neutral.

nikk
    Free Member

I’d get them straight out the shed right away…

IMHO sheds are double useless for bike security. First, they are easy to break into, and second, they then conceal the thieves and they can take their time cutting through locks etc.

You need a solid brick / concrete shed, like an extension to the house, or just keen the bikes in your house.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sorry I know people who have had bikes knicked from bricks and mortar just as easily/more easily than a shed.

hora
    Free Member

IF you value your bikes dont keep them in a shed.

Unless you work from home/never leave the house an alarm is scant comfort.

I have a brickbuilt outhouse and a large wooden shed. No chance.

The argument of thats what insurance is for? Thieves profit.

Its sad and shouldnt be but its life 🙁

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Some people have little or no other option, I will do enough not to be stupid and keep the insurance happy. If a determined thief is after my bikes then they can take them, rather them outside than in the house. I value my bikes but in the end of the day they have no sentimental value and can be replaced.

Yes people profit from bike theft, that is the end to look at, stopping the sell on would help to stop the theft. A register of stolen bike serial numbers and e-bay/gum tree insisting on them being listed – check on purchase if it matches.

neiloxford
    Free Member

Well the alarm arrived and I am very happy ! ! !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Wireless-PIR-GSM-Home-Security-Burglar-Alarm-System-Auto-Dialer-Call-SMS-/330828659600?pt=US_Surveillance_Security_Systems&hash=item4d06ecbb90

The seller does not sell to the UK anymore though, although there are lots of other sellers. Well worth £22 odd.

Got the alarm unit itself in the kitchen with the remote on the garage key. Only slightly annoying thing is when you turn the alarm on and off it sets the siren off for about 0.1 seconds, long enough for you to know how damn loud it is !

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Eeek – Home bike shed broken into… advice needed on next course of action :s’ is closed to new replies.