Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • Eeeeeeeee-bike thread… incoming…. I know i know… ;)
  • Poopscoop

Great that Mrs weeksy is loving it mate. Going to try and get my partner on the trails this Summer. Nothing extreme though, she’s not ridden since being a kid and if she breaks an arm or such it could mean the end of her job. Don’t want that on my conscience!

kayak23

Yeah agree on fod. Ideal to smash loads of laps out on an Eeb.

weeksy

She did baulk at an entry to the Dual Slalom line today, which i thought was 100% fair of her.

This was here doing the little drops… Which considering she’s only ridden on the canal in the last few years, i was impressed with 🙂

singlespeedstu

We had this out in anger today, for the life of me I don’t know what you ebike riders see in them.

No offence but you mince around a trail center in the south and think that wobbling down a red trail at a bikepark in south Wales is he height of gnar…
    Ebikes are brilliant for riding multiple laps of local tech trails.
    Fine if you don’t do that but open your eyes a bit more to what other people do.
    You never know you might even like it once you get you’re head round the fact that mountainbikes aren’t all about how fast you can ride while connected to a PC…

weeksy

No offence but you mince around a trail center in the south and think that wobbling down a red trail at a bikepark in south Wales is he height of gnar…
    Ebikes are brilliant for riding multiple laps of local tech trails.
    Fine if you don’t do that but open your eyes a bit more to what other people do.
    You never know you might even like it once you get you’re head round the fact that mountainbikes aren’t all about how fast you can ride while connected to a PC

What riding should it be used for that I’m not doing then?

I mince round Morzine too, I mince the SDW in a day, I mince the Ridgeway regularly and I’ve been known to mince XC races too and even had my arse kicked in a road bike race at Thruxton.

As for the rest, that’s just quite amusing.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What riding should it be used for that I’m not doing then?

Best use I’ve had was a day at the Golfie. Scooting up mind numbing grotty fire roads to get multiple descents is amazing.

I’d imagine the likes of GT and whinlatter would be ace too.

weeksy

Best use I’ve had was a day at the Golfie. Scooting up mind numbing grotty fire roads to get multiple descents is amazing.

Granted, I understand that. Still a long way from being convinced I’d want to ride one down again. Admittedly I have a consensus of 1 bike, but as this thread is about that bike I thought it valid.

I generally don’t mind the fire roads as long as the reward is there too.

singlespeedstu

As for the rest, that’s just quite amusing.

Like your pic of a tiny jump that YOU couldn’t ride a cross bike off…
    Like I said.
    There’s a whole world of stuff out there that’s not sitting down connected to a PC.
    Go in search of your local hand built trails. I’m sure there’s plenty of them even near Swinley.

I mince round Morzine too

Yep there’s loads of people that do that. 😂
    You might want to try not mincing if you’ve traveled all that way.

weeksy

Lol get the claws out

singlespeedstu

Just saying open your eyes a bit…

weeksy

To what exactly? I’m more than happy to be educated in this world? I’m a bit unsure as to why I’m apparently wrong for not liking the bike

But tbh I’m done caring about your responses, I’ve played nicely and not risen to the digs, but there’s only so much tolerance in my world.

singlespeedstu

To what exactly?

The whole world of riding out there. 😱

You’re not wrong for not liking a shit Eeb around a shit trail center in the south.
    But don’t try to write every ebike off because of your very limited and narrow minded experiences.
    Being able to do multiple laps of all the local Dh and enduro trails has been a real head turner to me.
    I’ve hardly done any uplift days since I’ve had an eeb in the garage.
    Pedal bikes for group rides and general XC stuff are fine but for any multi lap tech you really cant beat one.

jim25

It may not be a great bike, so not fair to judge all ebikes on the one that you’ve riden.
    I mean let’s say you’ve just riden a crao handling big standard full susser that’s 15kg + you can’t just say all full suss bikes are crap and I’m never riding another one again.

weeksy

It does well in review

https://off.road.cc/content/news/first-ride-review-liv-cycling-embolden-e1-women-specific-120mm-trail-and-touring-e-bike-2696

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/climb-high-ride-hard-with-livs-new-full-suss-e-mtbs/

However, that doesn’t change my thoughts, I’m trying a Specialized Levo thing at BPW in a few weeks. Time will tell

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’ve been riding an e-enduro bike after coming from a trail hardtail 29er

I think it’s amazing on the descents but definitely takes some muscling around – I’ve been doing 4 heavy free weights sessions a week for the last year, with the express purpose of increasing strength and endurance for downhill riding, so I think I’ve come into riding the heavy eBike at the right time.

Mine also flies off jumps and drops. Maybe just a different bike. Mine is a Saracen Ariel-E

singlespeedstu

However, that doesn’t change my thoughts, I’m trying a Specialized Levo thing at BPW in a few weeks

Make your mind up will you.
    You’re either for or against. 😜

Poopscoop

How did this go from a bike thread to a critique of weeksy’s riding??

Anyway…

weeksy

I mince the SDW in a day..

Don’t rub it in, I’m still a 3 dayer!😅

This year though…. 2 days? Lol

weeksy

It’s a mates and he wants to try my G160 so he can mince a blue like me. So I get to try his new 2020 Levo

airvent
    Free Member

Handbags away ladies…

Personally dont get the appeal of them either as the reward of a descent feels more earned under your own power, but I have no issue with others choosing to use them. I think it’s great that motorbikes are legal on trails.

singlespeedstu

1 out of 10 there
    Must try harder on the EEB troll.

roverpig

Love the idea that if someone doesn’t enjoy Ebikes it must be because they are a crap rider and that Ebikes are only for super rad riding. That should save me a few quid 🙂

weeksy

Funny thing is, I have nothing at all against them. I actually paid 50% of the purchase price so I can get my wife out riding with me a d the boy.
    This wasn’t even remotely a dug against ebikes, just I rode this today and disliked it and why.

I then brought it home, cleaned it, lubed it, gave it tlc, it’s not like I set it on fire because it upset me, I don’t give a monkeys, it’s not mine and I won’t be riding it again. The only reason I rode it today was because my lad had stolen my G160 to go to the car for the GoPro.

singlespeedstu

Sik edit? 😜

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Saw this. Made me think, heavy, slow & cumbersome. Clearly a breeze block to jump.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7y6aQ5D6Xd/?igshid=1upim3abofto6

weeksy

Because Kerr is like most other ebike riders and indeed MTB riders?

That’s like putting Froome on a Carrera special and being shocked he’s still quick.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

That was kinda my point. I’m not sure the bike was the issue…

weeksy

No, sure. All my fault.

Ridiculous place this at times. Bloke finds a 25kg bike heavy and dull, but STW tells him he’s wrong and completely rubbish at riding.

richardthird

Borrowed one down here on the south downs, thought the same. Then I hired one in the Alps. A Riot! Riding up tarmac road climbs has never been more fun!

tjagain

I think YGH point is that at places like the golfie a mere mortal can get more descents in in a day as they can get up the boring painful climbs more quickly with less fatigue if they have an ebike. Its not for me but if you are a “winch and plummet” type rider I see the utility.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

I only opened this thread for the butthurt e-bikers – it has not disappointed 😂

weeksy

I think YGH point is that at places like the golfie a mere mortal can get more descents in in a day as they can get up the boring painful climbs more quickly with less fatigue if they have an ebike. Its not for me but if you are a “winch and plummet” type rider I see the utility.

BEfore riding it i’d have agreed 100%. But as i say, having ridden it, i’m a long long way from being convinced.

It’s going to be interesting in a few weeks with my e-bike mate. He’s not really done the manual bike much, so him jumping off his Scott Egenius/Spec Levo and jumping onto my G160 will be very interesting as i’d like to see if he’ll find the reverse of what i’ve found and love the manual bike because of the light/nimble handling.
    I don’t think he’ll be a convert yet due to percieved fitness, but even on that, he may surprise himself

swavis

Yep also finding slightly amusing that anyone that doesn’t like an ebike must be crap and that they’re the best thing since sliced bread, and that they must have their opinion changed.
    Some people actually like the challenge of a big day out, doing it all by themselves without any motorized assistance.
    Multiple laps of somewhere like Golfie sounds perfect for an ebike, don’t think I’d like one on a multiple day Torridon trip though as I find the climbing as rewarding as the descents.
    Hey ho, each to their own. 😎

peaslaker
    Free Member

It does well in review
    https://www.bikeradar.com/news/climb-high-ride-hard-with-livs-new-full-suss-e-mtbs/

“If exploring forest roads, gravel tracks and simple singletrack is your goal, the Embolden E+ is a bike that will carry you and your luggage quickly”

“…slightly more technical terrain, the main factor holding it back here is the RockShox Recon RL fork, which felt far too flexible when riding and had a tendency to dive through its travel,”

“Liv does say the bike isn’t designed for rock gardens, drops and the like,”

This comment also in the review about the Intrigue E+:

“Both forks and shock have a specific light tune to suit the lighter-on-average weight of female riders, plus adapted to suit e-bikes.”

Weeksy reports: “Entry-level ebikes with shyte forks are shyte. All ebikes are shyte”?

tjagain

My main issue with ebikes is range. Its just not enough for the sortof riding I do unless the power is turned down to the point it is pointless. Multiday wandering around the scenery without going back to civilisation. they cannot be charged from solar panels!. 3 days in the wilds with 100+ miles and many thousands of foot of climbing is not unusual for us. Even one day rides would often be enough to cause range anxiety.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

^ True, TJ

That’s why I’ve got a nice Titanium 29er hardtail too

SirHC

My main issue with ebikes is range. Its just not enough for the sortof riding I do unless the power is turned down to the point it is pointless. Multiday wandering around the scenery without going back to civilisation. they cannot be charged from solar panels!. 3 days in the wilds with 100+ miles and many thousands of foot of climbing is not unusual for us. Even one day rides would often be enough to cause range anxiety.

With forward planning it could work well, imagine if the bike batteries were all standard…

chiefgrooveguru

“My main issue with ebikes is range. Its just not enough for the sortof riding I do unless the power is turned down to the point it is pointless. Multiday wandering around the scenery without going back to civilisation. they cannot be charged from solar panels!. 3 days in the wilds with 100+ miles and many thousands of foot of climbing is not unusual for us. Even one day rides would often be enough to cause range anxiety.”

I totally agree with that! I love commuting on my ebike, love normal length (half day) MTB rides of all sorts, haven’t done an uplift day on it yet but intend to as it’s my only full-sus now, but if I were going bikepacking I’d rather have a nice simple bike with no electronics!

I prefer the handling to a normal bike because of the stability. I’m far from great at jumping but it’s the first bike I’ve had that gives me confidence on doubles (I have such a mental block on them compared to far bigger tabletops). I know it’s way heavier than a normal bike but me and it together, vehicle and pilot as it were, are only about 10% heavier and the suspension works so well, better than any normal bike I’ve ridden and it seems to love getting airborne.

It does feel like a lot of the negative comments about the handling are like those we used to hear about bigger slacker bikes or bikes with bigger wheels, “cumbersome, unwieldy, dull, heavy” but so many of us prefer riding bikes like that now and find old small steep small-wheeled bikes nervous.

Paceman
    Free Member

My main issue with ebikes is range. Its just not enough for the sortof riding I do unless the power is turned down to the point it is pointless. Multiday wandering around the scenery without going back to civilisation.

Unless you like to use one bike for everything, most riders I know have a N+1 for bikepacking / long XC type duties.

kayak23

imagine if the bike batteries were all standard…

😂 yeah, and pigs started racking up air miles 😉

stevextc
    Free Member

lets see what ? I’ve posted the pic of my lad above…. You’re telling me you’re landing that on a CX bike ? Honestly….

Don’t really see why not apart from the wear and tear on the bike. Plenty of people (everyday folk not pro’s) would ride that on a BMX without thinking twice as opposed to something the same size but with gnarly landings and run ups.

That’s not really the point though… it’s not really a DJ/skills area bike

Think about this another way… say end of a big day at Afan or Cwmcarn when you’re knackered.
    I reckon a steamroller combined with being less knackered would be great. Do a quick 1/2 lap of Twrch after a long day then ride the downhill back… and sure it’s a steamroller but you’d not be riding it normally or if you did you’d be too knackered to worry about popping off everything.

It’s probably fantastic for the wife at the moment for Swinners…. but for you to appreciate it you’d need to take it somewhere else. I can’t help thinking all you are getting are the disadvantages but non of the advantages???

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Eeeeeeeee-bike thread… incoming…. I know i know… ;)’ is closed to new replies.