Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • EE/4G Networks
  • JoeBones
    Free Member

Anyone any experience of these? Do we need to pay anymore or will 3G still do the trick for time to come? Opinions please!

I’d be impressed if Vodafone even gave me a half decent 3G signal most of the time

z1ppy

4G sounds great (proper broadband speeds) but as far as I know even HSPA+ (3G+) is only available in the larger cities (and is very very good IMHO), again I struggle to get 3G where I live, let alone HSPA+.
    My next phone will not be 4G compatible and I’m not going to worry that it isn’t..

molgrips
    Free Member

Can’t see the need really, unless you are a heavy laptop user. Pointless for phones, which is what they are advertising it for it seems.

andywoods
    Free Member

4g will be good when its eventually available in the uk but as of yet most i think only a handful of cities in the uk are capable of 4g, so you need to check your area/coverage and the planned area/coverage for 4g

z1ppy

Not exactly pointless, as tethering means you can supply your computer with the interweb where-ever you are (yeah right), without the need for a seperate data-sim & modem for the computer.
    No, its not exactly ‘essential’ either, but still useful when travelling

forge197
    Free Member

Should get sim on Friday to use, I don’t need the 4g but its only a few quid more than my previous 3G so worth a try first month is free and it’s a rolling 30day contract at least on data if its not for me thence cancel and go with another provider

trail_rat
    Free Member

What do you want to do though ?

I can zoom through the desert in the middle of turkmenistan in the back of a people carrier while using a 3g dongle to surf the net and send emails even warch youtube vids just as if i were sat connected to the wifi in my home office.

4g just seems like advance for advances sake. Bit like 3 litre engine in a household car ….. We all got over that quick.

giant_scum
    Free Member

As an EE engineer said to me on Friday, ‘until the backhaul is all updated to fibre it won’t be any faster than 3g!’

thorpie
    Free Member

Got it last week, work in Sheffield, one of the cities that has coverage. It works fine, ranges from 10-15mbps up to 30mbps, that’s plenty fast enough and probably faster than a lot of home setups (certainly mine until I got Virgin Fibre). Didn’t cost to switch from Orange either although my monthly data allowance went down. Normal coverage when not in a 4G area so a no brainer really!

Trevor.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It works fine, ranges from 10-15mbps up to 30mbps.

I regularly get over 7mbps on 3G (three network) and I’ve got unlimited data. I know which I prefer. 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

I would urge everyone to avoid EE simply on the basis of their **** annoying Kevin Bacon advertisements.

thorpie
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    It works fine, ranges from 10-15mbps up to 30mbps.
    I regularly get over 7mbps on 3G (three network) and I’ve got unlimited data. I know which I prefer.
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

I have a 4G phone, it didn’t cost me anything and it is a lot faster than 3G. I know which I prefer!

stu_d
    Free Member

Got a 4g sub and it is miles quicker than 3G .. Not just the connection speed , but you don’t get the latency that you get with 3G every time you request a web page

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I have a 4G phone, it didn’t cost me anything and it is a lot faster than 3G. I know which I prefer!

But if you WERE paying £35+ a month for a 2meg download limit, (or whatever limit it is, it’s not much) and you could get 7mbps for £12 a month with no limit, would YOU pay the extra £20-odd? Or would you just wait a couple of seconds now and again?

🙂

geordiemick00
    Free Member

o2 and vodaphone are currently ‘partnering’ to make all of their sites 4G compatible, this means that in mid 2013 MOST of the country will have far better signal quality as well as 4G. The reason EE managed to get ahead was they had spare capacity on their spectrum and it’s only available in 16 cities and will be for some time.

When voda/O2 come online they will blow them out of the water big time. Sit tight for six months is what i’d say. I’ve got generic 5th version of apple smartphone on O2 and I’ve been told it will be a good phone in six months time 😆

Drac

Interesting about Vodafone, been with them years as their coverage is good. Their data coverage is piss poor though so I’ve been thinking about dropping them when my contract ends.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve just worked it out. 4g on EE would cost me £481.60 more over 2 years, with only 3gb data a month. I’ve been using 3-5gb/month recently.
    For me it’s just not any use.
    But, I imagine it’ll improve and get cheaper in a couple of years time. 🙂

bruneep

Interesting about Vodafone, been with them years as their coverage is good. Their data coverage is piss poor though so I’ve been thinking about dropping them when my contract ends.

Told the retentions chap this ( but data is not that bad really ) he convinced me to stay when he dropped my tariff from £30 a month to £10.50 with an extra gb of data x3 contracts mine, wife and sons each on a yrs contract. Went from over £90 month to under £32.

camster
    Free Member

O2 & Voda will be bidding for extra 4g spectrum as will EE so it’s likely coverage will be good for all although EE should be ahead of the game

Drac

Vodafone data in rural areas is terrible, my wife has Orange. Whilst I get more coverage for normal network she gets for more 3G coverage. Even when I get GRS it can be terribly slow.

bikebouy
    Free Member

If you really want to know how quick 4G is, take a walk around London.. The Capital.. where even 3G isn’t available in some areas..

Waste of Money

Rubber_Buccaneer

Looks like I’m not alone in being more interested in coverage than speed. For me 3G is fast enough at the mo but vodafone’s coverage could be much better.

forge197
    Free Member

Just got my first taste of 4G around Nuneaton and also the EE network on the move, so far better coverage on the train from Crewe to London this morning than o2 and Vodafone. It’s early days for me as an EE customer we will see how it goes over the coming weeks and months.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I can zoom through the desert in the middle of turkmenistan in the back of a people carrier while using a 3g dongle to surf the net and send emails even warch youtube vids just as if i were sat connected to the wifi in my home office.

I cant even get coverage that good in Birmingham. Maybe they have a better network than we do?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘EE/4G Networks’ is closed to new replies.