• This topic has 30 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by lunge.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Edwin jeans – thoughts
  • lunge

STW fashionista assemble.

Debating a pair of expensive (for me) jeans, Edwin ED-66’s to be exact.
    Wondered if anyone had a pair and how they age?

BoardinBob

Currently sitting in a pair of 4 year old Edwins. Best jeans I’ve ever owned. Aged nicely and super comfy. Really good quality. Highly recommended.

PMK2060

I have always found the quality to be good.

ED-55 is what i usually go for.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Crotch blown out on 2 pairs within a year. Don’t fade particularly well in comparison to other Japanese brands.

Good if buying in the sale and they fit.

LeeW

They’re ok, but they don’t fit me as well as other brands at the same price point. have a look on Brown Bag clothing. They have lots of styles for around half price on there.

minichops
    Free Member

Wearing some now, they must be 10 years old. Great jeans, worn in/faded really well.
    Go for the dry denim selvedge. Wear em and don’t be tempted to wash them!
    I think they do some cheaper ones. OK but you can tell the difference between these and the proper Japanese ones.

trumpton
    Free Member

I picked up a pair at the charity shop like new. They are nice jeans.

MrSmith
    Free Member

ED-55 for me, got various weights of denim and tend to run 4-5 pairs from super faded to near new and as soon as a pair gets holes and retired to the DIY pile get a new pair. Not in the same league as Black Horse Lane or the Japanese high end but good value and last/fade well.

CountZero

Crotch blown out on 2 pairs within a year.

How does that even happen? I’ve seen other posters complain about this happening with denims, and I really can’t understand what people are doing for that to happen.
    I’ve been wearing jeans for around fifty years, I’ve got two pairs of 501’s that are nearly forty years old, and on a really good day I can still get into them. I can’t do very much while wearing them, but that’s a whole other thing; thing is, I’ve eventually worn through on the bum, on the thighs, around the pockets, but I’ve never had the crotch go on any jeans I’ve ever owned.
    The Edwins look good, but I’m more interested in the Unbranded 21oz selvedge, like Uniqlo they have no identifiable labels or stitching, which really appeals to me.
    Not stupidly expensive either.

jamj1974

ED55 have been my go to jeans ever since Levi’s got stupidly expensive for average quality

Theough multiple pairs, these wear well and as said above get some great fades that are just very individual. Not worn out 1 pair in 7 years so I think the quality is there.

junglistjut
    Free Member

I blew the crotch out of some Nudie selvedge jeans years ago. I was riding my bike in them every day. They faded lovely after 9 months of abuse.

Nudie sent me a patch kit

duckman

I have a couple of pairs, however google brave star selvedge; currently using the last of the cone mills selvedge ( proper, original Americana if that’s your bag.) I have also blown the crotch on Edwins before. You get good whispers and fades on the edwins though.

junglistjut
    Free Member

Brave Star Denim ? They’ve got me on the name already.

aP
    Free Member

Just take a trip to Jeans Street, Kojima.

theotherjonv

I rate mine – ED55 and ED47 at various times.

I also rate a pair of Gustin jeans – not really a name, they seek out different rolls of material, and then do a crowdfund on the make, so you can get small run well made jeans out of different denims. You need to subscribe to be able to see what they are currently planning, and time from order to delivery can be quite long depending if you join a funding early or late, but as a result pricing is very keen for high quality well made jeans (and more recently shirts, t-shirts, etc.)

https://www.weargustin.com/story

voodoo_chile

7 pairs here, Ed 55 fit me well not too slim but feel comfortable in…. Red label edwin are nice denim…. Higher the number the slimmer the fit… U will find them big on the waist…. I like them

molgrips
    Free Member

How does that even happen? I’ve seen other posters complain about this happening with denims, and I really can’t understand what people are doing for that to happen.

It depends how chunky your thighs are. Mine are large and rub together at the top. So walking around constantly erodes the fabric. It’s only a matter of time. And it’s even more of a problem with suits as you end up with a load of useless but nice jackets.

theotherjonv

U will find them big on the waist…

I think you’ll find that my 34″ waist are perfectly sized and everyone else undersizes 😉

cheers_drive

All my jeans go at the crotch, even back when I was skinny.
    I really struggle to get a pair that’s not to tight at the thigh but not baggy below the knee. I usually wear Uniqlo selvedge but they can be a tad tight and I don’t like the low rise. Do any of the Edwins fit the bill?

razorrazoo

I’m similar to molgrips on the wear thing, in the days I used to wear suits i’d buy 2 pairs of trousers to get more life out of the suit.

Jeans wise I prefer a slimmer fit and find Nudie have more fit options here.

Got loads of Edwin Ts, sweatshirts and shirts though and find the overall quality good.

Houns

Never heard of them so just looked at their website. Jeez, don’t know if it’s the models they use but they look crap

MrSmith
    Free Member

All the fades/washes ones are for the young or those 40 plus men who still use hair gel and visit tanning salons.

Selvage unwashed are the ones to go for as they use decent denim and no ‘fashion fades or rinses’

DrNickRiviera
    Free Member

Bravestar here too! recommended, very nice jeans and delivered by my brother whenever he visits.

infidel
    Free Member

I’ve had a few pairs of Edwins. Ed47 for me and I like them. They’ve held up rwlly well although I do eventually end up going through at the knee.
    Others I’ve had:
    Nudie – almost always blown the crotch
    Unbranded – nice jeans
    Gustin – not bad but they have terrible sizing issues. I’ve had a pair arrive that were 4 inches too small at the waist!
    Howies – OK but I’m not a fan of their cuts.
    7 for all mankind – OK but thin denim usually, tend to be prewashed which I don’t like. Often not selvedge and overpriced.
    Paper Denim Cloth – used to love these but cannot find them anymore.
    Albam – not bad and subtle branding

Can’t remember any more!

maccruiskeen

All my jeans go at the crotch, even back when I was skinny.

ji
    Free Member

JUst picked up three pairs of 55s from BrownBag as recommended above – look good so will be interested in how they last. Three pairs for under £100 though, I won’t complain if they only last a year or two.

natrix
    Free Member

All my jeans go at the crotch, even back when I was skinny

I’m wise to the rise in your Levis………..

lunge

1 pair purchased and a second on their way. After years of buying cheap jeans these are a revelation, they fit well, look good, just lovely.
    Not cheap but if they last I’ll be very happy.

sobriety
    Free Member

I’ve just picked up a couple of ED-55s one were button fly, one were zip, and the button fly ones are a different cut, despite being nominally the same jeans, both nice though.

footflaps

Never heard of them so just looked at their website. Jeez, don’t know if it’s the models they use but they look crap

+1

Must be an age thing, they all look like Train spotting-esque heroin addicts to me..

lunge

Must be an age thing, they all look like Train spotting-esque heroin addicts to me..

Worryingly, that about sums up my body type…

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Edwin jeans – thoughts’ is closed to new replies.