Educate me about the 2nd World War – recomend a good book.

Home Forum Chat Forum Educate me about the 2nd World War – recomend a good book.

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Educate me about the 2nd World War – recomend a good book.
  • Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

It will also be instructive to look at the Russo–Japanese War 1904-5. Especially how it was funded and promoted by European financiers and businessmen.

It’s not a big stretch to extrapolate from that and see how Hitler may have got the idea that Germany had been undermined or set up in WW1. If he had not been so blinded by racial hatred he might actually have done some good for the world by bringing big business into line.

+1 for Quartered Safe Out Here

For aviation memoirs The Big Show by Clostermann is superb as is the more recent First Light by Geoffrey Wellum – subject of a recent TV programme. From the German perspective I Flew for the Fuhrer by Heinz Knoke is an intriguing read although possibly tricky to get hold of other than secondhand.

Premier Icon beamers
    Subscriber

+1 for Quartered Safe Out Here

For aviation memoirs The Big Show by Clostermann is superb….

Just bought a copy of QSOH and I could not put The Big Show down once I had picked it up. A fantastic account of the war in the air over occupied France up to the end of the War. If you only ready one book out of the list on this thread I would make it that one.

big_n_daft

18 Platoon by Sidney Jary

Defeat into Victory, Slim

technically first world war
    Infantry Attacks, Rommel

I’m a bit bored with all the top down histories. There are lots of really interesting accounts from soldiers and ordinary non combatants out there. The aforementioned ‘The Forgotten Soldier’ is an excellent one. The account of the Battle of Belgorod is truly terrifying.

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Educate me about the 2nd World War – recomend a good book.’ is closed to new replies.