Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Edmonton, Canada
  • tripsterpete
    Free Member

Anybody on the forum lived in, worked or travelled through Edmonton, Canada?

I have a chance to work there for a year and interested to hear what people think of the place.

nicko74

I’ve gone through it and it’s definitely one of the less attractive cities out west… But it’s right by the Rockies, with Jasper and Banff a short(ish) drive away, and heaps of skiing, biking and hiking pretty much on your doorstep. Winter will be tough compared to the UK – cold, really dry, and lots of snow – so you’d better love your winter sports! People are friendly enough (especially if you have an accent); food’s solid if unexceptional, and it’ll be an experience you won’t forget.

I’d do it in a heartbeat (as long as it’s paying enough to survive). Buy a used car and spend your weekends exploring Alberta and BC!

bonni

I lived and worked in Vancouver for a few years and had work reasons to travel to Edmonton on a fairly regular basis. It’s OK but pretty unremarkable (compared to Vancouver, say). As far as I remember it was fairly flat and everyone drove a pick-up! It does have things going on though; I have a friend working at the Uni of Alberta and she loves it.

The weather is typically continental: dry warm summers, bloody cold winters. I would say that it isn’t that close to the Rockies, but if you are prepared to drive 4-5 hours for a weekend away, it could be a good location. No idea what the cycling is like locally.

After having lived/worked in Canada, I would say go for it. It’s a great place to be for a while.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Edmonton, Canada’ is closed to new replies.