• This topic has 22 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Editing photos on my iPhone – app suggestions
  • stevious

I’m just about to get a new iPhone with a better camera and I’d like to play around a bit more with photos. I’m not going to be doing anything serious – really just mucking about to see what looks nice. I’ve been using instagram for a while – I like how quick an easy it can be to make a photo look a bit nicer. I guess I’m after something one step on from instagram without getting too involved.

Any ideas worth checking out?

Thanks in advance.

Drac

Snapseed use to be very good not sure if it still is.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Snapseed

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jam-bo

the built in photo-editor is pretty good. try that first.

GrahamS

Snapseed thirded. Still very good.

(Owned by Google these days if that matters to you)

xora

Photoshop

rossburton
    Free Member

Adobe Lightroom without a doubt. Actually takes photos in DNG (digital negative, raw sensor data) not JPEG and does non-destructive edits, so you don’t lose quality with repeated alterations.

DrJ

Smapseed, Darkroom, Halide, RAW Power …

dannybgoode

The inbuilt app has been massively upgraded and is as good as anything now for mobile editing.

PS mobile if you still want even more.

Cougar

Do it on your PC once you’ve backed them up off your phone. Because you’re not walking around with all your photos on one device with no backups, are you? That would be a silly thing to do.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Another vote for Snapseed for the phone.

Darkroom also very good especially if you are shooting Raw. Easier to use on iPad imo though.

stevious

Thanks gang. Snapseed seems like just the thing. I’ll save all the other suggestions as well in case I start to take thing a bit more seriously.

zilog6128

Do it on your PC once you’ve backed them up off your phone. Because you’re not walking around with all your photos on one device with no backups, are you?

is it 2010 again? 😂 iPhones sync all photos to the cloud right away.

GrahamS

Yours might. My tiny 5GB iCloud storage is no match for the several devices using the account with 20GB+ of photos and video each.

Cougar

… which you can then get to from your PC rather than trying to edit photos on a 5″ screen.

zilog6128

Yours might. My tiny 5GB iCloud storage is no match for the several devices using the account with 20GB+ of photos and video each.

you realise it’s something like 80p/month for about 50Gb 😂 not a lot of money, considering how much the phones cost, to make it hugely more functional.

Let me guess, you refuse to download any app that isn’t free as well 😂😂

rossburton
    Free Member

you realise it’s something like 80p/month for about 50Gb

I’m no pro photographer but my photo archive is ~200GB. Uploading that lot to S3 for off-site backup took about a month on ADSL.

As much as I love cloudy stuff, it’s not the only answer.

Drac

£2.49 for 200GB with Apple covering several devices across the family. As I’ve used the iCloud since it launched it has uploaded as I’ve gone, rather than me try to do it one sitting.

CountZero

Halide is the app that gets mentioned a lot these days, certainly worth a look.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Halide is the app that gets mentioned a lot these days, certainly worth a look.

Halide is a camera app, and a decent one at that. For editing though it directs you towards Darkroom.

As an extra to my previous recommendation of Darkroom, today’s update has made that one more difficult. They are shifting to a subscription model of £20 a year unless you’ve already bought the full app. Whether those of us who have will continue to get all the ‘cool stuff’ they have coming or not we will have to wait and see.
    ProCamera have recently done the same but have locked the new stuff into the subscription with no option to buy the addons you want.

dannybgoode

As an aside – back up to the cloud is better than no back up at all but if you have photos that are important to you up really should back them up in physical media too.

There’s no guarantee the cloud storage you’re using will always be there, won’t get hacke me or outside meets an untimely end.

zilog6128

@dannybgoode you could equally say a physical backup is better than nothing but if you have photos that are important to you up really should back them up to the cloud too.

I think the chance of your house burning down or you losing/having your backup stolen is massively greater than Apple suddenly going offline forever or having all their data centres destroyed.

With regards to online security, the most important thing IMO is 2FA & a unique password. With these in place a hack should be extremely unlikely, given that most “hacks” are just crappy or duplicate passwords. If anyone doesn’t already do both of these things that is the #1 priority as far as I’m concerned.

Obviously 2 different backups is the best solution. Even just one will be fine 99% of the time, and I suspect the majority of people probably don’t have anything in place at all! I feel this has moved away from the OP’s question somewhat though 😂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Lightroom.
    I do have the full version on my desktop so it has features the free app doesnt. It’s so good I often do quick edits of DSLR images on an iPad Mini to check it is what I was trying to achieve, and often there is no need to re edit the original back home.
    It does struggle with 100MB files at times though…

Cougar

I think the chance of your house burning down or you losing/having your backup stolen is massively greater than Apple suddenly going offline forever or having all their data centres destroyed.

Speaking generally – less of an issue on an iPhone – the big threat here is malware. Modern ransomware is targeting online (as in, live, visible) backups before attacking the host. So by the time you know you’ve lost all your data, your precious backups are also long-since corrupted / encrypted.

With regards to online security, the most important thing IMO is 2FA & a unique password.

This is really good advice. I perhaps wouldn’t be so bold as to say “extremely unlikely” but yes, this will mitigate a great proportion of the risk.

DrJ

Speaking generally – less of an issue on an iPhone – the big threat here is malware. Modern ransomware is targeting online (as in, live, visible) backups before attacking the host. So by the time you know you’ve lost all your data, your precious backups are also long-since corrupted / encrypted.

So backing up to e.g. two disks and alternating between them seems a good idea, so you always have an “older” backup. and/or archiving precious files, like photos, at key intervals.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Editing photos on my iPhone – app suggestions’ is closed to new replies.