Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • "Edit" – fashion – WTF?
  • Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

The fashionable word in every shop and every email seems to be “Edit”…

This years Edit, the accessory Edit etc etc…

How long before we get “Our new season fat tyre Edit”?

ENOUGH…. grrrr…

It was bad enough seing AW15 amd SS16 everywhere, but when even decent shirtmakers start using this word as though it meant something other than “guess what, we don’t offer you everything in the world, we have chosen our range”….

slight rant over, off to void some boiling wee… 👿

wwaswas

Makes a change from ‘curated’, I suppose.

Yak

“guess what, we don’t offer you everything in the world, we have chosen our range”

reads to me as “sorry, our previous range of products was shit, so we’ve edited it to make it less shit”

Agree with the OP – it’s a wrong’un.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It is just the latest jargon. Happens in all over the place.

I regularly get invite to ‘workshops’ and turn up to find no tools and it is just another bloody meeting

Junkyard
    Free Member

work|shop.

NOUN

1.a room or building in which goods are manufactured or repaired.

synonyms: factory · works · plant · shop · industrial unit ·
    [More]
    2.a meeting at which a group of people engage in intensive discussion and activity on a particular subject or project

I think you urgently need what word mean workshop 😉

footflaps

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

work|shop.

NOUN

1.a room or building in which goods are manufactured or repaired.

synonyms: factory · works · plant · shop · industrial unit ·
    [More]
    2.a meeting at which a group of people engage in intensive discussion and activity on a particular subject or project

I think you urgently need what word mean workshop

Just because derivative jargon is in a dictionary doesn’t change its original meaning or make the jargon any less derivative.

Check out how many military terms have become business jargon to make fat men in suits sound tough or words are misused to represent something else.

Core Competency

This refers to a firm’s or a person’s fundamental strength even though that’s not what the word “competent” means. Being competent is not the standard we’re seeking. It’s like core mediocrity.

Junkyard
    Free Member

TBH if you turn up at work for a workshop and you expect tools your core competencies are crap 😉

Words change meaning – and workshop will be centuries old and derivative anyway

DezB
    Free Member

But where does this “Edit” thing come from? I’ve not seen it anywhere! I do not go into shops very often.

[edit]<- I don’t think he means that, does he?

poly
    Free Member

DezB – I’ve no idea either, I’m assuming it is something from trendy hipster shops in the big city.

As for WCA – I think you’ve confused the adjective “competent” and the noun “competency” the two whilst sharing some etymology are different. Why do you assume that the “just about OK” meaning of competent is the “right” one? Just as the definition of Workshop you don’t like has been around since before you were born…

gravity-slave
    Free Member

TBH if you turn up at work for a workshop and you expect tools your core competencies are crap

Unless, perhaps, you work with tools?!

I work for the world’s largest tool company, any kind of workshop we have involves tools otherwise it would be crap! It’s great and my ‘core competencies’ are fine thanks 😉

We do publish ‘edits’ though, I’m sure.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I like the amount of retailers which have now become republics.

Cycling Republic has recently opened an outlet near me. They even use a five point star.

In fact they sound so revolutionary that I’m prepared to overlook the reality that they are Halfords.

vickypea
    Free Member

I’ve not heard Edit, but I hate the phrase ‘colour pops’ used in clothes fashion and interior design.

maccruiskeen

I like the amount of retailers which have now become republics.

Theres still a role for monarchy in modern retailing though

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘"Edit" – fashion – WTF?’ is closed to new replies.