Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Edinburghers – your estate agents/ solicitors recommendations please
  • bajsyckel

I know there are a few Edinburgh based folk on here and we’re considering a move in the near future. Does anyone have any recommendations of estate agents/ solicitors to use (or avoid) if the move actually happens? I know from past experience that are also letting agents some years ago there are some I’d definitely avoid, but anyone that has had a positive experience with a particular firm would be good to hear from.

Any advice or tales of woe welcome, thanks!

scotroutes

We sold through MOV8 when we were moving north. Ideal really.

neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

We recently used McEwen Fraser to sell ours. Absolutely rubbish. Had a failed closing date after being reassured at least 2 buyers would bid only to get none!! They had no urgency about them at all, especially when it came to chasing up the buyers solicitors (above) because “they didn’t want to seem keen”. Turned out we were being told lies all along but only found out on the closing date. Mcewan Fraser didn’t give a hoot.
    our house eventually (after a year) sold for 230k and we were stung with 8k of selling fees, made more annoying when our eventual buyers saw us in passing and through no “selling expertise” shown by MF. They claim to sell property quickly but when things slow they just lose interest and give the usual drop the price advice which is hardly grounbreaking ideas.
    They charge 1.75% of the selling price plus the usual extras and claim this is due to them being better and quicker than everyone else, they aren’t, they are as bad as the rest.
    if I was doing it again, and hopefully not for a long time, I’d choose a smaller company or use the do it yourself online method as it saves a lot of cash. The actual solicitor fees are about a grand so the 1.75% charged on top is just pure profit for them.

matt_outandabout

We tried to buy through Clyde, who were utterly useless. They did not qualify any offers, chase up visits or even understand some simple mortgage lending criteria. Neither did they go via usual legal route for offers. This meant that three other offers were accepted, only to fall through as they either had no mortgage in place, or could not borrow enough. In the end I called and withdrew our offer (sent in via solicitor with mortgage offer and bank statement for deposit and copy of our rental agreement to show moving dates) and they were surprised that we had had enough of waiting for over two months…..
    We ended up buying the house anyway, as a local housing developer part exchanged the property, and he and I and solicitor sorted the deal over a coffee.

bajsyckel

So that’s one lot on the maybe list and one lot definitely off the list. Thanks. Glad you were able to vent your frustration too neverownenoughbikes 😀 Any more for any more?

[edit] and another for the avoid list, thanks matt. Got a feeling this list might end up longer than the other one.

matt_outandabout

I should say Clyde were Stirling office.

Garry_Lager

I’d give a qualified recommendation for MacBeth Currie – bought and sold two flats with them a few years back.
    Old school Edinburgh firm – the solicitor running it is excellent, antithesis of some of the bottom feeders you meet in the house-selling business. Everything done properly, on time, with good communication.

Quite a diffident bloke when it came to advising on offers, though, which was critical in the Edinburgh market when we were buying (don’t know what it’s like now) – what you’re paying the guy for really. Speaks in hints and nuances – could be frustrating if you’re more of a plain-speaking type.

neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

No probs bajsyckel, I’ve made it my life’s mission to make sure I tell everyone of my experience when this question pops up.
    we tried to get compensation off them as we were unhappy at the cost, length of time and basically being miss sold in the first place. Their only response was ” but we sold your property”……yeah, that’s the minimum I’d expect from you, it’s how you sold it , the length of time and constant balls ups that I’m not happy with. Totally up their own arse. When you see all the awards they “win” then just remember it is due to 2 things:
    1..They have a department set up specifically to enter the competitions.
    2..other estate agents dont bother entering due to them not having time because they are trying to sell houses!!

neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

I wish I’d known about Macbeth Currie 18 months ago Garry_Lager!!

rickmeister

Connor Malcolm in Stockbridge.

John Hughes as the solicitor and Barbara (???), helped with the sale of three properties. Very professional, all clear up front and could not have helped more.

Property on the market, brochure produced and sold in two weeks. Would not hesitate to recommend them.

neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

It does seem from this that the smaller companies offer a much more personal proffesional service.

bajsyckel

Good stuff GarryLager and Rickmeister, will investigate those further then.

vorlich
    Free Member

We used Macbeth Currie (Dunfermline) last August to sell/purchase ours. Sold accepted offer in 2 days, so they didn’t have much to do for an estate agent POV, they sent a decent photographer which really helps. But our house was well presented and ideal for first time buyers.

Des the solicitor was good to deal with, decent bloke and likes his bikes.

Like anything, there were obstacles (delays getting into the new place), but one the whole a fairly painless experience.

I found being straight/flexible with sellers/buyers ensured everyone was happy. Cost us more in the end as we had 5 weeks between properties with all our stuff in storage, living in my sisters back room. Paid the removals folk twice in effect. But it was all worth it, happy as larry in the new place. 🙂

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Good service buying and selling with Urquharts, came on a personal recommendation from a friend. Would use them again next time.

Liftman

We used Mov8 when selling/buying, good service, they used a Glasgow based solicitor who was on the ball when the sellers solicitor was being tricky.

TheFlyingOx

We sold through MOV8 when we were moving north. Ideal really.

We used them when we bought our current house in Fife. Cost us just under £700 for everything, as opposed to the £2400+ we were quoted for using a more traditional solicitors firm.

For balance, I probably wouldn’t use Leslie Deans again.
    I’m cautious of saying something I’ll regret, especially against a team of solicitors, but my understanding of the situation we’re in regarding our flat in Edinburgh is that they may have dropped a bollock when we bought the flat re: Statutory Notices and retention amounts, and then possibly dropped another when we recently tried to sell the flat, for similar reasons. Given current events I’m more than happy to put our issues down to Edinburgh Council rather than Leslie Deans, but the whole experience has made me question exactly who gets my hard earned cash.

EDIT – and to that end, I would suggest that anyone considering buying in Edinburgh does a bit of research into the Statutory Notice shambles. Currently on hold, but the council are pushing for its re-introduction. I wouldn’t touch a property that might fall under the Statutory Notice umbrella, even if I was spending someone else’s money.

NZCol

Avoid Lindsays, I’m still waiting for paperwork a year after I bought my house. That’s after the dumped me to a new person two days before we settled and didn’t bother to talk to me.

bajsyckel

Good advice people, thanks. Will definitely look into statutory notice stuff too, thanks The Flying Ox. We’re first timers so it’s all a bit daunting at the moment in any case.

Interesting you say avoid Lindays NZCol, had a couple of recommendations for them prior to starting this thread.

piemonster

***thread bookmarked***

**watching with intense interest**

NZCol

bajsyckel – I may have had a bad experience, it may not be a representative example.

bajsyckel

NZCol- I know, but still good to hear. The one good account of them may not be entirely representative either so good to hear both sides. That’s the case with this kind of thing, unless you are a serial home buyer/ seller, you’re bound to be going into things a bit blind, so the more advice the better at this stage.

dufusdip
    Free Member

I used Lints Partnership years ago selling my flat and the guy was very efficient and reasonably priced then. But that was 10 years ago and things can change!

bigjim

Not sure if they do what you are looking for as I only rent, but avoid Braemore at all costs, they are utterly horrendous, disorganised, disinterested, worst service I’ve ever experienced in years of renting. Polar opposite of Charles White who they seemed to acquire and close down.

bajsyckel

That’s Ok BigJim, I’ve also ruled out at least one previous letting agent on those grounds (Retties).

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Mov8 – fixed fee sold Edinburgh flat in 9days! Good service and way cheaper than anyone else in most case 40%-50% cheaper.

unknown
    Free Member

Very similar experience of McEwan Fraser except we ended up paying them even though they didn’t get anywhere near selling our flat. Liars and thieves IMO.

julesf7
    Free Member

I’d have no trouble in recommending Warners. In the last year they have acted on behalf of a buyer for a property that we were selling, subsequent to which we transferred our business to them for a further sale and a purchase. They were content to be grilled a little on their pricing rationale (something many EAs seem to find a challenge), gave sensible advice and kept the ball rolling well. Overall a very satisfactory experience, and far superior to my two previous ones.

fatmax

Mark Peggie at http://www.mhdlaw.co.uk – faultless in three dealings, nicest guy you could wish to meet, not expensive. Would use him tomorrow if needed.

bajsyckel

Thanks for the advice folks, some people to contact now and some to avoid. Just what we needed. 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

ELP bought and sold my last, and sorted a few pals out too, all happy.

Feel free to use my name to Laura.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

We used Boyd Solicitors when we were selling/buying 3-4 years back. Pretty decent all in TBH (I think the chaps name was Mark Hendrie) … they even got back to use a year or two later to say we slightly overpaid with a refund – so not the bunch of crooks that have been mentioned elsewhere.

I’d shop around, get some quotes from decent solicitors (i.e not Macewan Fraser), and then approach the solicitor you want and see what they can do.

oldbloke
    Free Member

I’ve used Richard Loudon at Simpson Marwick for over 20 years. Not cheapest but very effective if you want someone to do more than just process the paperwork.

scotroutes

Sold my Mums house through ELP a few years back and they were fine.

zeffir
    Free Member

Sold our flat through ELP, no problems at all, would use again

fatmax

From two pals that have used him (both upmarket properties) Richard Loudon at Simpson Marwick has a very good reputation, they both really rate him.

bajsyckel

Thanks again for the advice all. Much appreciated.

themightysimmonite
    Free Member

I would highly recommend Somerville & Russell in Musselburgh.
    Use either Colin S or Barbara R.
    I have used them for all my Edinburgh sales & purchases (numbering 4 of each) and they have been faultless everytime.
    They know the Edinburgh market and give good honest & reliable advice. Not sure how their prices compare to others but I am happy to pay their price for their services for the peace of mind it brings.

TMS

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Edinburghers – your estate agents/ solicitors recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.