• This topic has 58 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by brads.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Edinburgh – what’s good?
  • BillOddie

Off to Edinburgh tomorrow for 3 days, does anyone have any recommendations for things to do/see, eating, coffee and the like.

Done all the usual searches and reading and have a few ideas but local recommendations are always welcome!

Cheers in advance!

tjagain

Not the weather this week!

Open top bus is good ( or was went I went on it with pals years ago – interesting snippets of history and you can get on and off it.

Eating – what sort of things? Local to me ( shore leith) there are 25 restaurants from Michelin starred to cheap and cheerful – plenty of cafes as well

Calton hill gives good views of the city centre

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

World beating roadworks at the mo!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Not the castle. Britannia is more interesting.

Arthur’s seat Carlton hill and Scott’s monument for views. If you get a clear day… Camera obscura.

Coffee… Many many options

Food… Many many options defo need some guidance.

Getting around, busses are pretty handy, contactless up to 4.50 or something then they won’t take any more so make alot of sense of the weather is crap to do alot of hopping.

Museum of Scotland is worth a wander. As are all of the galleries.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not fish and chips, they put this heinous broon shit all over it.

StirlingCrispin

Stirling Castle
    Glasgow Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, Riverside Museum.
    Falkirk Wheel.

hels
    Free Member

If you only have 3 days there is plenty in Edinburgh to keep you busy, even indoors. The places Crispin mentions (with respect) are all an hour or so away on the train, fair enough if you had a couple of weeks. And despite recent attempts at gentrification Leith remanins Leith and bandit country. I agree with Irvine Welsh in that all tourists should do a circuit on the 52 bus to see the real Edinburgh but I don’t believe that is mandatory yet!

Added to what others have suggested and actually in Edinburgh, the modern art gallery is good, you can walk to it along the Water of leith from the bottom of the new town (Glenogle Road) and go past some of the famous colonies houses on the way.

There is a farily recent thread on here about places to eat in Edinburgh.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Not fish and chips, they put this heinous broon shit all over it.

Have some respect, it’s called chippy sauce and you’re lucky to get it.

tjagain

And despite recent attempts at gentrification Leith remanins Leith and bandit country.

this is absolute nonsense. Even the “port of leith” has cleaned up and as for the “dirty duck” – its now called the roseleaf and very genteel. When were you last in leith Hels? Even the banana flats are nothing like they were.

jeepers even Muirhouse is nothing like it was 25 years ago

didnthurt

Three days isn’t enough really as there is lots to see and do however, a few standout things I’d do if I was you are:
    – Walk up Arthur’s Seat
    – Visit Edinburgh castle
    – Scottish museum or any number of galleries to visit, actually a walk along the water of Leith to the modern art museum is pretty smart.
    – Walk up Scott Monument
    – There’s lots of really nice restaurants so prebook a few
    – Royal yacht Britannia is worth a visit
    – A mini pub crawl down the grass market
    – Ghost/history city walk
    – Edinburgh zoo to see the pandas

didnthurt

I forgot the obligatory whisky tour… Actually you’d be probably better off just finding a decent pub and ask the bartender to recommend a few.

Mary king’s close is pretty good too, especially if it’s a dark, damp day. Gives Edinburgh a more atmospheric oldy-worldy feel.

didnthurt

Can’t believe that someone has recommended things to do in Edinburgh that are 20-30 miles away. And not even places you’d pass when driving up from England. 🤣

tjagain

actually a walk along the water of Leith to the modern art museum is pretty smart.

this

didnthurt

You could nip into a few nice places on your way or down (depending on which way you’re coming).

Off the A1 you have places like the museum of flight in East Fortune. Or seaside places with great beaches like Gullane or North Berwick.

If coming up the M74 you could go to places like Drumlanrig castle, Bigger, Moffet, Peebles, St Mary’s Loch, Stobo Castle etc, etc.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I agree with TJ, Hels opinion of Leith is bizarre it would take a pretty determined effort to visit and come away thinking that even more so as an ex resident of Edinburgh. Plenty of great places down there.

Personally of the touristy things I found Mary Kings Close really interesting even if there are some really naff attempts to tell ghost stories by the guide. And a trip to the vaults can be good fun aswell.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Agree with all of what Josh says, and TJ.

BillOddie

Thanks all, I’m with the wife and kids (11 and 13) so lots to go at there.

Foodwise – we’re reasonably adventurous, Sushi is universally loved by the whole family for example, I guess “quite nice but not overly poncey/pricey” is our ballpark?

tjagain

The ship on the shore is the best seafood I know and would be my recommendation if yo want seafood. I hardly go up town anymore thos so don’t know whats up there these days.

Philby

Roslyn Chapel is a worth visiting. I enjoyed the Museum of Scotland, Calton Hill and Arthur’s Seat. I went round the Parliament building which was fascinating but not sure it’s open to the public when it’s in session. Great city to just wander round.

tjagain

recorded for posterity

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

🙂

DougD

For sushi I’d definitely recommend Kanpai, v tasty and good central location.

For pizza (ok, doesn’t tick adventurous), 1926 is excellent and pretty reasonable.

Coffee, you’re spoilt for choice up here, so many good places to choose from.

jimmy

Roslyn Chapel is a worth visiting

I live in Roslyn/Rosslyn/Roslin. If you’re coming to the chapel it’s worth a walk down the Glen even if it’s pashin doon. If you end up coming I can give you some pointers. The Inn is pretty good for food and a pint too.

fruitbat

Stirling Castle
    Glasgow Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, Riverside Museum.
    Falkirk Wheel.

and The Kelpies

kennyp
    Free Member

If you like sushi then Yamato at Tollcross is worth a visit. Superb food.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I can’t decide if I should be proud or worried that I have been lumped into the same sentence as TJ.

Caveat.. it’s been 2 years pretty much since I have had a concerted attempt to try places in Edinburgh for obvious reasons.

On the subject of fish and chips, I swing both ways when it comes to chippy sauce. I’d just say don’t get fish and chips because there isn’t a particularly good fish and chip shop in Edinburgh.

Vietnam house for eh… Vietnamese
    Indian… Loads, I like mother India because I can order many many things but there are literally loads of other good options.

El cartel… For tacos although I will caveat I did have one poor experience but had great meals before and after that one.

Coffee… Cairngorm, Wellington, *something* and Williamson, brewlab artisan roast.

Actually my hot tip would be Mary’s milk bar for ice-cream.

tjagain

I’d just say don’t get fish and chips because there isn’t a particularly good fish and chip shop in Edinburgh.

Oh dear Pierinos in leith is fabulous ( well its not really edinburgh 🙂 )- the best I have ever had and the Alba d’oro in the new town used to be good but I haven’t been there for years

joshvegas
    Free Member

Alba d’oro

Living off past glories, don’t think they have served alligator in years.

I’m not saying there aren’t decent ones. But there’s no WeeChippy in anstruther competition. Haven’t tried pierinos, I’ll look it up.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Fish at Marchmont do an excellent fish and chips and other stuff too, not your bog standard chippy. They have a plaice at Haymarket too. Chez Jules do good value French lunches and Ting Thai Caravan used to be excellent but eating out is not something I get to do much recently.

kennyp
    Free Member

If you want a bar with a “wow look at that” experience then The Dome fits the bill. If you want a more down to earth ordinary pub then the Bow Bar, despite it being in the heart of tourist country.

kennyp
    Free Member

The Camera Obscura is worth going to. And a morning walk up to the top of Arthur’s Seat if you’ve been hitting the pubs the night before.

DougD

Another recommendation for Chez Jules. I’d put off going there for years for some unknown reason, but it’s fast becoming my favourite restaurant in Edinburgh. Good prices, really tasty food.

maccruiskeen

I’d just say don’t get fish and chips because there isn’t a particularly good fish and chip shop in Edinburgh.

Oh dear Pierinos in leith is fabulous ( well its not really edinburgh 🙂 )- the best I have ever had and the Alba d’oro in the new town used to be good but I haven’t been there for years

Pierinos is nice, perhaps even really nice…. thats it – I’ve eaten there most weeks for the past year as I’m currently the kind of sleazy ner-do-well that hangs around Leith Docks.  Its not fabulous. The chipshop at the Burnside Garage on South Uist is fabulous Peirinos is just a good chipshop by central Scotland standards but not somewhere to seek out.

NZCol

I had a drink on the rooftop terrace of the new whisky experience on Prince St and it’s rather good. Lunch in Harvey Niks rooftop also good. Loads of good boozers , fave is Cafe Royal accepting it isn;t for everyone.

Saccades
    Free Member

I was there this weekend just gone.

**** me it’s hilly.

Bow (sp) bar was good.

Don’t remember much else tbh.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Best fish and chips I’ve found in Edinburgh is the Fishmarket on Newhaven harbour. Expect to queue though.

donald
    Free Member

They have a plaice at Haymarket

I sea what you did there.

impatientbull

If you like hipster beers the Salt Horse is good.

bigjim

If you like sushi then Yamato at Tollcross is worth a visit. Superb food.

agreed make sure you try the aubergine thing they do too

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I sea what you did there.

Thank cod for that, I thought it was too deep for folks on here.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh – what’s good?’ is closed to new replies.