Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Edinburgh/Stirling Afternoon/Evening ride Enduro Bike or Gravel Bike?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Up that way Tues/Wed and wondering if I have enough time to get a ride in while I’m up there should be wrapped up early enough on Tuesday to get a ride in if I’m organised

Which is my best bet – not looking to go deep into the lights battery more get something in

Or is it wet enough to not bother with either?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Where will you be, Ed or Stirling?.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Meeting near Stirling, probably heading back down to Edinburgh for the night

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dumyat, that’s what I’d do. Start from Logie kirk, I can send you a GPX if you like?.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yes please though which bike – need to do some packing!!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

MTB, I don’t do gravel! Pm yer email mate.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

cheers done 🙂

mashr

Yeah Dumyat is the obvious choice. It’s soaking at the moment but still good

bigyan
    Free Member

Dumyat/Witches Craig
    Add on Uni Woods if time
    Add on Mine Woods if time

Or

Cambusbarron/Northird

or

Old DH track at Dollar

Its all a total slop fest just now.

DickBarton

As it is slop fest, how are the Pentlands? If the same then hard choice.

Without intentionally sounding like Drac’s fun sponge, if it is as bad as that, should you be riding it and making it worse?

Aware that is old-skool thinking and goes against the current trend of ‘Sod that, not my issue, I just want to ride my bike and don’t care’…

If Pentlands are draining better then maybe a better place to go ride?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Most of the Pentlands will be the same, odd bits in the woods will be ok if you know where to look but most of the hill paths will be like a wet sponge. Been a lot of rain the last week or so.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If that is the case then it’s looking more like the gravel bike then, slop hire cars and hotels are never the best combo!!

NZCol

Gravel bike and waterfalls loop in Pentlands. Start and finish at Harlaw car park.

arrpee
    Free Member

If you’re around Stirling, it’s not too far to Comrie Croft. Great spot for an afternoon’s fun without the aforementioned erosion guilt.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Gravel bike might be fun on the Callander Trails at Falkirk.

ceept

On an MTB, Dumyat & witches crags are the closest to Stirling. If you have time, Comrie croft is great fun for a couple of hours & pretty resilient to the crap weather.

If you want gravel riding, head to Aberfoyle & the Trossachs.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gravel? I’m out.

StirlingCrispin

Gravel –

Glen Rd from Bridge of Allan – Sherrifmuir Monument – Sherrifmuir Inn – Dumyat carpark and down to Logie Kirk is a fun couple of hours on very quiet / closed roads with cracking views.

Or back of Dumyat on the hill farm track – it’s gravel.

Or Touch Hills from Gargunnock (Hillhead farm) – up and up and up – veer left and descend to Touch reservoir and down to Cambusbarron.

(Disclaimer – I have no idea what a gravel bike is but have dragged my touring bike where MTBs fear to tread)

oldtennisshoes

Carron Valley might be a decent all weather option if you have a hire car – could be fun on the Gravel bike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cheers for all that 🙂 Lets hope the weather is good!!

StirlingCrispin

Ooh –

If you do the Glen Rd / Sherrifmuir / Dumyat option I suggested, at the Dumyat carpark you can follow the new gravel path (don’t ask) to Cocksburn reservoir. From here, you can then drop down on a wee road past the golf club back to BofA, or follow the Coppermine path down past Mine woods.

If you drop down to Logie Kirk, you can return to BofA via the University and various posh residential streets.

A detour to take in the Wally Monny – and it’s gravel paths is another option.

As are the new (sob!) gravel paths round the Sherrifmuir Monument.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh/Stirling Afternoon/Evening ride Enduro Bike or Gravel Bike?’ is closed to new replies.