Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Edinburgh schools. (heads should roll)
  • onehundredthidiot

Well there’s a turn up for the books, schools built and refurbished under PFI (or whatever it was called at the time) seem to have been built, in part, to the lowest possible cost, to the company, and are not safe. Lots being shut.
    Thank goodness no one was hurt but it’ll cause strife with exam season being weeks away.
    Safety fears close 17 Edinburgh school. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-36001065

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes, so not only are the PFI schools incredibly expensive – far more expensive than just building the things directly – they’re also built on the cheap to maximise company profits.

onehundredthidiot

Waiting for the companies responsible to step in and take control.

They must have this in the project risk management somewhere.

bencooper
    Free Member

What’s the betting there’s no penalty clauses in the PFI contracts? Private profits, public liabilities, that was the attraction to the companies, wasn’t it?

matt_outandabout

This is not only Edinburgh. I know of three other authorities that are inspecting scholols at present.

Do remember Edinburgh are (rightly) sensitive after the wall collapse at Liberton killed a pupil a year or more back.

ontor
    Free Member

If only someone, somewhere could have predicted this!

Trekster

Easy to blame the builder but councils and Scot.Gov.Uk probably should shoulder some blame.
    MrsT is a civil servant and isn’t surprised 🙄
    Tjnr worked on a local school extension as a consultant structural engineer. At one point the builder was working to 3 different drawings supplied to him via council architect ❗
    Then there is the saga of the towns lie sure centre!!!!!!!
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/secret-update-dg-one-leisure-6638615#B2PRDyAowse4mrSE.97

Everyone is awaiting the next saga, we have a new hospital being built…..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-31837171

Yesterday Mr Swinney announced they might provide money to regenerate Stanraer. We all hope that will include upgrading the A75 so that people from the south can get there without wrecking their cars and dodging Havana from the ferry terminal!!!

onehundredthidiot

Bet there’s a nice handy “I’m no payin'” clause built in.

Sat through the design stage for a PPP school science labs, great big shiny list of things you could have, each with a cost for the lifetime of the contract.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Are the roads PFI too? Shocking state in Edinburgh.

ian martin
    Free Member

Always thought something like this might happen, the schools were only built to last 25 years as it’s cheaper to knockdown a building and rebuild than it is to renovate it. Even if they had built the schools to last 100 years the full heating system, electric installation, fixtures and fittings would be at the end of their life after 25 years.

I think it all stems from when labour came to power under Blair, they inherited a badly neglected and underfunded school infrastructure (not to mention all the other neglected underfunded state ran facilities but that’s for another moan).
    I left school in 94 and we were being taught in cold damp cabins which were meant to only be a stop gap for a couple years but were 10 – 15 years old and it seems other schools were in the same state at the time.

Schools round where I live that were built under the pfi scheme are fantastically equipped with top sports facilites (swimming pools, indoor sports halls etc), drama facilities with beautiful stages and even recording studios.

I worked in a few a couple of years ago and was impressed with the setup kids now have.

The affected schools will be patched up and made safe and after the 25 year lease is up (which some schools will only be in about 15 years) they will be replaced with another new one.
    But I agree that if they are not safe then heads should roll, alas I feel this won’t happen as its been a while since some were built and some contracting companies involved have gone bump, plus staff retiring/leaving the industry and it takes quite a few people to design, approve and build a modern school so lots of wriggle room for all involved.

onehundredthidiot

The building I teach in was 5 years old when my dad left (teaching there) in 1978. It was only meant to last 20 years. So it’s well passed that. Unfortunately I feel the monies set aside to put new windows in and make it water tight will go on patching up the newer flagship PPP schools in the region.

T1000
    Free Member

The same people who procured these in the authorities will be making similar poor procurement decisions whatever route they choose

cbike
    Free Member

1960’s schools leaked as soon as they were opened and continued to leak until they were demolished. Design life was 25 years.

Edinburgh has about half? of its weans privately educated, they could be dealing with a bigger problem!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Half? Very much doubt that.

jodafett

[/quote]Are the roads PFI too? Shocking state in Edinburgh.

I had a sudden realisation while driving round Edinburgh the other day. The reason they spent all that money on the tram was to keep the tourist off the utterly awful roads

Edit. ^^ That quoting malarkey didn’t quite work!

km79
    Free Member

Are the roads PFI too? Shocking state in Edinburgh.

Nope, but they are in Birmingham and Sheffield. By the same company involved in the Edinburgh schools.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Edinburgh has about half? of its weans privately educated

25%
    What school taught you statistics 😉

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

What Which school taught you statistics?

😀

project
    Free Member

our local pfi school rebuilt and enlarged has changed hands again 3rd time and now needs to make 800,000 quids savings this year,due to massive overspend by previous lot in charge already got rid of 15 jobs,and more to come.

project
    Free Member

oh and its an ACADEMEY

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

our local pfi school

In Chester? Which one is that?

onehundredthidiot

Fortunately Scottish schools haven’t “academy” status. But I bet the PPP companies don’t pay to make right so councils will need to cut back somewhere.

project
    Free Member

captainsasquatch – Member
    our local pfi school

In Chester? Which one is that?

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/job-cuts-feared-birkenhead-park-11147238

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Thanks.

giant_scum
    Free Member

No coincidence that Edinburgh Council laid off 2000 workers 2 weeks back and that a fair fee getting nice redundancy packages will have been involved in this debacle!

konabunny
    Free Member

It will be entirely coincidental if any workers who were involved in these terrible decisions were made redundant…knowing Edinburgh Council.

The 25% figure for Edinburgh private educated kids is slightly overstated – in the sense that a fair chunk of those kids will be from outside Edinburgh (commuters and boarders, in other words). The percentage of actual edinburgher kids will be lower.

garvaldnights
    Free Member

I’ve taught in one of the PPI Edinburgh schools and my partner still does. From day one there were faults. These were reported by the teachers as asked and reported to the company. They were never acted on as the schools had been signed off a before the snagging was complete. Eight years on the vertical blinds still blow to a 45 degree angle when the wind blows from the south, the gaps in the frames were never fixed. Wall panels were held on by only two of the four corners, the other two screws were never put in. The gym in the school I last worked in was closed for a while as the high walls weren’t tied in to the external wall- they bulged. The roof blew off, was repaired and blew off again a year later. The greenhouse was condemned as Undset from day one as the leaks from the rode shorted out the electrics.

The group that built the schools was convicted of operating a cartel in pricing them up to begin with. The dicier you o the private sector. It was men against boys when the contracts wee drawn up. Very sad for pupils, parents and teachers and criminal for the companies and the LA workers who contracted them.

project
    Free Member

But crap building of schools is not new, a school in wrexham burnt down due to no fire division in its roof spaces and no smoke or fire alarms, our old school the roof blew off the four storey tower block, the boilers packed up quite often, the grounds flooded, being lower than the school building that was built on a hill,the new build bit was built of timber frame, and echoed so badly in the corridors that it all had to be carpeted to try and stop the noise,then there where the badly fitted windows, gales blew through the gaps, doors sticking,the college i went to in liverpool was contaminated by asbestos ceiling tiles.

strangely all signed off by someone on the education dept as being ok.

br
    Free Member

Based upon my experience of the public sector they’re so focused (especially in Jan/Feb/Mar) on spending their CAPEX budget that they totally forget about the OPEX cost.

And you can’t just blame the builders, as I’m sure they were constructed to a defined specification.

jag61

cant comment about Edinburgh schools but the crop of BSF schools built in Leeds that I saw were clearly poorly designed and never going to last long. The buildings that were replaced at the school I taught in were cold leaky and generally knackered but they were about 40 yrs old or more. the new buildings were badly designed lots of glass and flat roofing, walls were a ‘commercial’ type of boarding with a 3mm skim sealer . These new super schools will be needing huge amounts spent on them in the next few years… Lawyers will get fat

duckman

And let’s not forget the nice little earner involved in hiring every stich of furniture in the school to the council…

dragon
    Free Member

I can’t see how this is specifically a PFI problem, as loads of schools built in the 60s were utter sh*te. Also there will always be issues found straight after opening it is a commonly known phenomenon see bathtub curve, key thing is to get them fixed.

A 25 year design life doesn’t seem unreasonable there won’t be much in industry designed longer. And just cos it was designed for only 25 years doesn’t mean that if it won’t last a lot longer if well maintained and it has money spent on it.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

strangely all signed off by someone on the education dept as being ok.

The honest, professional and diligent public sector employee must have been conned or misled

konabunny
    Free Member

I’m sure there could never be a suggestion that Edinburgh council employees would behave dishonestly OH WAIT

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Someone* thought PFI was a good idea. There’s been a lot of it. Three-year-old Grauniad linky…

http://archive.is/GP2XN

*possibly Gordon Brown

onehundredthidiot

Only an idiot would allow schools to be built and run by private profit making bodies and not expect short cuts profit maximising measure to be standard. What happens after the 25 year contract? At present building go on, will these bodies just say out you go?

grumpysculler
    Free Member

It’s OK, the council can sort out the repairs like they already do when necessary for private properties

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/crime/repairs-scandal-corrupt-council-staff-took-bribes-1-3770768

Bunch of f****** muppets (both council and PPP company) but you can bet that the council are as bad as any other public body and will have negotiated a truly weak contract.

poly
    Free Member

Will Edinburgh council building control not have inspected and signed off all 17 of these buildings at various stages?

Even if they were public financed, the work would have been tendered.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Where’s T J for an opinion on E’burg council?

onehundredthidiot

AFAIK it’s one of those hazy things. The company tendered for the contract to build and rent the schools. The letting contract has been bought out by another group (I assume nothing the renters could do about that) the council is obviously tied into the contract by dint of having no school building for these kids. How closely do building control inspect because there seems to be some bits missing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh schools. (heads should roll)’ is closed to new replies.