Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • edinburgh road route
  • jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

i do apologise for the roadie content, but there does seem to be quite a lot of you and also a fair edinburgh contingent, just thought i’d share my favourite route, which i only discovered recently. it does have a bit of traffic in and out (though you could cyclepath some of it if that’s your thing) and 1.5 miles of A7, but other than that it’s all tiny roads, is a decent length (50 miles), has some hills.. i love it!

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/579250

if anyone else has any really nice routes i’d love to know!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yup those are lovely roads, hard to beat!

kennyp
    Free Member

Lots of nice road routes all round the city. We’re off to Balerno – Carnwath – Biggar – Broughton – Peebles – Innerleithen – Edinburgh tomorrow.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

did innerleithen to edin the other day, that’s a great road! though perhaps not so much when you’ve already done the rest.. if you’re not totally done in i recommend you take the route above from middleton>temple>carrington back in, it’s much nicer than the A7 alternative (and is _mostly_ downhill)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I could do you an offroad route that follows most of that. Much more intersting

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

oh yeah? please do!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

seriously?

Leith – along the shoere on various paths an stuff to mussleburgh, up the esk to whitecraigs, Pencaitland railway walk to saltoun, road to stobsheil east of humbie, tracks over the hills to carfraemill, tracks over the hills to fountainhall, back road to heriot, tracks to Middletoun hall ( faint in the middle)Back roads to Penicuik, over the pentlands to balerno , WOL path back to leith

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

well i wouldn’t be on here if i didn’t like offroad too..

that sounds a bit epic though, might need a couple days!

uistboy
    Free Member

that sounds a bit epic though, might need a couple days!

a half day on the singlespeed cyclocrosser

TheFlyingOx

Balerno – Carnwath – Biggar – Broughton – Peebles – Innerleithen – Edinburgh

*makes note*

That looks a belter. I did Edinburgh – Balerno – Carnwath – Castlecraig – Howgate – Edinburgh a couple of months ago. Never thought to look out the smaller roads.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TJ if you’d ridden those roads you’d know they are quiet, pretty, interesting and way more scenic than the dirt-alternatives.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

That looks a belter. I did Edinburgh – Balerno – Carnwath – Castlecraig – Howgate – Edinburgh a couple of months ago. Never thought to look out the smaller roads

i’ve done this a few times http://ridewithgps.com/routes/414279 which has some nice bits, newly and expertly reseurfaced newbigging>a702 and the bit from west linton to penicuik, but that stretch of the a702 is always busy and quite unpleasant, maybe just need to stretch it a little to blyth bridge>romano bridge>west linton cos the a701 is much better. or just go out much further as above!

the a70 down the other side is surprisingly ok too, though i keep meaning to find a back-road route down that side

13thfloormonk

Nice looking route, I struggle to get out on the road bike when I’m in the city as I just can’t be hooped with the roundabouts, traffic and lights around the outskirts.

That said, you could add maybe 5 miles and some great wee hills if you added the Gilston road (a bit ‘farmy’ but good climbs and descents) and then crossed the main road to join the road from Heriot and climb up to the minor road from Inners, turn right and descend to Middleton to rejoin your route.

Might need to try this soon, can’t just keep getting the train to Dunblane every time I want to ride the road bike!

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

oh yeah, that would be good – thanks!

what do you do at dunblane? i did look at this http://ridewithgps.com/routes/413125 i.e. train there and ride back, but it’s not ideal as it gets closer to the bridge and i’ve never got around to doing it.

13thfloormonk

You can make some pretty good loops from Dunblane, but generally quite long ones, for instance Dunblane – Comrie – Glen Ogle – Killin – Glen Lyon – return the same way or via Kenmore and Amulree.

Also from Dunblane you can go more west towards Callendar and then into the Trossachs, think that makes a reasonable 90ish.

kennyp
    Free Member

did innerleithen to edin the other day, that’s a great road! though perhaps not so much when you’ve already done the rest.. if you’re not totally done in i recommend you take the route above from middleton>temple>carrington back in, it’s much nicer than the A7 alternative (and is _mostly_ downhill)

We did take that route, and yes, it’s much better than the A7. We also missed out Peebles and instead went further south after Broughton to take in the Talla Reservoir climb. Fantastic day out in beautiful weather. Just over 100 miles in total.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘edinburgh road route’ is closed to new replies.