• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by br.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Edinburgh – Newcastle route help please!
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

Hoping to do a last minute credit card tour from Edinburgh to Newcastle this weekend. I’ve got the Coast and Castles route, which looks great, but there are a few bits off road. Does anyone know if these sections are likely to cause problems for 25mm road tyres, and should I alter the routes? I’d rather not if possible as those look like some of the most scenic bits, around Scremerston/Cheswick, Dunstanburgh and Amble.

Cheers!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Check my old thread on this topic. The cycle route is apparently slow and tricky to navigate.

I had a day to do it and got the train to Tweedbank. The A68 was OK but a bit relentless.

If I had 2 days I’d get the train to say Alnwick then ride to Lockerbie, I did that once and it was lovely.

I’ve done a few point to point rides and tbh I now look for nicer routes in the same area as p2p limits your route.

imnotverygood

The bit just south of Beriwck is probably best avoided with 25mm tyres. It can be done- it just isn’t too much fun. Muddy fields + a few sand dunes. IIRC after Lindisfarne there aren’t any issues. If you use the inland C&C route via the Tweed vally most of the route is ok. Or iw was when I did it about 6/7 years ago. Personally I wouldn’t use the A68.

ian martin
    Free Member

I did this with a pal earlier this year, ’twas good!

I too did it on 25mm tyres (Planet X gutter snipes), the Berwick bit was a touch sketchy but I quite enjoyed it, my pal less so.

There’s another muddy bit later on but I can’t quite remember where exactly, the weaving in and out of coast heading between Berwick and Newcastle is a bit demoralising and I think a more inland route would be better as it would be more direct. There was some steep little climbs up and around a cottage or two then back down hill to only have to repeat it again a few miles down the road.

We bivvied on the beach at bamburgh after about 125miles, 5 pints of Guinness, 2 single malts and a steak & ale pie in the local in bamburgh.

2nd day was a scoosh, awesome tail wind, glorious sun (made up for the previous wet day), we booked a suite at the Marriott in Newcastle so spent time in spa when we got to Newcastle.

Enjoy.

jonba
    Free Member

Scremerston/Cheswick as above. You probably could in my opinion if you were careful. You can see a lot of the tarmac bits on streetview. When the google car doesn’t go there it is rougher.

The bit just north of Boulmer again might be ok if you are brave, wearing mtb shoes so you can walk sections and is dry but I think you are going to have to divert to the road there.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Thanks folks. I think as we’re trying to cover quite a lot of distance each day, I’ll stick to proper roads this time. We can take the more scenic/muddy route on more suitable bikes another time.
    Cheers,

br
    Free Member

Use the Wooler road, and then Duns, Longformacus, Giford and Musselburgh.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh – Newcastle route help please!’ is closed to new replies.