Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Edinburgh Gumtree – suspicious bike ad (Kona Stinky Deluxe)
  • mieszko
    Free Member

Kona Stinky Deluxe

Just thought that it’s a bit suspicious. Price seems ok-ish but zero description and crappy pics.

Trek Fuel EX9 2008 for 640

Nice pics, good description, but price seems low. If it’s legit than someone can bag a bargain.

Those are some pretty nice bikes and like I wrote before I am not saying that those bikes were stolen as I don’t know that, but the Kona ad feels a bit strange.

dashman
    Free Member

It would be ok if the seller was from Morningside 😉

crouch_potato
    Free Member

Hmmm… a mate of mine was interested in that Trek, he just forwarded me a reply from the seller that has more than a whiff of a scam about it. If it looks too good to be true, it usually is.

Northwind

The trek screams alarms doesn’t it… Too cheap, too new.

The Stinky smells legit to me, if only for the horrible pics and the fact that it comes with lights and suchlike, looks like a classic born-again cyclist buying a horribly inappropriate bike and then never riding it?

Spesh99
    Free Member

Dunno bout the kona- who trys to sell a nearly new kona stinky and doesn’t mention the spec at all but does say that it come with cateye lights (who puts lights on a stinky anyway). Also although I probably shouldn’t say this but the seller is from one of the roughest areas of Edinburgh where there are next to no cars let alone 2 grand bikes.

Do you rekon it would be worth forwarding the link to the local police so that they can check if there has been a stinky stolen recently.

EDIT: the ad has just been deleted- dunno if it was by the seller or gumtree.

kimbers

the state of the junk mail in that flat doesnt lend an air of honesty to the stinky seller

mieszko
    Free Member

A bit of an update on that Trek. Same seller was selling some nice roadbikes, Cervelo, Specialized etc, i think 3 in total, so 4 bikes with the Trek Ex. The only suspicious thing about those bikes apart from low prices was that all pics were made in different locations 🙂 Maybe he keeps his bikes around Edinburgh, so he can always get a ride home on a carbon TT Cervelo 😉

Northwind

Yeah, he’s thrown up loads more now, including an Sworks which was an “unwanted gift”

Spesh99
    Free Member

Right so he is selling lots of bikes (both road and mtb) at prices much lower than they should be, he has a s-works that was an “unwanted gift”, he lives in Wester Hailes where there is barely a car to be seen, the adverts don’t include the specs or a description of the bike- some simply advertise thousand pound bikes as “bicycle” or advertise the fact it comes with lights, someone who has contacted him has claimed the “more than a whiff of a scam” about the reply he recieved.

I found this cached page of an earlier advert for the stinky where he calls it a gents bicycle- that doesn’t sound like someone who rides bikes to me. Also this advert above that was deleted has been reposted.

Don’t know if they are stolen bikes or there is some other scam but none of this seems right. If he is a bike thief then it seems he has been responsible for quite a few bike theft in Edinburgh (or maybe further afield)

steeble
    Free Member

That kona is up again, the price has been reduced quite a bit. Now £770 or £690. I asked how big it was and what year but he doesnt seem to know either even though he claims to have the receipt for it. So tempted to have a closer look but seems so dodgy

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh Gumtree – suspicious bike ad (Kona Stinky Deluxe)’ is closed to new replies.