Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • EDINBURGH FOLK: recommend a good chiropractor?
  • bencooper
    Free Member

The chiropractic profession make no outlandish claims.

Apart from curing cancer by giving someone a back rub…

glupton1976
    Free Member

Dr. Homoky’s chiropractic education began at the University of Calgary, Canada, where he completed his pre-med Bachelor of Science degree in 1994. Subsequently, in 1998 he received his Doctor of Chiropractic degree from Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College in Toronto. After graduation, Dr. Homoky decided to return to the U.K., his birthplace, and following years of clinical associate work, opened Health for Life Family Chiropractic in beautiful Edinburgh, Scotland. He has been practising there ever since.

So 4yrs pre-med then 4yrs of chiro college for which the pre med degree isnt an entry requirement.

So same as a physio, but the physios dont call themselves doctors and tend to go for an evidence based approach.

crikey
    Free Member

😆

He’s got a website…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

😆

vorlich
    Free Member

I wonder if he accepts magic beans as payment

crikey
    Free Member

How interesting…

I can’t be 100% sure, but I think that his website has changed in the last 10 minutes, making access to some of the information a bit harder to get.

🙄

…and he’s removed the link from his profile…

druidh
    Free Member

Yep – he’s changed it quite a bit (but google cache is your friend).

More google results: http://adventuresinnonsense.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/quest-for-dr-paul-homokys-secret.html

crikey
    Free Member

Oh, I’m loving that. it seems that Dr Paul or to give him his full medical title, Paul*, has previous…

Why then would you come to CurmudgeonlyTrackWorld with a ‘Kick Me’ sticker on your bottom?

*stolen joke alert!

klumpy
    Free Member

I wonder if he accepts magic beans as payment

Nah, but he’ll let you manipulate his wallet to restore its natural intelligence in order that it can grow it’s own money.

stanfree
    Free Member

Second Physis , Yolande the south african at Trinity is very good and streets ahead of the NHS treatment I got at the Roodlands in Haddington.

crikey
    Free Member

He’s changed his website again…

Business a bit slow today Paul?

glupton1976
    Free Member

He’s taken his description of his training off his website. Shame that Dr Paul Homoky isn’t willing to let his patients know exactly what training he went through…

rickmeister

Another recommendation for Knight Chiropractic in Musselburgh. Put my neck straight in a very short time and number of sessions. Connected with a tree in Finale and my neck didnt seize up until a little while on return.

All paid for by healthcare insurance and very professional IMHO. Would go again if neeed.

HTH

crikey
    Free Member

Be a shame if this dropped off the radar so soon…

Cougar

Ooh! I missed this, thanks Crikey.

The chiropractic profession make no outlandish claims.

This would be hilarious if it wasn’t such a dangerous lie.

Chiropractic is rooted in vitalism, which has been known to be hogwash for half a millennium. It claims to work on the body’s ‘innate intelligence’ and over the years has claimed to cure pretty much every ailment you can think of. Yet the only proven efficacy beyond placebo is for lower back pain, and even that is controversial and not particularly significant when stacked up against other treatments.

The danger comes when people start believing these lies and sign up for a spot of subluxation in lieu of actual treatment for serious afflictions.

Some chiropractors argue that they don’t go in for all the vitalistic woo or that they supplement it with other more mainstream techniques; but then, you’re no longer practising chiropractic, what you’ve got there is a nice cup of tea and a relaxing back rub.

where is the research that medicine and surgery can cure back pain? If you read it, it’s more of a horror story than a success story; death and paralysis are major “side effects.” No thanks.

Irrespective of whether that’s true or not, that doesn’t mean you get to make up any old nonsense and claim it’s “better”. Drinking a glass of water has fewer potential side effects than surgery, does that mean we should start suggesting water as an alternative therapy? (Oh, wait, the homeopaths have that base covered.)

glupton1976
    Free Member

This thread is missing videos of voodoo chiropractic techniques.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDXxlPo4dMg[/video]

What is that clicky thing meant to do?

Or a much more disturbing

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLhodt5T2XQ&feature=rellist&playnext=1&list=PL5A97E9C3C261A449[/video]

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that Chiropracters are the modern equivalent of snake oil salesmen/homeopaths/mediums/”Dr” Gillian McKeith

My wife has had terrible back pain for years (she describes it as clamping around her muscles) and generally can’t walk very far without ending up in extreme pain. She’s tried the doctors who referred her to physio, silly shaped trainers which are supposed to help. More exercise, less exercise…..the list does go on. She picks up a Groupon deal for a chiropractor, 2 sessions for 20 notes.

So after going for her first 30 minute session (which lasted 12 minutes) where he prodded her back twice, made the diagnosis that one leg is shorter than the other, used some device that was somewhere between a corkscrew and a bit of old chair leg to “work her bones back into place” he suggested a course of around 7 or 8 sessions…….£300 later (the sessions got more expensive yet the time got shorter, last count was 4 minutes) I put my foot down and told her never to go back.

Quacks the lot of them. And I will happily sit here and argue the toss with “Dr” Paul, I look forward to his massive amount of evidence that he will put forward to change all our minds……although I imagine the standard response I’m afraid I won’t be sending you any information. I am far too busy helping patients to improve their health through natural, safe techniques and to help educate the public regarding prevention and lifestyle management. won’t be long in coming.

edit: The clicky thing in the first video is the device I’m talking about, I think it extracts money from your wallet without you noticing

cynic-al
    Free Member

This thread rocks.

Classic STW.

crikey
    Free Member

http://www.supplies4clinics.co.uk/epages/es146579.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es146579/Products/CAT_003003

It’s a Chiropractic adjustment tool. Note the ‘revolutionary’ blue colour and the price!

It’s used for nudging vertebrae as far as I can see and is no doubt carefully calibrated to make a noise when it does so; all part of the magic.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

£249 and blue, does that mean its a Park Tool?

crikey
    Free Member

The thing that gets me is that many ‘chiropractors’, including Dr Paul, are probably very good at physical therapy. Stretching, manipulating, pushing bits back into alignment, breaking the pain-spasm-pain cycle and so on.

No need for the other stuff..

grum
    Free Member

In other words, people vote with their feet, and every year millions of people see a chiropractor, happily, and return again in the future when needed, even when they have to pay for it out of their pocket.

Nice logical fallacy there. Appeal to popularity.

glupton1976
    Free Member

A couple of week ago I watched someone who works in a chiro practice spend a couple of hours “flicking” muscles to get the persons bones back into alignment. Any ideas what that is all about?

glupton1976
    Free Member

AaaaChooooo. Chiro any good for sneezes?

villageidiot
    Free Member

After trying a couple of other places I was lucky enough to be pointed towards Edinburgh Sports Injury Clinic , can’t recommend them highly enough although they can be very busy.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘EDINBURGH FOLK: recommend a good chiropractor?’ is closed to new replies.