Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Edinburgh folk – bikes in tenement stairwells/closes
  • MrKmkII
    Free Member

Does anyone know the rules or regulations about keeping bikes in Edinburgh tenement stairwells? We live in a first floor flat and keep two bikes locked up in the stairwell, chained close to the bannister railing. Earlier today someone has put up a rather unofficial looking notice stating that no bikes are allowed in tenement stairwells…

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

WTF
    Free Member

Hazard for fire escape tbh.

heechee
    Free Member

Yeah, the council may have a go at you for obstructing the stairwell.

Also, you risk having your bikes nicked.

NewRetroTom

Depends how tolerant your neighbours are. I live on the first floor and have two bikes (neither of them worth anything) on our landing. No one has complained in the 3 years I’ve been here.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

In my experience of Edinburgh tenements, if you like your bike you will find a way to keep it inside.

Hung on the back of the door where ones dressing gown should be always did the trick…

Almost all stairwells used to have bikes… now there’s just triangles and forks.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

I can’t believe you NRT – a bike has lasted 3 years in a stair?

The Council is currently looking at bike storage in tenements etc and, while I haven’t looked at the proposals too closely, they seem to be expecting folk to park their pride and joy in a cage on the street where everyone can see just what it is and when it’s there. Don’t think it’ll catch on.

hels
    Free Member

It wasn’t my bike, but in a stair in Edinburgh I lived in an especially zealous neighbour called the Fire Dept and had the bikes removed.

They get stolen all the time too – sounds like a lot of bother to me.

coogan
    Free Member

Had my commuting bike in my stair well for over 3 years and it’s been fine. I’m on the top floor mind you, so out the way.

althepal

If you’re locking it up put a lock thru the bannister as well as the uprights. The uprights are usually made of cast iron thaw brittle. One good hit with a hammer and the shear pretty easy. The wooden bannister at least takes a bit of time to saw thru!

maccruiskeen

I’ve seen banisters sawn through too – in two places, above and below the lock. I’d rather have a bike locked up in plain sight than to give someone all the time and privacy they need. The reality is they are more vulnerable in the close than they are on the street.

But regardless of whether the official looking notice has any real teeth, if cluttering up communal space is upsetting your neighbours then its time to find the bikes a new home.

Garry_Lager

I’ve kept my tricross in the stair for a few years, along with my wife’s giant xtc. Neighbour has a half-decent commuter that he just leans against the wall, nae lock. This is in EH10 though, it’s practically a gated community.

If someone got arsey about it and wanted them moved I’d probably say ok. They do clutter the stair up – mine’s used everyday but the wife’s is like a permanently-installed stair sculpture.

bigjim

hanging them on the wall is great, even some shelf brackets will do or a hook to hang the front wheel on. our neighbours have been told to move their bikes off the stair but haven’t yet. in an old stair we had some nicked, they just broke the iron railing bits and walked out with the bikes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

no bikes are allowed in tenement stairwells…

That’s BS…but I have heard, as others, that the Fire Dept can remove them if they are causing an obstruction.

Jus put a sign up saying “signs are not allowed” 😛

epicyclo

Get a set of quick detach pedals – something like these from SJS:

It helps make your bike thin for storing against walls etc.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh folk – bikes in tenement stairwells/closes’ is closed to new replies.