Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Edinburgh folk
  • fasthaggis

It’s been a while, but I was going to go for a beer next week in the Canny Mans in Morningside. Is it still ok as a pub or are they running it like an exclusive diner?
    I have fond memories of when it used to be my local, but I can stay up at Holy corner/Bruntsfield if there is a better choice around that area. Thanks

kcal

I recall it as a quirky, pretty pricy local with usually decent beer. This was several years ago too though :/

Stu_N

Yep, still a pub. Still a bit strange. Still very Morningside. Probably hasn’t changed in the last 30 years.

I don’t go very often but I’m glad it exists.

fasthaggis

Cheers.
    Looking at the website I thought it had been converted to some kinda gastropub .Loved it back in the day,great students pub with some real characters. 🙂

Garry_Lager

It’s a pub Timmy Mallett would like. Worth stopping off in if you rated it in the past – that part of Edinburgh is desperate for decent alehouses, so it’s not like you’re spoiled for choice.

I’d expect the ale to be purposefully mediocre. Seems like the sort of place to go against the modern trend of serving tasty, interesting ale.

Stu_N

Website? Gastropub? !!

Not unless it’s happened in the last couple of months!

bigjim

it’s my local but I never go there, the outside hasn’t changed recently anyway. Should try eating there some time, if they let riff raff like me in.

kcal
    hels
    Free Member

It was always famous in Edinburgh lore as being the Fawlty Towers of Edinburgh pubs. Refused to let backpackers in, wouldn’t let tourists use the toilets etc. Everyone started speaking Welsh when a stranger walked in.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I don’t particularly get on with it, I find it a bit too up it’s own arse in it’s efforts to not be up it’s own arse. But if you enjoyed it last time you were there it won’t be much different now.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Try Cloisters in Tollcross near the Meadows

fasthaggis

Well that was fun.
    Great day in the auld toon and the Canny Manns was fine.
    They have cleaned it up a lot,but there is still a lot of character.

Next question

Does anyone know what the cycle out to EICA at Ratho is like,is it a safe ( it does go through Sighthill 🙂 ) enough route?
    It’s a long time since I used that part of the canal,but it looks like a great way of getting out there from town.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

It’s a nice cycle

Stu_N

I’ve never had any bother on the canal, though tend only to use it at peak commuting times. It’s got a hard surface most of the way now – there’s a bit that’s still hardpacked dirt between Hermiston and Ratho. Wouldn’t ride it on skinny racing tyres but fine on touring rubber. It’s bone dry at the moment.

When you get to Ratho keep going out the canal for about a mile and there are steps up to the climbing centre from the towpath (there’s a barrier at the bottom of the steps so you really can’t miss it).

fasthaggis

Cheers Stu .

It’s for my son,he climbs a lot and is in Edinburgh for a while.
    Staying in Bruntsfield ,so he got all excited when I told him that the canal goes all the way to EICA.
    Just built him up a pub bike for round town,tyres should be fine.

kcal

Bridge Inn @ Ratho. chips & beer. just saying, like.

DrJ

Many years ago I left my bike outside the Canny Man in order to walk a young lady home. She didn’t invite me in, and when I got back to the pub, my bike had been nicked. Fast forward to today, the young lady is now MrsJ, and she still owes me a bike 🙁

chriswilk
    Free Member

Bridge inn just won best pub in scotland, probably means it’s gone downhill rapidly

Northwind

A few years ago we were responsible for all employees of Bank of Scotland being banned from the Canny Man forever. Good night, that was.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh folk’ is closed to new replies.