• This topic has 55 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by irc.
Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Edinburgh bikers and stop lights
  • ransos
    Free Member

Because they don’t consider that they are law-breakers. Not saying it’s right but that’s the mindset.

I suspect most motorists know it, but simply don’t care.

A majority of motorists think that cyclists shouldn’t use the road at all. Do you honestly think that stopping all RLJing is going to change such entrenched opposition?

As an aside, it’s routine for motorists to RLJ on my commute – at a crossing full of pedestrians heading into town. I despise them for it.

druidh
    Free Member

ransos – Member
    A majority of motorists think that cyclists shouldn’t use the road at all.

You can, of course, back this up with some research? I mean, it’s not just some uninformed opinion – is it?

ransos
    Free Member

I filter through traffic. I don’t get stuck behind it.

Ever been sworn at for (legally) filtering? I have. That’s the level of ignorance and disrespect we’re up against.

drookitmunter
    Free Member

I filter through traffic. I don’t get stuck behind it.

How do you do that safely? I’m talking about the slow (15mph) moving traffic that I get from Cowgate to Haymarket. Not stationary stuff.

cynic-al
    Free Member

druid beat me to it.

What nonsense, why do folk even bother.

bigjim

A majority of motorists think that cyclists shouldn’t use the road at all

Err I doubt that, a small vocal grumpy minority I would say. Don’t get me wrong I think a lot of drivers have a terrible attitude towards cyclists, and I really don’t enjoy commuting on busy roads in Edinburgh any more, but that isn’t a reason to play by different rules for no reason. I see as much bad cycling as driving I think though.

ransos
    Free Member

You can, of course, back this up with some research? I mean, it’s not just some uninformed opinion – is it?

69% of non-cyclists believe that roads are too dangerous to cycle on. We can only speculate as to the reasons why they hold this belief…

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/statistics/releases/2011-british-social-attitudes-survey-attitudes-to-transport/bsa-2011-report.pdf

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ah…quite different to:

A majority of motorists think that cyclists shouldn’t use the road at all.

ransos
    Free Member

Ah…quite different to:

If you think that roads are too dangerous for cyclists to use, then you don’t think that cyclists should use roads.

cynic-al
    Free Member

majotiry of motorists =/= majority of non cyclists.

ransos
    Free Member

majotiry of motorists =/= majority of non cyclists.

69% of respondents overall were motorists.
    31% overall were cyclists.
    69% non-cyclists believe that roads are too dangerous to cycle on.

What do you think the chances are of only a minority of motorists believing roads are too dangerous to cycle on?

cynic-al
    Free Member

“chance” means nothing. Where are your stats?

EDIT: LOL at this quote from that report:

58 per cent of cyclists said that they were very or fairly confident cycling on the roads compared to 20 per cent of non-cyclists.

imnotverygood

http://www.southamptontriclub.co.uk/storage/TRL549.pdf

Have a look at page 8

Kit
    Free Member

Ah, the usual turgid STW “discussion” on rights/wrongs of how to cycle on the roads properly 🙁

Personally, I’m glad that the police are (at least looking like) they’re taking cycling safety seriously in the city. Don’t think RLJ-ing specifically is the issue, to be honest, but generally the attitude of motorists to cyclists.

I’ve had two run ins with drivers in as many weeks, and it’s nothing to do with jumping lights, just a lack of awareness on the part of the drivers that cyclists are incredibly vulnerable. Sadly, cyclists who RLJ are implying to drivers that they are not vulnerable and basically “fair game” on the roads. I think anyway…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

. There is no excuse to jump red lights/

yes there is – when it is safer to do so than to wait. Then I will.

However it is a very minor point. I have no problem with the crackdown in this case.

irc

How do you do that safely? I’m talking about the slow (15mph) moving traffic that I get from Cowgate to Haymarket. Not stationary stuff.

It’s the stationary stuff that holds me up in the city (if I don’t filter). At 15mph I’ll happily sit in the center of my lane moving with the traffic flow.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh bikers and stop lights’ is closed to new replies.