• This topic has 25 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative – Manchester Rusholme
  • mattrgee
    Free Member

Hi all,

Has anyone used this stored and if so, were they any good? I’m thinking of buying a Stumpjumper from them but want to be sure they are a decent company to deal with.

Ta.

Garry_Lager

I’ve bought bikes from their Edinburgh store and they were good. Best chain store I’ve used prob, in terms of their mechanics and exp staff being engaged and helpful (had a frame warranty issue that they were superb with). They employ a few clueless students but I guess most large shops do and you’re obv not going to be speaking to them when buying a bike.

Only thing I’ve bought from the Rusholme store was an inner tube that was punctured in the box! Took it back weeks later when I got it out to use and noticed, and one of their staff replaced it right away which was good of him. From his point of view I was prob making it up.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Another happy Edinburgh customer here. Had the misfortune to buy a Commencal from them, and every time it cracked they replaced and rebuilt it as quick as they could.

I think their Co-Op model means a slightly more interested work force generally. But every branch will be different I guess.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RustySpanner

Another very happy customer.

Bought lots of clothing, spares, luggage and various bits and bobs from them – very knowledgable and friendly staff, can’t do enough to help.

A massive contrast to the independant bike co-op just down the road, which is the second most unfriendly bike shop I’ve ever had the misfortune to set foot in.

sweepy
    Free Member

I got a bike off the Edinburgh branch, good service.

Bregante

I’ve had a couple of road bikes from them. Generally good knowledgeable staff and I’d recommend them.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Edit: Wrong thread

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

LOL! I was wondering WTF?

angryhalfling
    Free Member

Edinburgh aren’t cheap but if u prefer to look your seller in the eye their a large reputable company.

Why are you buying a 29er anyway, 650B will be the only bikes on the planet in 4-5 years time “they say” 🙂

eviljoe
    Free Member

Yup, I rate them. I have made several visits and they have always been very knowledgeable. Last time I was in their mechanic changed a cassette for me for free, and I hadn’t even bought it there!

mmmfergus
    Free Member

I got my last bike from there and have nothing but praise. Gave loads of advice, knew there stuff and sorted out a load of reliability issues afterwards.
    Got a bit of a discount and interest free too.
    I went to a few other places first and they didn’t seem that interested in selling me a £3k bike!? But EBC did and then some.
    Slight disclaimer : Not been there for over a year now after busting my shoulder

mattrgee
    Free Member

Blimey, wasn’t expecting such universal praise. Excellent, will pop along and see what they can offer.

Nice one, cheers.

ChrisL

As with many large stores/chains the quality of individual staff can vary. I’ve had some bad advice on some visits to the main Edinburgh store, but generally I’ve found the Bike Co-Op stores to be friendly and helpful.

stanfree
    Free Member

I’ve bought a road bike and mountain bike from the Embra shop and both times the service has been great. There accesories are fairly pricey but no dearer than Evans etc.

dazh

Another +1. The staff are very friendly and helpful and are quite happy talk bikes to you all day, unlike a certain other chain store in Manchester which shall remain nameless. I had a bit of a dodgy bearing replacement on a spesh epic once but they corrected it straight away when I pointed it out and even stayed late after the shop had shut to fix it.

Davesport

They also price match. I started using them after the sad demise of the BikeChain in Embra. Good range of stuff & helpful staff.

sweepy
    Free Member

The other thing when I bought my bike was, when I went in for the test ride, then thanked the assistant telling him I would order it online that night, he cheerily told me to wait a week for the 15% sale 🙂
    Ive not been given tips like that when I worked in other places

GregMay
    Free Member

Say hi when you pop in…

fasgadh
    Free Member

Another thumbs up for the Brunstfield store. Very helpful.

Superficial
    Free Member

I like EBC, as far as chain bike shops go. I bought a road bike from one of their branches recently. In all the shops I’ve been in, they probably have the most enthusiastic staff who ride regularly.

My only complaint is that they seem to target the left wing hippie “cyclist” one-less-car commuter crowd with their adverts. Which I suppose is where the money is, but it makes me cringe a bit. I’m not a “cyclist”, I just ride bikes. A lot.

deets

They were my go to store when I got back into pedalling many years ago. Mostly good staff and superb mechanics (is Lee still there? – top guy). I spent a lot of money there but they managed to screw up a few times with regard to billing and sending suspension off when they should have, so parted company with them in the end. A shame as I really liked the vibe there, but it has made me much more self sufficient which is a good thing!

RustySpanner

So, seing as we’ve been so nice, any chance of a discount? 😀

mattrgee
    Free Member

So, seing as we’ve been so nice, any chance of a discount?

Plus 1 🙂

ChrisL

Rusty Spanner – Member

So, seing as we’ve been so nice, any chance of a discount?

One disadvantage of it being a relatively large business is that shop floor staff don’t seem to have much discretion on things like pricing.

GregMay
    Free Member

What ChrisL said :/

We’re always happy to give a hand though.

And yes, Lee is still here 🙂

kcal

Regularly pop in when in Edinburgh (used to stay there which helped). Was nice to see the same staff each visit – less so of late, but I guess they move on! Very helpful w.r.t. trying kit on, bought my hybrid bike a decade ago and they moved all the racks and caboodle over without fuss.

Servicing – would always go to the Bicycle Works anyway..

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative – Manchester Rusholme’ is closed to new replies.