Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Edin – Glasgow train – Get bike on?
  • scruff9252

Coming up soon I have a week of getting the 7am Edinburgh train to Glasgow central then return in the evening. It would be quite convenient for either end of the train Journey to use my folding bike.

What’s the chances of getting a folder on 10 trains without issue?

BoardinBob

It’s a very busy train at rush hour, even with a service every 15 minutes, but you should be ok with a folder as long as you get on quickly and get to the bike space and claim your spot

The service from Central rather than Queen St is quieter, though longer, if that makes it any easier.

Queen St station is horrible at rush hour

mashr

Queen St station is horrible at rush hour

It’s horrible even off-peak at the moment

tjagain

I have never had an issue with a normal bike on these trains. the quick train is now huge with plenty of bike spaces and luggage space and of course with a folder its just a piece of luggage.

No issue I would expect. Peak time trains do get busy but even then I have always got my bike on with no issues apart from having to get folk to move their suitcases out of the bike bit

kevin1911

Am I alone in finding that since the leccy trains came along it’s almost impossible to predict where the bike stowage locations are? It seems to be different on every train, and it seems there’s never enough spaces for the number of bikes. It’s probably more of an issue for people (like me) who get on at intermediate stations and have to sprint up and down looking for the right carriage to get on.

tjagain

I think the new trains have one bike space for 2 bikes at the end of each 4 car unit – so they could either be right at the front and back or both in the middle depending what way they are put together to make the 8 car unit.

martinhutch

Northern Rail, for all their sins, have the decent notion of putting easy to see stickers on the outside of the correct door for bikes and wheelchair access.

corrieyairack
    Free Member

Commuted for over a year end to end with a bike and never any issue getting it on. With the intermediate stations it could be problematic from what I saw, but mainly getting people to move so you can get a bike through. I wouldn’t be worried about it, especially a folder which you could stand with if needed.

There are bike stickers on the relevant stock of Scotrail trains and can fit 4 bikes, at a push, in each area.

stanfree
    Free Member

Im a driver with Scotrail and you will have no problem , the trains on the hour are 8 cars and the 7 oclock leaving either Embra or Glasgow isnt actually busy till it hits Falkirk. Just noticed Glasgow central which is about 5 minutes from queen st. Central trains are smaller but id guarantee you would still be fine.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Im a driver with Scotrail

And brave. (there is another thread running) 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Edin – Glasgow train – Get bike on?’ is closed to new replies.