Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • edge 1000 for of road use
  • milkyman
    Free Member

Im looking at buying an edge 1000 of amazon that comes with there maps, I used to use the edge 800 with full O/S maps wasn’t great because the screen res was not great,

does any one know if this will be ok for downloading routes for the lakes or anywhere else for that matter or will I have to buy extra maps for it
    thanks
    craig

njee20
    Free Member

OS are crap, it’s not the screen resolution that’s the problem it’s the map not being a vector image, so as you zoom in it simply gets pixellated. However, the OSM it comes with are very good, and can be supplemented with more detailed versions if you desire. Love my 1000.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Very happy with mine as well.

It is big, mind you, so try and mount it out of the way of potential crashes.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Love mine too. As said the OSM map installed is very good and more than enough for road riding plus routing options also good where it will avoid major roads or make preferences for cycle paths/bridleways whichever you want. It is a lot bigger than the 800 it replaced but I soon got used to the big box out front of the bike.

milkyman
    Free Member

its off road I want it for, fed up of riding my same old routes, I know how to download gpx files just want to make sure before I buy it I can follow an off road route out of my area fairly well

RoterStern
    Free Member

If you are following a route then it is more than enough but I would say if you are navigating on the fly off road the lines on OSM maps are quite hard to see (could also be my failing eye sight) for tracks etc especially in wooded areas. It doesn’t show altitude either which the MTB specific maps do.

whitestone
    Free Member

One problem with OSM maps is the variability in how tracks/BWs/footpaths are recorded, it seems to depend on who added the route to the system. Some have followed the legal status others the physical state of what’s on the ground. It doesn’t help that the symbols used are very similar and hard to make out (probably due to legal issues and having to have the same symbols internationally).

Having said that, I use them for the UK and also have them for Iceland and Finland so not that bad 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

I don’t think the OSM maps are much good for off-road – they don’t always show bridleways and as Whitestone says, they don’t always differentiate between BWs and footpaths. When plotting a route, OSM often won’t let you route along a legal track. Overall, I prefer following a route on 1:50000 OS maps.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘edge 1000 for of road use’ is closed to new replies.