Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Eddy Merckx EMX-3 What's wrong with them?
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

Been thinking of getting a proper road bike for a while, and was considering, well almost everything at one point or another. I looked at Rose, Canyon, Scott CR1, Synapse etc. I’m after something confortable rather than racy.

On Friday I had a brief spin on the EMX – 3 at Evans in Manchester. cheap tat?Didn’t exactly blow me away but then there were no hills and no-one really to rise against/with.

It’s completely shallow, but I’m drawn to it simply because it has 30% discount. The head tube seems quite long so it should be comfortable, but apart from that and the shiny Carob fibre Athena cranks I don’t really know much about it. It weighs 8.3kg with nasty pedals on.

Anyone got any experience of these bikes? Are they any good or just junk that never sells full price and they just flog them off discounted to muppets like me at the end of the year…

cheers

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Quality is as good as any other big brands out there, sorted geom and handling, eddy still rides one so they must be ok!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Could be that they haven’t sold well because a lot of people that go into Evans to buy a bike have never heard of Eddy Merckx, whereas they know specialized and Cannondale ‘cos they’ve seen them around.

fubar
    Free Member

Doesn’t appear to be junk…

I’d guess it’s a fine bike but without magazines giving it 4 out of 5 stars or winning bike of the year many people are going to go straight past it to more recognisable brands.

warton
    Free Member

but apart from that and the shiny Carob fibre Athena cranks

It’s incredible what they can do with Chocolate substitute these days

ashfanman
    Free Member

It’s incredible what they can do with Chocolate substitute these days.

I do hear Athena shifts pretty sweetly.

tonyg2003

Hi Athena Carbon is a good groupset and shifts well. The only annoyance is that the levers rattle when you are pulling on the brakes and the chainset is power torque not ultra torque.

The EM bikes get good reviews the discounting just reflects that they aren’t a well know brand to most buyers. I don’t think for instance they sponsor a tour team and don’t see much advertising for them.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Fairly poor spec, heavy, looks horrid.

maico
    Free Member

In recent times CRC have been selling 2011 EMX-3’s with full Dura Ace and FSA carbon finishing kits for £1475.The size mediums sold out quite quickly. There may be some smalls left.
    I can’t recall ever seeing a NOS carbon bike with Dura Ace under £1500 ?

johnnyt
    Free Member

I have an EMX3 with Campag groupset and Scirocco 35mm wheels, love it to bits.
    It’s a very taught frame and me being a heavyweight muscular build it takes some
    punishment. The only mods if I’m honest have been to fit a Fi’zi’k saddle, other than that I’m extremely impressed
    with it. It also comes with a lifetime warranty on frame and forks. They are rare too, in the 4000 miles I’ve done I’ve
    not noticed another. I think people are scared of branching out from the usual Trek / Cannondale etc

jamesr
    Free Member

The reason the Merckxs can currently be found heavily discounted is that I believe they are currently without a UK importer.
    I’ve owned two EMX 5s, one of which I broke, prompting some exemplary customer service from Merckx in Belgium and Epic Cycles, the shop I bought it from.
    I reported the break on Monday and had a new frame by Friday, all done via email and phone.
    The EMX 3 is a different geometry, but generally, they’re well made – very robust – and well specced.
    I’d go for it.

butterbean
    Free Member

The reason the Merckxs can currently be found heavily discounted is that I believe they are currently without a UK importer

More to do with them being an unpopular brand in the UK.

cynic-al
    Free Member

We sold a few cheaper ones, they are fine.

You don’t need hills or company to test ride a bike. There aren’t generally huge.differences between most road bikes anyway.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Topsport Vlaanderen ride EM bikes and will be doing in Flanders/roubaix in coming weeks. Pretty decent I say.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I look at Boardman bikes and they are lighter and better spec? http://www.boardmanbikes.com Pro spec carbon 7.55kg. Makes merc look heavy.

I have a second hand carbon team. Great bike. Will be buying another. I ignore that they are sold through Halfords.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Eddy Merckx EMX-3 What's wrong with them?’ is closed to new replies.