Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Edd China’s Garage Revival Program Pilot: The Golf GT(I)
  • finishthat
    Free Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaW9Sg5NPyE

Not watched it but worth a go I think.

z1ppy

Far from the worst car program I’ve watched, though why they need to make it contrived is beyond me.

Was surprised no one had mentioned it, but as the search is so shit I couldn’t be sure, and then couldn’t login in via my phone, so didn’t bother posting about it…

Drac

The search is powered by Google.

z1ppy

and yet it’s still shit, which considering google search is ace, I’d suggest the site is source of the issues

P-Jay
    Free Member

I watched it last night, I enjoyed it for the most part.

The big surprise for me was that despite the whole fall-out of Wheelers Dealers was supposedly because Edd wanted to stop the focus shifting away from the ‘working on the cars bit’ what did we see? Edd Drives around in the snow talking to the passenger seat, Edd talks to the guy with the Golf Show, Edd goes to the powder coaters (I think we all know how powder coating works now yeah?) and Edd and car owner peg the roof living in place and drop the engine in with a hoist – only for the bulk of the work to be done by the owner off-screen.

As for the legality, how Edd managed to get it re-registered as an Oettinger S16 I don’t know, they weren’t just a MK2 Golf 16v engine in a Mk1, it’s a different engine (bottom end from the 8v engine and a bespoke 16v head) with a different capacity (based on the early 1.6) but if it works, it works.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I love Wheeler Dealers but I didn’t really like this.  The format has been done before in several different shows that did it better than this one as well.  The sub titled bits were annoying and there was a lack of detail compared to the early Wheeler Dealers shows.  Its all too contrived for me and giving the guy the baby seat at the end was just……

bikebouy
    Free Member

I caught this on YT, for the majority of the programme I was a bit meh about it.. still am TBH but will give the next episode a watch then decide.

franksinatra

Was Ed wearing a short sleeved t shirt over the top of a log sleeved t shirt throughout the whole programme? it seems to be his uniform.

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

@P-Jay I think the Oettinger 16s was for the French market only. There was a mk2 16v Scirocco that wasn’t available in UK. Because it was based on the mk1 golf floorpan they got round the legality that way.

As an aside, I used to have a mk1 golf gti fitted with a 1.8 16v. Great fun.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes, his “signature” look is still evident 🥊

greavo

I really enjoyed it.  I do wish somebody would make a slower paced version though, more in-depth look at the spannering side of things, maybe a version with some of the cut scenes back in. Some people do have more than a 90 second attention span per scene….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Edd China’s Garage Revival Program Pilot: The Golf GT(I)’ is closed to new replies.