Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • EDC Topcap Toolkit
  • alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Had this on my last three bikes, didn’t think to check before buying another 😐

Have 20220 Fox 36s and all good, new bike has 2022 Fox 38s.

Looks the same as they are not oval, friend and one up components says Fox 38 “not compatible”

No reply from One Up, can any body help?

scruff
    Free Member

If its like my ‘Ebike rated’ 36’s the steerer wall is thicker so internal diameter is too small for an EDC.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

If its like my ‘Ebike rated’ 36’s the steerer wall is thicker so internal diameter is too small for an EDC.

Thanks, its a ebike 38. That will be the issue👍🏻

trail_rat
    Free Member

My grinite stash Rx is incompatible with my salsa cutthroat…. I still have one fitted.

Might need to do a dimensional check and make some custom bits.

In my case I have a deepset star nut epoxied in the bottom instead of using the lower fork stopper assembly supplied as my steerer is closed end

BearBack
    Free Member

buy the pump and stick it in there?

simon_g

If you’re looking at the threadless one it has more exacting requirements than the threaded one.

This has the key dimensions for the latter: https://int.oneupcomponents.com/pages/fork-compatibility

Else get the pump, it’s good.

reeksy

+1 for the pump. Don’t strap it to the frame though it gets wrecked by mid and water and the seals need regular replacement.
    Small one fits in a hydration pack.

BoardinBob

Don’t strap it to the frame though it gets wrecked by mid and water and the seals need regular replacement.

Zero issues with my pump mounted to the bottle cage bosses with the EDC tool inside. That’s in the horrendous Scottish conditions. Bit of grease around the toolkit o-ring. Other than that, zero maintenance and no issues over 2+ years of riding in our grim conditions

momo

Same as BoardinBob my pump and tool are both working fine mounted to the bottle cage bosses

diggery
    Free Member

I think the EDC still fits the 38 with the threaded topcap but you need to use the nylon star washer. It’s the threadless insert that OneUp say is not compatible with 38s.

I didn’t want to thread my forks so I have a OneUp threadless carrier on my 38 (non ‘e’) despite OneUp saying not compatible.

I just ovalised the bottom of the carrier with a file, needs 0.2mm taking off front and back and blending in. Fits a treat and allows me to swap my EDC onto other bikes also using the threadless carrier. Maybe if the 38’e’ have a smaller bore and you don’t want to thread then you could tickle the threadless carrier all around?

nixie

The v2 EDC has a smaller capsule than the v1. This is used in the thread less carrier. The shape of the v2 is also different lower down. I would imagine these changes would help it fit in tighter forks.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

I will measure up tomorrow. Hopefully it can work. I hate riding with a camel pack.

Pump looks good but I have a fidlock (?) water bottle as the space for a water bottle is tiny on the ebike. Not sure if the twist lock will work with the pump.

diggery
    Free Member

My V2 EDC cane with a small and a large storage capsule.

It also came with a star washer which is something to do with the fit in the steerer.

I have the pump and a fidlock bottle but not together as my fidlock bike has spare bosses so I printed my own inline pump holder. I’ll give the fidlock a go on my hardtail and let you know.

kiwijohn

There are a lot of people printing alternative mounts for the One Up pump because of their popularity.

reeksy

Zero issues with my pump mounted to the bottle cage bosses with the EDC tool inside. That’s in the horrendous Scottish conditions. Bit of grease around the toolkit o-ring. Other than that, zero maintenance and no issues over 2+ years of riding in our grim conditions

Mine lasted about three years until I lost it. Most of the paint had been blasted away, I’d changed seals three times as it wouldn’t hold pressure and the tools corroded inside the pump. It’s not cold like Scotland but volcanic soils and sand and sub tropical weather aren’t kind on bike gear. Same thing happens to all my wheel and headset bearings.

Don’t have a photo of the pump but this is what the tools looked like.
    IMG-5017

MSP

Small one fits in a hydration pack.

I think the aim for most people with edc tools is getting away from carrying any packs, it was for me anyway.

singlespeedstu

. Not sure if the twist lock will work with the pump.

Got a Fidlock fitted with the EDC pump bracket underneath it.
    Works fine.
    Under The Bridge.

reeksy

I think the aim for most people with edc tools is getting away from carrying any packs, it was for me anyway.

Good point. I meant a hip pack, which is where mine goes now.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

singlespeedstu
    . Not sure if the twist lock will work with the pump.

Got a Fidlock fitted with the EDC pump bracket underneath it.
    Works fine.

Perfect, if the top cap fails the pump will do fine.

BoardinBob

Don’t have a photo of the pump but this is what the tools looked like.

Bloody hell!

Mine still look brand new. I think I’ve had them for at least 4 years and they’ve had loads of use.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Can’t remember how to post pics

The topcap/lock fits inside the steerer until the thread stats. Not cut the thread yet but looks like it will be ok- or not?

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

FBF7BEBE-755F-47D3-AD7A-F0C67F8E9964

winston
    Free Member

For those with bottlecage boss mounted pump, are they not finding that after a few months the pump handle starts to come adrift on rocky descents?  The first time it did it for me i though I hadn’t seated it against the o ring thingy but its done it several times now and the handle beimng metal has scratched my carbon frame. Not ideal and its putting me off the product..

BoardinBob

No, because I have it mounted far enough out from the frame that no part of the pump will ever touch the frame no matter what happens, and the o-ring thing for the pump handle on mine is very tight.

phil5556

@winston – nope, no issues. mine’s been on 2 years and not moved once. The tool inside still looks brand new and the only thing I’ve done to it is lubed the o-ring on the tool carrier insert.

Superficial
    Free Member

The topcap/lock fits inside the steerer until the thread stats. Not cut the thread yet but looks like it will be ok- or not?

The EDC vs 38s thing is reasonably well-documented. AIUI the issue is that you can tap the top section fine, but the steerer is tapered lower down (around the middle of the headtube) meaning the tool can only slide in the first 10cm or so, not the whole way. There’s a different O-ring and shorter extra compartment to make the EDC 38 compatible, but you should be able to do the install and fit it without those bits – it might just rattle more.

winston
    Free Member

I must have been unlucky then – perhaps I’ll contact one-up and try and get another o ring. The down tube is quite fat so when the pump handle wiggles its way off the o-ring, it opens till it gets long enough to bash against the frame. Shame as I love the looks and functionality of the product.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Fits like a glove, if you chopped the wrist bit off.

Had to take the storage part out but never used before so should all be good.

E623D8A0-B470-4317-97F5-E194E9FC0199

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.