EDC Tool – Regret it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • EDC Tool – Regret it?
  • prezet

Just wondering if anyone invested in the EDC tool and regretted it? Thinking about getting one, and all the reviews seem good. Any negatives about the tool at all??

submarined

No, it’s ace. Saved my bacon several times. Packless riding on shortish rides rocks.

tish

As above, love mine.

Premier Icon lightfighter762
    Subscriber

It works well. Love mine.

Onzadog

Got two, no regrets. Have a go with the quick link splitter though, it can be tricky to use if you’ve not practiced before.

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

I almost had a warrant refused by Fox because I’d installed one
    Claim was nothing to do with the steerer
    Common sense prevailed in the end after we’d had the conversation of me going away and cutting the threaded bit off and returning with it.
    Worth thinking about
    Brilliant tool and really handy though.

prezet

@singlespeedstu – thats a little worrying, were they not going to accept it while it had the thread in there?

moose

Very good, one less piece of metalwork in a bag or pocket.

woots787

Mine seems really good. If I could go back in time I think a custom frame bag filled with all the stuff I already own might be more versatile.

SOAP

Had mine over a year now and can be pretty difficult to get out at times.

Onzadog

Had mine over a year now and can be pretty difficult to get out at times.

Maybe try a little silicon grease on the o-ring.

cultsdave

Bit of oil o the o-ring sorts that.
    It really is very good. I swap it between 3 bikes having bought the top cap for each one. Expensive but means I always have it with me.

andyrm

Absolutely chuffed with mine. Can definitely recommend.

Premier Icon teethgrinder
    Subscriber

Brilliant little things.
    Tap available for rent of anyone wants to fit one…

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

were they not going to accept it while it had the thread in there?

Basically yes that was the jist of the conversation.
    I actually took the fork in myself and handed it over the counter. He filled in all the paper work then took the fork off me and removed the paper that i’d put in the top of the steerer with my details on.
    Then told me they couldn’t help me.
    We then had the cutting the steerer down conversation and they did the work anyway.
    Think if i’d just posted the fork it they’de have just sent it back with no work done on it.
    TBF
    It is actually specifically listed in the warranty T’s and C’s.
    Anyone in the West Mids wants to use the threading tool is more than welcome to borrow mine for a couple of beers.

mahalo

if you are worried about warranties Spesh do a similar version that doesn’t need a thread tapping…

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

and is £90!

buenfoxa

No regrets here – awesome little tool – after having one I can’t understand people not having one!

Premier Icon beamishblue
    Subscriber

I have one inside the pump which is attached to my frame. This seems ideal. If you have it in the steerer, do you not still have to carry a pump?

5plusn8

TBH I wondered why the EDC relied on threading, when it could have been a bolt through thing like the specialized one, or even bolt onto a sepecific pacific (sic) depth set star fangled nut. Remember we used to bu stuff like this to tighten up our headsets instead of a star fangled tool? I can t find it but its the same principle as the Spesh one.

cultsdave

do you not still have to carry a pump?

Yes you do, but the pump I have is tiny where as the EDC pump is huge.

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer
    Subscriber

TBH I wondered why the EDC relied on threading

It is simple, light weight, effective and easily adjustable on the trail if necessary. Hard to beat. Only downside is the expense of the whole set up and the possibility for fork warranty hassle though any half decent company wouldn’t try to dodge warranty work unless cutting the thread were the cause of the issue

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer
    Subscriber

the EDC pump is huge

It isn’t skinny but that girth makes it pretty effective. Have to admit I’m such a OneUp fanboi I have the EDC in my steerer AND the small pump with a gas cart inside on my frame

cultsdave

No doubt it works, its just massive.
    Worth noting that a CO2 canister does not fit inside Lyriks, also find the small canisters not big enough for mtb tyres.

the 70cc pump isn’t that massive, its really no bigger than my lezyne mini pump? unless your referring to the 100cc one of course

pobaker

“Worth noting that a CO2 canister does not fit inside Lyriks, also find the small canisters not big enough for mtb tyres.”

Co2 on an EDC tool fits in my Lyriks…

cultsdave

Weird, the CO2 canister definitely does not fit inside my lyriks, 2017 model I think. It does fit in my pikes though. Sure I read somewhere that it doesn’t fit Lyriks but can’t find a link.

scruff

I recently put an EDC in my Marzocchi steerer with some tyre bacon strips in the extra bit and a 100cc pump in my bum bag and one on the gravel commmuter. Great little things, I’ve been caught out a few times of having no tool after stopping using backpacks for most riding.

scruff

Also, you can put things inside the pump, which makes you wonder why no one thought of this before.

Premier Icon Bigmantrials
    Subscriber

I really like mine, I have a 70cc pump and an EDC tool, I have shortened the storage container so that it fits inside the shorter pump, in the container I have a home made tubeless plug kit.

As I have a couple of bikes I wanted to have the tool and pump combo but didn’t fancy the massive 100cc pump, the 70cc pump fits nicely in some of my shorts pockets or doesn’t feel quite so intrusive when I stick it in my SWAT bib pockets.

Onzadog

I’ve got the edc tool in the steerer and a fork cork in the bottom of the steerer. In there I have a small blade for trimming tyre inserts a co2 head by topeak and some plastic notes.

Under the saddle I have a tube and two co2 cartridges in a dry bag held in place with a Louri strap. Then I have a set of Sahmurai SWORDS 2.0 in the handle bars. That’s me sorted. Just chuck a bottle of water in the cage and I’m away for a quick ride.

Note to self, start going out for quick rides

Milkie

I nearly pulled the trigger on of those tools! I found this tool for £16..
    crank multi tool
    It works well and its a nice cheap alternative.

bigmantrials – interested to see some pics or description if possible – that sounds ideal – im gonna get the 70cc pump with tool – then if I could somehow add in a tyre plugger too that would be perfecto!

Anyone make tool kits to fit in the seat tube?
    I was thinking about this when trying to find a permanent dry home for 4 x 18650 Li batteries.

cjr61

Milkie – Like that crank option. Any chance of a link?

Thanks

pobaker

“Weird, the CO2 canister definitely does not fit inside my lyriks, 2017 model I think. It does fit in my pikes though. Sure I read somewhere that it doesn’t fit Lyriks but can’t find a link.”

a quick google says Co2 doesn’t fit the boost. Mine are 2017 non-boost (with a 16g cartridge), so thats probably it.

Milkie

Milkie – Like that crank option. Any chance of a link?

Yup, here it is…. Damn its even cheaper now! £8

Cheap Crank Multitool

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

The EDC is so good, that I even stuff it in my jersey pocket when out on the CX bike (carbon steerer).

cjr61

Wow…good value Milkie. Plus I’m guessing the cheap aspect is the bits, which are replaceable anyway

Thanks

mashr

Milkie

I nearly pulled the trigger on of those tools! I found this tool for £16..

It works well and its a nice cheap alternative.

Have you actually tried it? Worth actually taking it over the different bolts on your bike. e.g. I can’t tighten brakes using mine as it fouls the caliper. Also, the top fell off one I bought

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.