Ed Oxley on new Heckler

Home Forum Bike Forum Ed Oxley on new Heckler

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Ed Oxley on new Heckler
  • Premier Icon teamhurtmore
    Subscriber

I thought he was a fan of the codeine?

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

If your in position to get a new bike that often then why not 🙂

Though I assume he noted in STW fashion that the TT is too short and the angles are soooo outdated 😉

Premier Icon BillOddie
    Subscriber

Worth mentioning he got the bike for free.

iolo

Did he pay for the Codeine?

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Doesn’t everyone?

eyerideit

Isn’t he paid to ‘like’ it? Like he was paid to like On-Ones.

I’d heartily recommend anything I was given for free/paid to do so.

Premier Icon BigDummy
    Subscriber

He does also ride a certain amount. 😉

iolo

People ask me how I can be independent when I review a bike that I’ve been given. Well I can’t claim to be can I? However I’m not going to say that I like something if I don’t, in fact you won’t see me riding something that I don’t like. Basically I don’t do anything that I don’t like doing if I can at all help it! You will just have to decide if you believe me or not. Chin up!

His last paragraph

atlaz

if I can at all help it!

Depends on how much money someone is bunging him I guess 😉

hora

Hes not paid enough (i,e a pro-rider) to lose his own taste/morals so hes probably being honest TBH.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

actually if he didnt pay for it im more inclined to believe him

how many people pay $$$$ for a shiny new bike and then come on here and tell everyone how crap it is?
    no one wants to admit (to themselves or anyone else) that they spent their hard earned on a duffer

iolo

The Heckler has been around a fair few years. I had 2004 and 2007 ones that I absolutely loved.
    I can’t see why this will be any worse.It will only be better.
    I’m not a pro rider and have not been paid to say this.

xiphon

Of course 27.5″ is perfect.

Brings the tail alive, innit 😉

how many people pay $$$$ for a shiny new bike and then come on here and tell everyone how crap it is?
    no one wants to admit (to themselves or anyone else) that they spent their hard earned on a duffer

Exactly – if it was free, you HAVE to praise it. If you paid for it, you wouldn’t give it a crap review either…

iolo

Santa Cruz Heckler 1st week

He seems to like it

I’m sold on the 27.5 wheel size. I liked 29ers until it got very steep and tight and then they were just too big for me at my height. Basically I got bummed with the back wheel! I did love the way they rolled through rocks though and I’m glad that the 27.5s have a similar quality. Enough said on this issue.

This might be my next bike. I had the 2007 one and loved it.

WackoAK

Frame only £1349…

iolo

On that thinking why does Top Gear slate so many cars?
    I’m sure them free fools who present it don’t do it for free.

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

AK37 wrote:

Frame only £1349…

you’ll pick one up in the classifieds for less than half that in 12 months.

Premier Icon Teetosugars
    Subscriber

WackoAK – Member
    Frame only £1349…

So still cheaper than a 5? 😉

iolo

No doubt. Look how many Bronsons have appeared already.
    Plus other 3 month bikes.
    Usually bikes bought in wrong size/skint/wife finds out/whatever.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

WackoAK – Member
    Frame only £1349…

and?
    £150 cheaper than a 5, £250 cheaper than an alpine?

WackoAK

So still cheaper than a 5?

and?
    £150 cheaper than a 5, £250 cheaper than an alpine?

It’s like shooting fish in a barrel 😉

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Same goes for anything, 50% off for no warranty and used. Depreciates from there. Though if nobody buys new bikes then nobody gets used ones cheap.

Premier Icon Teetosugars
    Subscriber

It’s like shooting fish in a barrel

:mrgreen:

Premier Icon mrblobby
    Subscriber

Frame only £1349…

And $1299 in the US (about 770 quid). Stif’s pricing is pretty ridiculous.

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

Though I assume he noted in STW fashion that the TT is too short and the angles are soooo outdated

Looks like they fixed both those things… which is what the Heckler really needed. The wheels are incidental, no?

hora

And $1299 in the US (about 770 quid). Stif’s pricing is pretty ridiculous.

True. Even if they bought them in shops in the US at US RRP and carried them over in suitcases they’d still make profit on their UK retail…

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

$1299 US comes to about £1000 imported with Duty and Taxes without any shipping. Add in distribution, advertising demo and support then it’s a lot closer.

US prices always look much better as they don’t include 20% VAT or any other sales tax

Premier Icon darrenspink
    Subscriber

Good price for a nice bit of kit I reckon.

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

American’s normally pay local sales tax as well, they just tend not to include this in the quoted price, hence all the comparisons being up the spout.

[edit – that was in reply to a, now edited/deleted, post blaming the EU for us paying VAT, implying ‘Mercans don’t]

hora

True, 5%?

Premier Icon mrblobby
    Subscriber

$1299 US comes to about £1000 imported with Duty and Taxes without any shipping. Add in distribution, advertising demo and support then it’s a lot closer.

I’d assume as importer that Stif were getting them for about half that price. It’s still a huge margin when you compare to frames imported by other distributors (e.g. Yeti SB95C, $2999 to £2599.) Was looking at Niner frames not so long ago and was amazed by how much Stif were charging for them compared to US prices. Basically, change the dollar to a pound, then add on a couple of hundred quid.

Having said that frames do seem to be increasingly priced to match similar products in the marketplace. E.g. the heckler slightly under cutting the Five.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

5%? Varies state to state and is added on at the till.
    On the suitcase idea you would still be liable for 5% Import Duty and then 20% on top for VAT. Yuu would also need to cover the cost of flights and bikes up front, carry enough stock to meet supply and deal with any issues in the UK.

I’m sure though most people here could do a much better job for a much tighter margin 🙂

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

True, 5%?

Or more… confusing as hell when you’re over there… it even seems to vary from shop to shop in the same state sometimes, as it’s often wholly or partly optional to pass the tax onto the customer in the final price paid:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States#By_jurisdiction

hora

I’m sure though most people here could do a much better job for a much tighter margin

Or professor farnsworth could use his shrinking machine then you could sneak them onboard in your pocket?… 😉

Premier Icon mrblobby
    Subscriber

I’m sure though most people here could do a much better job for a much tighter margin

If I was the importer then I’d sell them at a price the market dictates. People seem more than willing to fork out the cash for what they perceive to be a boutique brand.

Now where’s the 650B Chameleon, I’m getting impatient 😉

Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

He wasn’t paid to like on-ones 🙂

timc

So he bought the bikes from you then Brant?

Thought so… 🙄

robidoo

Wouldn’t fancy taking a swig from that bottle 😛

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

I expect he is paid to like it butmy riding buddy has one & he loves it & I’m annoyed Coz it’s a size bigger than my super light, has 50mm mire travel and is lighter!

He would like it, it’s free! It was only a few years ago that the Heckler was £899 or something?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Ed Oxley on new Heckler’ is closed to new replies.