Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Ed Balls
  • Northwind

The UK’s certainly outgrowing some competitor economies this year. How many has it outgrown over the last 5? We’re supposed to be excited because our real GDP hit 103% to Germany’s 104 and France’s 101 but that ignores that they both returned to growth in 2010 whereas we returned to growth in 2013. Our stronger current performance is nowhere close to balancing that out.

El-bent
    Free Member

and it has its pain, mostly behind it,

Its behind us! And just like a pantomime, the pain you refer to is yet to be properly felt by the proles until after the next election, according to Gideon.

The UK’s certainly outgrowing some competitor economies this year. How many has it outgrown over the last 5? We’re supposed to be excited because our real GDP hit 103% to Germany’s 104 and France’s 101 but that ignores that they both returned to growth in 2010 whereas we returned to growth in 2013. Our stronger current performance is nowhere close to balancing that out.

Nail. On. Head. We aren’t outgrowing, we are merely catching up.

edward2000
    Free Member

The above two comments are factually incorrect! Look at th UKs GDP figures and since the 2008 financial crisis, the UKs growth turns positive towards the end of 2009

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/gdp-growth
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10613201

Northwind/el-bent can you cite your sources?

Northwind

edward-Mine is from the OECD and uses real GDP measured against 2008. I think yours is nominal GDP? You can use the comparative tool in your link to use like-for-like datasets and it shows the same thing- the UK’s current high growth is offset by our slower growth in the recent past.

Single year trends at work…

edward2000
    Free Member

Interesting, have you got the link?

dannyh
    Free Member

Maybe I’m just immature, but I’ve always thought Balls was a cock. Then re-reading that sentence just makes me snigger.

kelvin

ernie_lynch has said it all for me…

“We’ll stick with austerity, but you can trust us, because we’re people like you, mate.”

No, you are people like them.

dannyh
    Free Member

Just imagine what their growth could have been has they not shackled themselves to basket cases like Greece, Spain and Italy!

Sancho
    Free Member

I dont think it would have mattered which party was in power for the last five years, you cant put a rizla between them when it comes to the economy, that comparison to other countries is pointless as we were more exposed to the banking crash as our economy is more dependent on the sector.
    problem is the country is too london centric, the regions need incentives to attract business from the uk and the world. in my view.

but i cant stand Balls.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Ed Balls’ is closed to new replies.