Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • economy turning the corner?
  • eckinspain
    Free Member

Admittedly the signs I’m seeing are tiny but what with threads on here about people getting interviews after 3 months of nothing, getting jobs (or even two!), a few SOLD signs going up in London as well as surprise (admittedly small) house price rises and rumours of more people in the shops…

..are we seeing the beginning of the end, or perhaps just the end of the beginning?

Harry_the_Spider

Pound is up on the Euro and USD too.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Let’s hope so…

sofatester
    Free Member

House price rises = Strong economy? Are you sure?

Funny how quickly people forget; it used to take a generation or so. Now it seems a few months and a couple of football matches do the trick 😆

odannyboy
    Free Member

great i expect to see bikes and bike parts prices rocketing back down soon then….yeah right.

Pigface
    Free Member

Oil going up fast as well as Stock Markets

Harry_the_Spider

Not strong. But the £ seems to have pulled out of the dive that we saw towards the end of last year and is inching back.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I’m not sure that all the economy really took a dip.

I work for a rather large high street purveyor of posh ready meals and knickers and since Christmas we’ve had out busiest period of sales in 6 years.

Normally we’d be thinning out the agency staff around this time of year but we’re actually struggling to get enough good staff in to cope with the workload.

Of course because the bankers have had their bonuses dropped/cut the world must be about to end…..

eckinspain
    Free Member

sooty, that’s because you’ve been giving it all away for a penny!

sootyandjim
    Free Member

sooty, that’s because you’ve been giving it all away for a penny!

Not quite the lions share of our throughput (or anywhere near significant in volume sold to be honest) but those products did prove popular.

GrahamS

Of course because the bankers have had their bonuses dropped/cut the world must be about to end…..

I’m not sure that the 2.2 million unemployed are all bankers. 🙄

bowglie

Funny how quickly people forget; it used to take a generation or so. Now it seems a few months and a couple of football matches do the trick

nice one 😆

maybe it’s all the lard & booze affecting peoples memory? 😉

(just seen on the news about kids getting injured by their boozy parents bouncing on trampolines (conjours up some classy images))

kimbers

so lets get this straight just as hes about to be fired it turns out brown saved our economy after all!?
    the broon haterz on here wont like that

i dont think this is an end to recession, just a slight rebound after the initial crash and panic among the stock markets, oil, pound etc
    unemployment is still high and browns tactic of keeping interest rates low and printing more money has kept an awful lot of people from defaulting on mortgage payments and i suspect businesses from defaulting on loan repayments too
    but rates will have to rise again..
    …..causing house prices to fall quite a bit more as people are forced to downsize and those way out of their depth are repossessed
    i guess the logic behind this is to keep peoples bills down so they dont run up huge debts again but keep them spending just enough to help the retail economy while things get better
    public services cuts and public sector job losses are inevitable as the torries enter power and this will make things harder on the system, as long as they make sure that the money goes onto the national debt thing will get better as confidence in our financial system improves so ireckon 3-5 years before we see a proper recovery, unless you work in manufacturing in which case you are generally fuct

these are just my opinions i am neither an economist or a political scientist and i personally want house prices to fall another 20-30 % so i can buy a house that i think is value for money

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It seems to me that the one thing they want to avoid is the cyclical effect of: job-losses -> repossessions -> drive down the value of property held against debts -> neg equity -> causing banks to clam up on credit -> more job-losses, and so on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘economy turning the corner?’ is closed to new replies.