Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Eco logs
  • hammy7272
    Free Member

Hi

What are the thoughts on these so called eco logs over natural logs for a wood burner?

I’m thinking of giving them a go. Any recommendations please?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

More info needed.

benpinnick

Eco logs are fine, but if you use the burner for more than just looking at they’re mighty expensive when you compare to how much wood you’d get for the same money. They do gram for gram throw off more heat and burn well, but you’re paying for the privilege. We use our burner as primary heating and I think they’d bankrupt me but for someone who wants less mess and low fuss they’re probably a good option.

Drac

They work very well but yes an expensive way to fuel your house. During summer months you sometimes see deals so worth getting some then if you like them.

Hotmax or Lekto are pretty good.

nostoc
    Free Member

The benefit or not depends on how much you have to pay for natural logs and how dry they are

brads
    Free Member

Too expensive . They work fine but not for proper heating purposes as they work out too dear.

Cheapest in the long run is a chainsaw and a transit.

hammy7272
    Free Member

Great, thanks. That’s what I was looking for. Not used for heating the house just really to take the chill off the front room on cold nights.

We don’t use it much.

djflexure

We have used blazers for a few years
    They burn hotter than a lot of wood
    Just over 300 for a pallet which gets us through the winter

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cheapest in the long run is a chainsaw and a transit.

Depends what value you put on your time, I used to cut and chop wood, I just don’t have the time any more, get mine delivered. Have chainsaws and a van as well!.

NewRetroTom

Should there be a ban on use of terms such as “Eco” “Green” etc. for anything that involves releasing CO2 into the atmosphere?

gooner69

Wood is Co2 Neutral.
    It only releases what it has absorbed growing.

Mintyjim

timely thread. Yesterday I picked up a builders bag’s worth – smaller builder’s bag so .75 x .75 x .75 – of locally produced eco logs for £60. It’s shavings etc. from their joinery business.

Probably weighed about 220kg.

So far I’m pretty happy. Should last us the winter with a fire every other day. I only cut our wood this summer so my logs won’t be ready until next winter.

Very easy to light. Burn nice and hot. Don’t prod them!

We have an efficient 5kw stove, an Esse 1 SE wood stove, in a relatively tight aperture and a fan on top.

It heats our biggish living room lovely, just as good as my seasoned wood.

I gave my mum some but she wasn’t impressed. She has an older stove in large inglenook which might explain her disappointment?

We had to experiment with the venting but found a sweet spot.

Biggest draw back is that you have to store them inside. I have a heated workshop and office under our house so it’s easily accessible and dry so we’re ok.

At £60 we’re laughing!

intheborders
    Free Member

Great, thanks. That’s what I was looking for. Not used for heating the house just really to take the chill off the front room on cold nights.

Turn up the central heating?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Eco logs’ is closed to new replies.