Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Eco fans for wood burners – first impressions
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I bought one of the fifty quid jobs from amazon, with the thought in mind that I’d probably be utilising the distance selling regs and sending it back as I reckoned it either wouldn’t fit in the space above my stove, and I’m a bit skeptical too.

Very, very impressed! (Yes, it fits – just) the difference is quite incredible, from the point of view of how quickly the room heats. I can’t say if it will be any warmer or not, as it’s only been on an hour, time will tell with that one. I’m in an old house with pretty high ceilings, so it makes sense that the stove had to fill that space first before the heat comes down to sofa level, not any more though.

I don’t think it’ll be going back.

Edit – it’s silent too!.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Youll notice the difference when you open the door …. Heat moves round the house much quicker

WillH

Do you need to have a ‘solid’ top to your wood burner, i.e. a thick cast-iron top or similar? We have one of these:

which has a grille top which sits about 2″ above the top of the fire box. I’m guessing it’s to keep the surface temp down a bit (although that would perhaps defeat the object slightly…). Anyway, this grille gets just about too hot to touch, but I’ve never measured the temp. Would an eco-fan work with this type of wood burner?

Also, it’s almost summer in this neck of the woods so it’ll be six months before we use it next, so can’t check operating temp for a while…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

‘Almost too hot to touch’

Mine would have the skin off your fingers if you touched it!. Possibly answers your question.

PePPeR

I’ve got a similar question, my fire is a backboiler so never gets hot enough to boil a kettle, anyone run one of these eco fans on this type of stove?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If it’s not hot enough to boil a kettle, I’d say don’t bother. Someone may have tried it though.

Stoner
    Free Member

WillH – I dont think it would work on yours.

The fan base conducts heat to the lower face of the Peltier device. Your grill will be too insulated from the ehat source to conduct sufficient heat to maintain a high enough current through the fan motor.

A colleague has a fan that he bought for one of his two stoves. Before he installed the second stove (with a proper metal plate top) he tried it on his other stove that has large sandstone heat-sink slabs on the top and whilst the fan ran, the RPM was quite low because of the lower heat transfer. With low RPM, the draw of cooler air through the upper heat sink fins of the fan body is less and so the heat differential across the two faces of the peltier is lower, his leads to the current dropping and obviously the fan slowing down further, meaning that you get into a cycle of lower fan performance until it barely turns.

Santa Claus is on a three-line-whip to bring me one of the cheap chinese ones this year.

trail_rat
    Free Member

the top plate of mine maxes out my infra red thermometor – it does to 225deg F

boil a kettle – pah

we had a power cut for 2 days last week – cue stove top chili.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

my fire is a backboiler so never gets hot enough to boil a kettle,

15kw backboiler feeding the CH, two hot plates and an oven, one of the hot plates gets plenty hot enough to boil a kettle (about as quick as the 1.5kw rings on our cooker)

maybe you just need to use more fuel?

trail_rat
    Free Member

mrmonkfinger – what is that and is it availible without a back boiler?

sandwicheater

Have been looking at these for ages but I’d feared our insulated top plate would be a hindrance.

Do love our Scan Anderson but a little annoyed can’t boil a kettle on it.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

tr

its a la nordica termosuprema – they (la nordica) do several similar kitchen ranges without backboilers http://www.lanordica-extraflame.com

I believe broseley sell them in this country – not sure if they do the whole range.

as wood fired ranges go, its quite good, build quality is excellent and the stat moderates the fire quite well (at least, when fed nice dry wood)

ourmaninthenorth

We don;t have a chimney breast, so stove is “freestanding” in sitting room. Anyone else have this set up and get an improvement from a stove fan?

kcal

Will have to dig out a picture of ours in operation sometime.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

We don;t have a chimney breast, so stove is “freestanding” in sitting room. Anyone else have this set up and get an improvement from a stove fan?

Should have the same advantages as an inset stove, all it’s doing is distributing warm air more evenly?.

househusband

We don’t have a chimney breast, so stove is “freestanding” in sitting room. Anyone else have this set up and get an improvement from a stove fan?

Yup – got the same fan as Nobeerinthefridge several weeks ago!

It has made a tremendous difference to circulation with the loving room in which it is situated and the house as a whole. Project Management commented on the difference it made as soon as she walked in the living room the day it arrived – and she is, erm, ‘skeptical’ at the best of times…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Cheers mrmonkfinger – will have a look . Got a chimney breast in the kitchen- stove is going in without question …. Something a decent height we can cook on when its lit would be a bonus. We get frequent power cuts opup here – not often as long as last weeks mind you.

Omitn – look at the ecofan website – there is a simulataion model of how it distributes air better on there .

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Project Management

AKA the ‘Fun Sheriff’ 😀

cloudnine
    Free Member

What fan did the OP buy?? Is there much difference between the £50 ones?

househusband

AKA the ‘Fun Sheriff’ 😀

AKA ‘Mission Control’

One of these days I am going to get matching t-shirts printed;

Hers; CONTROL FREAK

&

Mine; CONTROLLED FREAK

househusband

What fan did the OP buy?? Is there much difference between the £50 ones?

I bought this one, which I suspect is much the same as the OP’s.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Ive been meaning to buy one for ages but only 20cm clearance above my stove

ourmaninthenorth

Cool. Heads of to the online shopping mall…..

trail_rat
    Free Member

Pedant : andrew that wouldnt be matching 😉

PePPeR

Can’t fuel it any more than it already is, 😀

The problem is it has has a saddle design so the top of the stove always has running water through it, with 9 radiators and a massive hot water tank to heat, it isn’t going to get hot enough.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Cheers mrmonkfinger – will have a look . Got a chimney breast in the kitchen- stove is going in without question …. Something a decent height we can cook on when its lit would be a bonus. We get frequent power cuts opup here – not often as long as last weeks mind you

no worries. ours is standard worksurface height & depth, about 1m wide. its linked to pumped CH – so we can’t really run it full blast for very long if the power is off. Although we can raise the firebed (less energy to water) and redirect the gasses preferentially toward the oven (even less energy to water) that still results in the CH getting fed heat every so often.

The problem is it has has a saddle design so the top of the stove always has running water through i

Ah.

miketually
    Free Member

It has made a tremendous difference to circulation with the loving room in which it is situated and the house as a whole.

You’ve got a specific room for that?

dharmstrong
    Free Member

Ive been meaning to buy one for ages but only 20cm clearance above my stove

Same issue, can’t find one that will fit sadly.

Yak

this will fit:

Home

v expensive though

Yak

I’ve not got one of those, but borrowed one for a bit and it worked well enough. Not compared it to an ecofan type one though.

dharmstrong
    Free Member

Did look at that but worried about the max temp recommendation of 200 deg C for the stove top. Seems a bit low compared to what temps the flue gets to

trail_rat
    Free Member

My flue gets to 350 before the fan even kicks in…..

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Eco fans for wood burners – first impressions’ is closed to new replies.