Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • “Eco” coal that burns hot – is there such a thing ?
  • darkroomtim
    Free Member

So I usually burn “the good stuff” i.e. std black coal in the multi-fuel stove – and once it gets going you have to throttle it back otherwise the room gets way too hot. But in a bid to be more greener I’ve tried some of the eco coal – but they just don’t really produce that much heat – never have to throttle back – I’d say probably get <50% of heat compared with proper coal. So, is there such a thing as eco coal that actually burns properly hot?

NewRetroTom

What actually is the “Eco” coal? Is it coal?

darkroomtim
    Free Member

Ah yes good point – I’ve tried smokeless, and some blended “coal” which is half smokeless / half some other renewable stuff

paul0
    Free Member

Stuff like this probably? Mixture of coal and ‘renewable materials’…. I had assumed this was wood, but just looked at the COSHH sheet and it’s actually Olive Stone and Molasses!!.

Blurb says it burns hotter, and that’s my experience from using it in an open fire, as long as you put enough in (small fire doesn’t seem to work very well, just burns very slowly)

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Homefire-Ecoal-50-10-kg/p/151160?utm_source=google&scid=scplp151160&sc_intid=151160&ds_rl=1255408&ds_rl=1255411&ds_rl=1256312&gclid=Cj0KCQiAq97uBRCwARIsADTziyY4eBH_h674pkSlsvZUdCo4LVfkzFUkmu5Auokkxt3gl–yDCsKVCgaAnnGEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

ElShalimo

Just burn less standard coal?

darkroomtim
    Free Member

@paulo – yeah that’s the stuff and although it does say burns hotter deffo doesn’t seem to work for me – in a closed Morso burner

@ElShalimo
    – yeah a good point – but I guess burning less bad stuff is still worse than burning more of the good stuff? hmm..not sure.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Anything the human race comes up with has nothing to do with eco, mostly a case of the lesser of two weavils.
    Eco Coal🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂 you could make it burn hotter by soaking it in Eco Petrol.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Eco coal has to be charcoal or is this a trick question?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Partially burnt wood transported for hundreds of miles by truck. Very eco.

Drac

Which Morso and what vents do you have open?

Is that a serious answer.

molgrips
    Free Member

Partially burnt wood transported for hundreds of miles by truck. Very eco.

As opposed to actual coal that comes from.. Russia?

Where my Dad’s family live you (recently) used to be able to get anthracite from the Tower colliery, people were part paid in it then they would sell it on. Closed now tho.

5thElefant
    Free Member

As opposed to actual coal that comes from.. Russia?

This. Or make your own.

Dickyboy

When are people going to wake up to the reality that burning stuff still produces CO2 whether it was captured recently or millions of years ago, oh and smokeless coal plants are the most foul smelling places in the UK btw

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘“Eco” coal that burns hot – is there such a thing ?’ is closed to new replies.