Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Eccentric Bottom Brackets…?
  • IvanDobski

How do these work then?

I understand you twist them to tension the chain when used with a singlespeed set-up but do the EBB fittings come out so you can build a geared frame or is it a case of leaving them untwisted?

Do you need to run a particular type of BB or can you use normal ones? I'm assuming that the BB shell is bigger on an EBB setup to account for the extra gubbinses if a normal one will work?

Cheers!

EBB, the neatest solution to singlespeed chain tensioning in my ever-so-humble opinion.

You generally use a 'normal' sized bottom bracket within the EBB and if running gears you can position it where it feels right. If you are someone who rides SS in the winter then gears in the summer then the 'right' position to put the EBB in is probably the same place as it is when used for SS, so that your positioning on the bike doesn't change.

Saccades

Look in my post history, there are pictures of an EBB bike, inc the BB area, which is indeed bigger.

I'm just running a normal HT1 BB and crank on it and currently an alfine (which can fit in the geared dropouts with no bother), excellent minimum effort bike.

mike_p

EBB, the neatest solution to singlespeed chain tensioning in my ever-so-humble opinion.

Mine too. Elegant, even. I bought a Dialled Love/Hate simply because it had an EBB.

I really do have an almost irrational hatred for the crudeness of sliding dropouts. And as for chain tensioners, grrrr…

IN contrast to the above I really don't like them. They either slip or creak in my experience. But each to their own

ir_bandito

I've got a Thorn Raven with a Rohloff and EBB. Just about to put a Hope External BB in it.
    No probs with the square taper in it so far…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Eccentric Bottom Brackets…?’ is closed to new replies.