Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • eBoostr – worth it on my laptop?
  • mk1fan
    Free Member

Got an HP laptop with a SSD and 4gb ram installed. It runs 32-bit Win 7 and is reasonably fast. But am going to start using it for CAD shortly so a bit more speed would be handy.

Noticed in my inept research into things that eBoostr claims to utilize any unused RAM that Windows doesn’t.

Anyone, use it? Is it worth the purchase? Anyone look into it and reject it? Anyone use an alternative?

Not sure Readyboost via the SD slot will be of benefit.

rickmeister

I’m using Speedboost via a memory stick and a USB and feel it does make a difference…

For the cost, if you have a spare memory stick, give it a try…

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I never found any benefit to readyboost or any software that claimed to speed up my pc.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

32 bit windows cannot address more that 4gb – graphics of RAM AFAIK. Ready to be proved wrong though

gwj72
    Free Member

Waste of time and money. Windows 7 already has pretty sophisticated memory management and already uses unused RAM to cache disk files.

32bit windows won’t even make use of the whole 4gb in there for programs.

Readyboost can show a small increase if your are running 1gb-ish of ram. From then it makes no difference. An SSD would make a diffence (assuming you’re bios supports faster sata modes). An upgrade to 64bit windows and increase ram to 8gb (or beyond) would make a difference.

You’re not intending to do rendering are you? If you are I’d knock the laptop on the head as a non-starter. Fine for design stuff that’s not too complex though.

Cougar

Look at it this way.

Who is likely to know more about Windows memory management?

a) Microsoft, who have been developing and refining Windows for a quarter of a century, or

b) eBoostr, who have, er, wait, who?

This sort of product crops up regularly enough, and I’ve yet to find one that isn’t snake oil. There’s a free trial though, so you could always give it a go and see for yourself.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Cheers.

molgrips
    Free Member

I used readyboost on a 2GB Atom pc with a slow hd. Cunningly I used an sd card in each of the card slots, slowing parallel access.. Helped slightly…

jambourgie
    Free Member

Slightly off-topic, but how does the 64bit thing apply to 32bit progs.

I’ve got W7 64bit installed, and lots of 32bit programs (in the x86 folder) can they only use 4gig of ram?

Cougar

The apps can only address 4Gb, though they’ll typically be offered 2Gb by the OS. Just that on an x64 machine they can be different 2Gb’s, so you can run more of them.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘eBoostr – worth it on my laptop?’ is closed to new replies.