Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Ebike warranty questions
  • TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Ebikerists! I get that Shimano and Bosch both have 2 year warranty cover on the motor units, and that there is a 500 (Bosch) and 1000 (Shimano) charge cycle stipulation too, but what is the experience of users actually having to use the warranty?

Which unit is the more reliable?

Do you have to return to the shop that sold it, or should any Bosch or Shimano dealer be able to process the claim for you?

I am aware that there will be level of bias in answers here, so if also be keen to hear from people who report that they’ve had no issues.

An Ebike is quite a chunk of cash, and no dealer will tell you horror stories about their own product, but I’d prefer to buy into a robust and well supported system that will be good to go for the next few years.

sharkattack

2 year warranty on something so expensive doesn’t seem long enough to me. Have you seen the price list for e-bike components like motors, head units and batteries? It’s eye watering stuff.

I’d go straight to Specialized if I was looking . Their warranty process has always been better than most. Not sure how that carries over to the e-bikes but at least it’s all their own hardware.

Plus they’re probably the best complete package out there anyway. I spent a day on the new one a few weeks ago and I’ve been day dreaming about it ever since.

highpeakrider
    Free Member

Have you seen the issues with the new Levo?

noisy motors. Leaves and crap getting into the motor housing.

They are working on a foam fix to stop crap getting in, I’d stay well away from the Levo.

geex
    Free Member

truth is no motor is truely reliable… they’re susceptible to wear and tear the same as anything… and if a bearing goes within warranty it’s going to need to be replaced by an authorised service centre.
    your warranty is with the shop you purchase from and as such choose wisely.

Just buy the bike you want and stop fretting.

FWIW I had my first motor replaced under warranty after only 3 months use. But I’m not you.

bruneep

just wondering, was that a legit warranty claim? Asking for a friend

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My mate has his motor replaced under warranty, a kenovo. Stick lodged itself up inside motor vent, burnt out motor. Spesh replaced under warranty no issues.

Feelings from lbs who sell *A lot* of ebikes is that brands are warrantying everything no probs to allay folks fears and attract buyers.

chvck
    Free Member

I’ve had a few warranty claims on my levo. I’m on my third or fourth battery and second or third motor. It’s been behaving for a while now though. I had to use a different shop to where I bought from, they were a specialized dealer though. As they weren’t where I bought from they charged me labour but not parts.

escrs
    Free Member

Most important thing about buying an E-bike is picking the right dealer

All e-bike brands have had some issues with batteries and motors, not everyone experiences it but it does happen

Ive heard horror stories of dealers not having a clue and taking over a month to sort the issue out

I personally was told my motor would have to be removed and returned to Bosch to see what the issue was, this was worrying as my bike was a 2017 Specialized Levo with a Brose motor!!!! i said no thanks and walked back out with my bike

There are also dealers who carry stock of motors and batteries and will replace your motor/battery the same day, Chris Reilly @ Berkshire Cycles is well known in the E-bike world, i went to him after the incident above and he replaced my motor the same day, i had to pay the labour charges as i didn’t buy the bike from him (£40)

Now have a 2018 Kenevo from him and wouldn’t use any other dealer,

He stocks other brands of E-bikes and is the cheapest around (i saved 1k on my Kenevo!) he also has people who drive 6 hour round trips to use him for warranty issues as they just don’t trust dealers near them

He’s not allowed to advertise his prices so you have to phone or call in at the shop, they are very customer service based

Another good thing to do is once you have decided on what bike you want then join that bikes Facebook page and ask any questions you have and ask about good dealers near you

singlespeedstu

There are also dealers who carry stock of motors and batteries and will replace your motor/battery the same day

Raceco Cycles in Stourbridge are good for this.

I’ve had a couple of little problems with my Kenevo and they’ve both been sorted while I waited.

wwaswas

2 year warranty on something so expensive doesn’t seem long enough to me

People are quite happy to accept that on a new car costing literally 10x as much?

chevychase

Motorbikes being expensive to maintain and service shocker.

*runs*

cynic-al
    Free Member

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Overpriced</span> Motorbikes <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>for fatties</span> being expensive to maintain and service shocker.

*runs faster*

winston
    Free Member

I reckon that with the high initial cost, inherent unreliability of electrics and abuse, pathetic warranty, patchy service, limited range and usage, high depreciation yet undeniable fun factor it makes no sense to buy one but a great idea to rent at trail centers, alps etc

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I reckon that with the high initial cost, inherent unreliability of electrics and abuse, pathetic warranty, patchy service, limited range and usage, high depreciation yet undeniable fun factor it makes no sense to buy one but a great idea to rent at trail centers, alps etc

You could say that about a hell of a lot on non ebikes tbh.

Denis99
    Free Member

It’s difficult to know where to begin on this topic.

it seems as though all the ebike mid motors have issues, I would say that they are not manufactured or designed for real trail or off-road use.

Bikes have become increasingly more complex, with front and rear suspension, dropper posts, frame pivots.

Bottom brackets have always been considered a consumable, placing the motor in this area is bound to be a problem.

Water gets into this area , easy with a conventional bb, Hope and CK make good serviceable units well within the grasp of most riders.

I like ebikes, this isn’t meant to be anti ebike. I am just anti the unfinished design and fit for purpose.

Given the warranty is there for the new buyer, it should be a last resort, however, the warranty seems to be increasingly used.

Once the warranty period is over, well motor rebuilds are another big expense, plus the battery losing its efficiency.

I gave up after 3 different Bosch powered bikes, all went wrong. There is a chap on YouTube who has started up rebuilding Bosch, Yamaha motors, he has some videos posted showing and explaining.

Believe he is 1200Pete, worth a look.

geex
    Free Member

just wondering, was that a legit warranty claim? Asking for a friend

All the other far better faster motors either crashed or were already damaged and out of the running. But it’s mine now and no one can ever take my replacement motor off me.

😉

geex
    Free Member

*runs faster*

Do keep going.

cynic-al
    Free Member

chill out dude!

geex
    Free Member

Due to being extremely overweight and unfit I don’t have the energy for any other state.

Be a dear and pass the doughnuts, eh?

damascus
    Free Member

I don’t have an e bike but I’ve had a go on other people’s bikes and I’ve enjoyed riding them, I’m not an e bike hater, honest.

Just wondering, do ebikes have a max weight limit? Is there a link between weight of rider and motor breaking down? Or is it down to the type of riding?

I’m only guessing here but do they last longer in places like york where its flat rather than hilly places?

Do road ebike motors last longer on the road than off road?

A couple of riders I know have all had motor issues but they’ve been replaced under warranty with no issues at all. They’ve all sold them when the warranty runs out and bought new bikes.

matt_outandabout

Can I ask about sealing on motors and electrics on these things. Am I right to presume they are sealed and therefore fine in Scottish winter rain, slop and streams that we call trails?

timbog160

Sealed to a point but unless you’re very lucky my experience is that sooner or later you’ll have a problem, even if it’s just noisy bearings.  This is why you should buy from a good local shop.  Got mine from Earnshaws in Huddersfield – took it in for first year service – ooh motors a bit noisy we’ll pop you a new one in – no hassle no cost just sorted.

timbog160

I also think that by making everything a sealed unit the manufacturers have made a rod for their own backs – bearings wearing out is a fact of life – if it was as easy to change a motor bearing as a suspension bearing you’d just do it once a year and get on with it.

I always thought electric motors themselves were inherently very reliable – fewer moving parts not a lot to go wrong etc?

Denis99
    Free Member

Look at the link, it’s the lack of sealing on the bearings that is the issue.

doomanic

I bought my ebike in December. After 4 months and 300ish miles of FoD slop the bearings failed. I’d bought fairly locally and warranty was a breeze. They also did the frame bearings, rear wheel bearings and freehub without being asked as they said they sounded a little rough. A good dealer is of paramount importance.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

The most “attractive” prices are from distance sellers over the web. I am in Central Scotland. Rutland and Freeborn are 350-500 miles away. I am going to need to put in some legwork to visit local dealers and discuss price/availability. I guess it comes down to how much of a saving is worth the risk/potential hassle…

Post warranty, i’d be happy to tackle the bearing job, although I’d rather not have to. Over time, it is inevitable.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Ebike warranty questions’ is closed to new replies.