• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by tthew.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • need a good ebike chain lube….
  • jeb

So I got 2 commuter bikes, one 25 km and a 45 km… I tried Dymamics ebike specific chain oil … way to messy… Danish climate can be wet… and salty roads!

tjagain

Hot melt wax as ever. I use putoline

jeb

thanx….. but I will stick to real oil 🙂

edward2000
    Free Member

Putoline also

5lab

why would ebike oil be any different to regular lube? just get finish line in green or red (depending on prevailing conditions) if you don’t want plutoline

oceanskipper

*whistles the Putoline song… (again!)

or another brand of wax but wax for sure. Makes the drivetrain last ages and ages… I rotate two sets of wheels and 2 chains and I’ve done about 4000 miles without changing anything… YMMV of course!

davosaurusrex
    windyg
    Free Member

Squirt do wax chainlube for E bikes now

tjagain

Im getting over a thousand miles nearer two between putoline sessions. Chain has not been touched since Cardiff and i am in france.

mjsmke

What’s the difference between normal lube and ebike lube?

hatter

I use the Finishline E-bike stuff, it seems to be a fair bit more durable than the standard dry lubes but not quite as much of a shite magnet as the wet stuff.

Good all rounder basically.

What’s the difference between normal lube and ebike lube

Well, according to Finishline, they’ve added stuff to it to make it harder for the higher sustained torque of E-bike use to push the lube out from between the pins and rollers. Seems to work but its not as if I’ve tested it scientifically.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

E-bike specific chain lube is just marketing rubbish imo. Are the top athletes running ebike lube? I suspect they’re stronger than the average ebike rider including the motors.

Oh and to answer the question, Putoline!

singlespeedstu

What’s the difference between normal lube and ebike lube?

About a tenner.
    I use the same lube on my eeber as all the rest of my bikes.

redthunder
    Free Member

3in1
    Any sewing machine oil.
    22 years on all types of bikes with no worries.

🙂

tthew

E-bike specific chain lube is just marketing rubbish imo.

There are definitely EP, (extreme pressure) additives that could be added or increased so there’s actually something beyond just putting an e-bike sticker on the bottle. Might increase the retention at peak motor loads, hatter seems to have genuine +ve experience.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.