Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • EBike Batteries – Lifespan Experiences
  • GeForceJunky

In our house with have 3x ebikes, all with the same Shimano 504w E8010 batteries, the oldest of which is now 4 years old. I’ve always tried to look after the batteries, store them at mid charge, somewhere not too hot, only fully charge when required etc. The current stats, taken from the STUnlocker app:

Battery 1: 2018 (4 years) – 79% health, 200 cycles (oldest, has done a range of use)
    Battery 2: 2019 (3 years) – 79% health, 129 cycles (SH so unknown conditions for first 2 years, now used for daily commuting so regularly 100% charged)
    Battery 3: 2019 (3 years) – 98% health, 40 cycles (Misses bike – low use but always 100% charged when used)
    Battery 4: 2020 (2 years) – 87% health, 29 cycles (Saved for longer rides)

The lowest health 2 batteries are noticeably shorter range and really don’t like the cold weather, but for most rides still perfectly useable. The most recent that has already dropped to 87% health was included with a SH bike I purchased, but was ‘new’, so I wonder if this had been sat on a shop shelf for many years, this is a little disappointing as it’s the battery I use the least and have been saving for only the big rides. Maybe lack of use has damaged the battery more than using it would have?

Does anybody else have any battery wear statistics? Has anybody ever replaced a battery purely because the range was getting too short? Shimano reckons the E8010 should be good for 60% capacity after 1000 charging cycles, if anybody ever gets that far!

gazzab1955

ah “battery anxiety” a real, but very 1st World problem 🙂

b33k34

Less than 80% health after 200 cycles would be very poor for a phone or laptop battery.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

My e8010 shows 80% after 48 cycles, 18 months old. Shimano updated the firmware and it now shows 90% (!?), although range seems similar.

My OH bought an Shimano ebike recently and I tried her new battery and was quite shocked at the difference in range!

ST Unlocked just reads a parameter from the firmware.

Shimano used to guarantee > 80% range after 500 cycles, but all mention of that has been removed from their website. SOmeone captured a screenshot of it before it disappeared though.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

New battery warranty only guarantees 60% after 1000 cycles…

https://www.shimano-steps.com/e-bikes/united-kingdom/en/faq

How fast will battery capacity decrease?
    As with every modern battery, capacity will decrease due to charging. Shimano guarantees a remaining battery capacity of 60% after 1000 charge cycles. Your dealer can determine the remaining battery capacity for you.

footflaps

As with every modern battery, capacity will decrease due to charging

It’s mainly to do with the charged voltage they set. Tesla are quite conservative with how they charge their Li-ion cells which means they get excellent longevity – but that is at the expense of charge per cell stored.

Cheaper systems tend to charge the cells close to the max for Li-ion chemistry which significantly decreases the lifespan of the cells.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.