Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • EBB vs. Sliding Dropouts: Views please
  • Farticus

Time to fully spec a custom build. I want to be able to run gears, SS (most used) and hub gears (so Rohloff dropout). So the chain tensioning duties are a choice between a Phil Wood EBB and PMW sliders.

I’ve had no trouble with the sliders on my Konas (after I got the ones with the built-in bolt tensioners) and am far too unskilled a rider to notice small handling changes caused by varying chainstay lengths, but do concede that a nice EBB does look nicer.

Pros & cons? Any experienced views of both?

Thanks.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I have a love hate (ebb) and a road rat (vertical drop outs)

I just about put up with the roadrat – because it has v brakes and punctures are rare

An ebb is about a million times better in my opinion

mtbmatt
    Free Member

EBB’s can slip and seize up. Bolts tend to rust unless they are stainless/ti. Seat height alters with chain tension, all be it a small amount. The problems depend on the particular EBB though.
    Sliders can slip, disc can be a pain to setup unless the whole thing moves.

Personally, I’d go with sliding dropouts although like you say EBB does look nicer.

Clobber
    Free Member

EBB all the way, mine in my singular has been faultless, who wants the faff of sliding dropouts everytime you have a puncture etc…

wwaswas

EBB is far easier to manage than slidey dropouts ime.

Never had slip/sieze issues with mine.

jameso

There’s good examples of both systems, but I’d go for an EBB if Rohloff torque is added to disc torque, plus the drive tension and impact forces.. that’s a lot of different forces for a slider to cope with. Got a Bushnell on a bike that’s seen a lot of use as a SS and a loaded tourer/bikepacker and it’s been a fit and forget.
    I also seem to notice the BB position change a lot less than expected and less than rear axle and CS variation on track-end bikes I have. If it was to be sliders, Paragon swingers look pretty solid but no experience or idea about the Rohloff compatibility / suitability.

shifter
    Free Member

I’ve had a right game maintaining a mate’s Cannondale ebb but I’m sure a Phil will be better!

nickc

EBB on my Chameleon has never given me any hassle and is regularly converted to SS and back to gears every winter. Faultless

IvanDobski
    Free Member

EBB every time. I’ve never used a slot dropout I couldn’t shift under pressure (inc tugnuts) and sliding dropouts are all, without exception, hideous. By contrast the several EBB systems I’ve used have all behaved impeccably once set-up.

Mackem

Had a slidy dropout on my P7. Have an EBB on my Chumba HX1.

For singlespeed/Alfine I much preferred the sliding dropout. The EBB looks nice though.

bencooper
    Free Member

I have a slight preference for sliding or rocker dropouts, on the theory that they don’t change the saddle/BB position – but in all honesty the difference between bad and good implementations of either system is much bigger than the differences between systems.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘EBB vs. Sliding Dropouts: Views please’ is closed to new replies.