Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Ebayists/sellers- when is the month end? (STW knows everything)
  • Northwind

TL;DR version- this month ends on sunday 31st. Can’t decide whether to do my big monthly sales run to end on sunday 31st (for people who get paid on the last working day) or on sunday the 7th (for people who get paid on the first)

Long version; I have a side-thing, buying, selling and reconditioning collectable toy guns. Don’t arsk me why this happened, I don’t really know, but it paid for my last bike so I’m not complaining. During the month I sell low value, run of the mill stuff and I’m not too bothered about the lower sales prices, I just need to keep the stock moving (I tend to end up with a lot of chaff along with the good stuff, buying collections and job lots and the like). At month end I sell all the good stuff. (on a sunday evening, seems to be the best time for me). I’ve experimented with this and there’s a really clear difference between month end (paydays) and midmonth, just with the nature of the items.

But indecision! This month, sunday evening is the last day of the month. Lots of people will have been paid on the friday. But others will be paid on the first. I don’t want to miss the wave. Any idea what the best “month end” day will be? I think this sunday. But I don’t know…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Regardless of payday, I give my kids their pocketmoney every Saturday. So best end on Friday night and they can pay next day

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Well who’d have thought it, stw has its very own arms dealer!

ravingdave

I am listing loads of stuff this Sunday. To sell on 31st. My logic is its close enough for people who get paid on the 1st for them to bid on Sunday night knowing they can pay within 24hrs of winning the auction.

ravingdave

And most people get paid on the last wprkong day of the month which will be 29th this month

Northwind

Good point that Ravingdave, cheers! @Charliemungus, friday didn’t work well for me, these aren’t really pocket money tbh. The wee bits aye but the ones that actually pay the bills, not so much.

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

Well who’d have thought it, stw has its very own arms dealer!

I’ve supplied all three parts of the british armed forces now 😆 MOD procurement eh.

Cougar

I get paid on the 28, which is of no help to you I know. But,

If pay-day falls on a weekend, I get paid earlier rather than later. So on that logic, you’re better off with Sunday.

njee20
    Free Member

I reckon the norm is definitely in the last week of the month, 25th, 28th and last day most commonly. Go for 31st for sure.

Sundayjumper

I get paid dividends quarterly, does that help ?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Pensions happen weekly (Mons), monthly (about midway) and quarterly, in case that helps. For me, though it is irrelevant as I’m not into toy guns.

Northwind

@Cougar- yeah, I think that’s the norm these days, paid early if it falls on a weekend. TBH the whole “paid at the end of the month” thing is less common than it was anyway but it does still give a bump.

Sundayjumper – Member

I get paid dividends quarterly, does that help ?

Dunno. How many toy guns do you intend to buy this month? 0, 1-5, 6-10, Don’t Know. Tick One Box

slowoldgit – Member

For me, though it is irrelevant as I’m not into toy guns.

I have some bows if that’s any use?

simon_g

Last Friday of the month for us, so 5 weeks between paydays this month.

Given that Paypal do the “Pay after delivery” thing (which in reality is 14 days before they take anything), does it matter so much sales-wise now?

Northwind

simon_g – Member

Given that Paypal do the “Pay after delivery” thing (which in reality is 14 days before they take anything), does it matter so much sales-wise now?

That’s a good question actually, I like it! I’ve a feeling it goes mostly on feeling of affordability but maybe over time people’ll get more used to pay-after-delivery as a payday advance or whatever.

maccruiskeen

Just to muddy the waters I used to work for a local authority and got paid 13 times a year (every 4 weeks) instead of every calendar month so pay day fell on a different date each month.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m paid on 20th of each month, previous employer was 10th! 😀

sweaman2
    Free Member

Just to muddy the waters I used to work for a local authority and got paid 13 times a year (every 4 weeks) instead of every calendar month so pay day fell on a different date each month.

Sweamrs is the same. Makes cashflow a real pain as almost everything else is monthly.

maccruiskeen

Sweamrs is the same. Makes cashflow a real pain as almost everything else is monthly.

Except for the magical 13th ‘month’ where you get a pay check and no bills to pay.

Always fell in July for me and paid for a holiday

dannybgoode

And most people get paid on the last wprkong day of the month which will be 29th this month

I’ve never been paid last day of the month. Everywhere I’ve worked has paid on the 25th.

No idea why…

Northwind

OK cool, that helps a lot guys, ta!

I used to be paid on the 15th. Fun fact, banking fans- one of the reasons we’ve moved away from the traditional month end is that banks incentivised major customers to move bulk transactions away from traditional dates, to reduce stress on the payment processing networks and operators. I have the best facts… everyone loves my facts, they’re tremendous. Believe me.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Ebayists/sellers- when is the month end? (STW knows everything)’ is closed to new replies.